Best and Worst Tablemate Stories..........

Crstyne

On our cruise in 1999 we had an 8 top - me & DH, his sister and DH, and a mom, dad & 2 teen sons from Texas. One son was 18, the other 15. It would appear that on the first night or two they were on their "good" behavior, and then they changed. The last three or four nights were spent bragging about all of their sons "conquests" on the ship. They would give their S&S card to their sons to buy alcohol for themselves and the young girls they were "courting", and then their sons would brag to them about scoring with these girls, which they then proudly shared with us. (All I could think about was my 15 year old DD at home:eek: ). Couple this with the fact that SIL and BIL could not make it 20 minutes without a cigarette break, so they left the dinner table about 3 or 4 times each meal. The Texas mom got really drunk one day at sea and was seen puking her guts out on the pool deck. I'm sure her kids were proud!

Our other 5 cruises we have had lovely tablemates. On our cruise last February, one couple at our table won the free cruise BINGO game and took us all out for drinks after to celebrate!:p

Last year I experienced what I refer to as "the table from hell." This was a 10 top. On the first evening there were only three that showed up, myself and two males. As we chatted the gentleman across the table shared that he was a retired teacher. The other male who had the answer to everything and everyone started to cast aspersions on the sexual orientation of the retired teacher. I was quite annoyed and the gentleman took everything lightly. By the following evening although there were some other tablemates, the teacher had changed tables.

I sat there and listened to this opinionated know-it-all. He told us what we should order and what we shouldn't. He told an older Canadian gentleman that he didn't need to use a fork and a spoon for his dessert. This is a British tradition.

One evening I asked him if he went to mass. He was rude and said that since he didn't know the priest he did not have to attend. At this point I said "but you do". I informed him that the Monsignor was indeed the retired school teacher who had been at our table on the first night.

Half way through the 30 day cruise I could not stand any more of this table from hell, as this only deals with one of the difficult individuals, and changed to a table with a fun loving bunch.

Fran

Lobster and Running Butter....Boston Marathon, very funny!

My first cruise back when I was 18, I was tabled with my friend, a newlywed couple and a drunk lady. She would drink B-52's every dinner and after she finished each one, she would slam her hand down on the table and yell "another one landed!" :eek:

event.png

We had an 8 top table on our first cruise hoping to meet some interesting people and have some fun conversations.

Unfortunately the other couple at our table were very borring...I don't need people to entertain me so I'm not complaining about that, but they just didn't have anything interesting to say at all. The wife was allergic to everything and that was pretty much all they ever talked about.

The 2 other couples only ever showed up for 1 night each and were so put off by the allergy queen that they didn't ever come back. We didn't want to be rude so we stuck with it and tried to coax them into interesting conversation to no avail.

Hopefully we will have a better showing and more lively conversation in September:D

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet on this thread, but our best experience with tablemates was with a great group of CC'ers we met on our 19 day transatlantic cruise last year. Thank goodness for Personal Choice dining, as we ended up planning to dine together most of the cruise, and had a terrific time getting to know each other. It was great meeting beforehand online, for sailaways every port day, and even some excursions. What a fantastic experience!

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago we were on the Epirotiki Olympic, a ship thankfully no longer in service, and were assigned to a table with an elderly couple, who refused to speak and a couple of young women, who knew they were too good for the rest of us. After the first night, the young women did not return to the table.

However, the tenor of the cruise for some reason was terrible. The majority of the passengers onboard hated anyone who spoke English, (this was in the 90's) and by the end of the cruise, all English speakers were best buddies. Even the crew was commenting they had never seen anything like it.

So far, we've had good tables.

Honeymoon was with some other honeymoon couples and (oddly) some Korean students (all girls). I don't know why they were with us, but it was great! I thought it was funny that the other honeymooners were similar in careers as us, but reversed in which sex was what job!

Alaska 1 was just us. Not as much fun, but more romantic.

Alaska 2 was with my in-laws. I love my in-laws. My two sister-in-laws were soon know through the whole ship. "the sisters" and people constantly said hi to them at dinner.

Our last cruise was that open seating. I honestly don't really remember a 'good' table. Some ok people, some slightly annoying people.

My spouse hopes we don't get a bad set of table mates. The fear is me looking over at her and asking "can I?" meaning... "may I please verbally rip into these people? PLEASE PLEASE MAY I?"

Some of these individuals mentioned would NOT like being at my table. I can be very nice. I can take a lot of things. But sexism, racism and a few other things will draw my wrath like an angry <insert monster of your choice>. And I tend to remain calm and even tempered while doing it, which makes people more angry at me for some reason. I imagine either those people would change seatings or my spouse would afterwards. Especially since our 19month daughter will be joining us.

Hooked on Travel's Spouse

On the first night of the cruise, we went down to the dining room and discovered we had a pretty pushy waiter. He kept pushing my wife and I to order wine with dinner. We politely told him 'no', and after he kept pressing the issue we told him that for religious reasons we do not drink alchohol. His reponse was that the guy who came up with that (religious) rule has been dead a long time and we shouldn't have to follow it while on vacation. I would expect the dining staff to be more sensitive to food preferences and especially religious beliefs of the passengers. I wonder if he would try and get Jews to eat pork or Hindis to eat beef as well?

This insensitivity made us really uncomfortable to be around him and we opted to avoid the dining room for the rest of the cruise. We ended up missing out on Lobster night, since that's not offered outside the dining room. We found the evening food in the windjammer pretty much matched the regular dining room menu, with the exception of Lobster. We bumped into our 1st night tablemates and found out that they booked Portofino for every other night of the cruise and hadn't returned to the dining room either.

