Overall Water Temp vs Caribbean

Perki

We are considering changing things up this next year and visiting Hawaii instead of the Caribbean and we love to spend our days at the beach. Our idea of getting in the ocean is a quick walk in the water, splash about a bit, jump some small waves if there are any, and then go back to our loungers for more sun and drinks. Question is, we can comfortably walk into the water in the Caribbean but how about say Maui, Lahaina, in May? Will I be retreating due to my ankles freezing or should we be OK it'll just take a little bit to get used to the temp? Thank you!

Water temperatures usually vary from about 75 F (Feb)to 84 F. (July) It's not as warm as the Caribbean, but not cold enough to send you into shock. If you want truly bath temperature water, go to Tahiti. there the water is almost too hot to swim in.

Charlie

We are considering changing things up this next year and visiting Hawaii instead of the Caribbean and we love to spend our days at the beach. Our idea of getting in the ocean is a quick walk in the water, splash about a bit, jump some small waves if there are any, and then go back to our loungers for more sun and drinks. Question is, we can comfortably walk into the water in the Caribbean but how about say Maui, Lahaina, in May? Will I be retreating due to my ankles freezing or should we be OK it'll just take a little bit to get used to the temp? Thank you!

Any time of the year is good for splashing in the water in Hawaii !!:)

Its a year round destination. Roughly same lattitude as Riviera Maya, Turks and Caiicos, Cuba, to give you a comparason. no worries about freezing feet!!!:)

It IS definitely colder than the Caribbean though. I immediately noticed the difference when we were in the Caribbean. My DW who usually is reluctant to go swimming because of the water temperature in winter at home had great fun swimming in the Caribbean. Of course, we're from Hawaii so our cold tolerance might be best described as "wimps". :D

Spleen

Spleen: Your DW is in good company. My DH uses a short-sleeve, lightweight wetsuit top (bought it in Hawaii and loves it) year round for Hawaiian waters. It gives his core just the bit of warmth he needs. (Maybe I don't need one because I'm a bit of a curvy girl with a few pounds of extra padding--just enough to keep out the cold. LOL.) He grew up back east with the warmer ocean waters than the Pacific coast of the mainland and is a definite wimp here. OTOH, we are both total cold weather wimps because we live on the coast where it's hardly ever too cold or too hot. (Heck, we've spent Christmas day sailing in sweaters and shorts, and we've had Thanksgivings with temps in the 80's. Yep, we are wimps.;) )

I have never found the water in Hawaii too cold, but definitely do shorter water sessions in the winter. The fall is primo, IMO. OTOH, I grew up near CA's northern and central coast, romping in the cold Pacific waters. Unlike the gulf and Altantic coasts, we do not have the gulfstream to warm us up. Don't be fooled by the hype--our Pacific waters are, as my best friend would say, butt cold. In fact, last spring we had cold waters coming in that made our ocean temps colder than the ocean temps in southern Alaska.:( Charming. It's funny too because my Norwegian (exchange) family just couldn't understand why we don't swim in the ocean year round; they do, in winter water temps substantially higher than ours, thanks to that gulfstream.

Our highest high is about 60 degrees in the fall, so for me Hawaii at 75 degrees is lovely. Then again, the water temps in the Eastern Caribbean in April/May were incredible. My DH didn't use his wetsuit top at all.

We're visiting your fair state this winter and then again next October. We've been to Hawaii during practically every other month of the year and planned October for the warmest water temps and slightly lower air temps (compared to August). It's a land trip that will include a week in Kona, so finally, finally we will be able to do the Fairwinds to K-Bay.:D (We don't want to fuss with it on our PoH cruise this winter. And BTW, looking forward to a nice review from you in November.)

Anyway, your DW is not alone in her wimpness.

beachchick

Archived