Xpedition Digital pics question

CSloan

CSloan, Yes, they did... I think it was about $10 per CD. It seemed to be a very reasonable price. One important note.... CDs hold ~700MB. But, I don't think you can use a large card like a 1 or 2 GB card that has 700 MB or less on it. From what I remember that won't work with their equipment. I'm not 100% sure about that though since I just downloaded my pics to my laptop and didn't use the CD service. I'm positive that you would not be able to burn a CD from a "full" 1 or 2 GB card though. Maybe somebody else has a better memory.

Dave:)

Thanks, Dave. I'm looking at buying a portable photo/media storage thing (like Media Buddy) to download my pics so I won't have to take a bunch of cards with me. I'll have 2 cameras that take different media. But, if they do the cd's onboard, that might even be a better idea. I could have them burned to cd, then reuse the cards.

On Princess ships I've been on, they've downloaded all the pics from the cards to a pc, then burned to one or more cd's, so the size of the media wasn't an issue. But, maybe they do it differently on the Xpedition?

I've thought about taking my laptop, but it's a 17" screen, so it's kinda big to be hauling around. How did you make out taking your laptop? Was is worth taking it?

CSloan, I didn't use the "machine" that they had on the Xpedition to download my pics because I had my laptop. So, I didn't pay close attention to it. It is made by Kodak... yellow with the red Kodak logo. I don't remember much else about it...

My laptop has a 15 inch screen; it's a Dell. I could NOT get it to work with the wireless internet on the ship. However, Jason hooked me up with a ethernet cable (right below or next to the Kodak CD machine in the Discovery Lounge). I plugged it in and I was "wired" to the internet. So, I didn't have to wait for anyone to finish with the ship's laptop.

The only "problem" I had was the weight of my carry on. Nobody ever checked it (thank goodness), but I had my laptop, my "brick", my camera, batteries, etc. I would have preferred to have carried less, but it was worth it. Being able to transfer my pics to something I could see on a big screen allowed me to determine whether I was really getting good pictures or not.

Note: If I had to do it again, I'd take my laptop again.

Dave :)

CSloan, I didn't use the "machine" that they had on the Xpedition to download my pics because I had my laptop. So, I didn't pay close attention to it. It is made by Kodak... yellow with the red Kodak logo. I don't remember much else about it...

My laptop has a 15 inch screen; it's a Dell. I could NOT get it to work with the wireless internet on the ship. However, Jason hooked me up with a ethernet cable (right below or next to the Kodak CD machine in the Discovery Lounge). I plugged it in and I was "wired" to the internet. So, I didn't have to wait for anyone to finish with the ship's laptop.

The only "problem" I had was the weight of my carry on. Nobody ever checked it (thank goodness), but I had my laptop, my "brick", my camera, batteries, etc. I would have preferred to have carried less, but it was worth it. Being able to transfer my pics to something I could see on a big screen allowed me to determine whether I was really getting good pictures or not.

Note: If I had to do it again, I'd take my laptop again.

Dave :)

Thanks Dave. Decisions! Decisions!

The Expedition has one of the Kodak Picture Maker machines in the lounge. It accepts various types of media and burns your photos onto a cd. If your card exceeds what the cd holds, it will automatically burn as many cd's as needed.

HTH, Lee

Archived