On the first night of the cruise, we went down to the dining room and discovered we had a pretty pushy waiter. He kept pushing my wife and I to order wine with dinner. We politely told him 'no', and after he kept pressing the issue we told him that for religious reasons we do not drink alchohol. His reponse was that the guy who came up with that (religious) rule has been dead a long time and we shouldn't have to follow it while on vacation. I would expect the dining staff to be more sensitive to food preferences and especially religious beliefs of the passengers. I wonder if he would try and get Jews to eat pork or Hindis to eat beef as well?

I also for religious reasons do not drink, so I can relate. On the last 4 cruises I've been on, it's usually the bartender that walks around table to table that is most pushy. I guess we have had good luck with the regulars.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Norwegian Sea on a Southern Caribbean itinerary and happened to be seated with a late 20's man from Great Britian. He had gone on this thinking it would be a swinging singles cruise and it was far from it. So here he is at our table with my parents who were in their 60's, myself and DH, in our 30's and our 6 year old daughter. We ended up having a great time, even met up with him every night for the 2 for one drinks where we drank Black Russians. One day he came to dinner so excited, he went to visit a Cricket field and they actually let him go out on the field and touch the grass. It was a real highlight for him. It was fun for us learning about the UK and we remember Tony fondly.

Sue

I wish all cruise lines would let you opt out of a table assignment. We normally cruise Princess since we enjoy anytime dining. My DH and I are not the best about following a schedule on vacation we tend to eat when we feel like it - so traditional dining is just not our style.

But I always feel bad when we cruise lines that assign you a dining time. We were on a 14 night panama canal cruise and made it to our dinner sitting twice. We choose a large table figuring that it would be better since there are more people at the table.

Nope. The second time we showed up was really awkward even when we explained we are not dining room people - I don't think they bought it.:(

After all it was a 14 night cruise.

We were on HAL at a table for four on a 10 day cruise. Our table mates came the first and last night only. We saw then around the ship and they were great people. They just did not want to dress up for the DR for evenings. We missed the conversation and companionship which we look forward to on cruises. I don't know what is worse, nobody at the table with you or having bad table mates that you can atleast argue with.

After numerous tablemate adventures (discussion of bowel complaints, rudeness to wait staff, unhappy with everything, come to the table drunk, multiple cases of one-upmanship) we went on a Freestyle cruise. LOVED it! We sat at two-tops at every meal. Since, we have requested a table for two & very much enjoy each other's company & discussion at every meal!;)

• 3 weeks later...

on my last cruise (grand princess) me, my dad and my sis were seated with two parents and their 17 year old daughter. being 15 at the time, i was thrilled when they were all british themsleves and the girl became a great friend of mine an we've been in contact ever since. we made cocktails together and always had a good laugh about our daily experiences. we eve sumhow managed to bump into each other at the beach in mykonos without meaning to. so my tablemates were really nice. hopefully this year's will be just as lovable.

oh and it was fun to chat to americans who seemed to love our british accents:p

• 5 weeks later...

I had a tablemate from the UK who decided it was too hot and stripped from the waist up. Those of us at the table objected politely but no one from the ship said anything and neither did his Thomas Cook tour guide accompanying his group.

On our last cruise on Celebrity, my husband and I (in our early 30's) were seated in a table for 10, but only 4 other people showed up. One couple was in their 50's - quiet, but very nice people. The 2 people were two females (mid to late 40's) cruising together: one was nice, the other was a cow.

The cow was a piece of work. She could not stop talking about herself and would often cut me off mid-sentence. She took somewhat of a liking to my husband, which, for the most part, I just found quite amusing (I'm used to it; a lot of women of all ages just find him quite charming).

What happened on our second night is what really offended me. She showed up in a really low-cut dress showing much cleavage. Now, "much cleavage" does not offend me; what offended me was the fact she singled out my husband and asked him to look at her "birthmark", which was a fake gold-glittered heart-shaped mark on one of her breasts.

I know I shouldn't let a thing like this bother me, but she professes to be somewhat of a feminist, a lover of peace, an educator, and so on and on and on, which I really find quite hypocritical since she was most willing to engage in offensive behaviour that could very potentially cause conflict.

I tried to tolerate her and her behaviour, but it was quite challenging. I ended up not having dinner in the dining room on the 4th and 5th nights of the cruise, citing that I was suffering from seasickness (which was true, but if I had really wanted to, I could have made more of an effort to be there).

What was interesting is that a year after our cruise, she ran for federal office in our riding. She lost. Thank god for small miracles; I would not want someone like her representing my interests!

My wife and I were on the Conquest. On the first formal night we found our table (the first time there) and met our table mates, an interesting couple who acted a bit odd. When we asked them questions they would give differing answers. "Where do you live?" One would say "Virginia" and one would say "Georgia". Yet they were supposedly married, but had no wedding rings. We couldn't get anything specific out of them so we assumed they were spies or they were on some sort of secret romantic rendezvous.

Then it got weird. Steak and Lobster for dinner. Our table buddies would dip their lobster in the drawn butter, then as they ate it, the buttery goup would drip down their face, down their clothes and everywhere. Both of their chins were completely covered in butter. The man's tie was covered in butter. The woman's dress was likewise covered with butter. Then they would stare at us as if this were normal. Butter just running down their face and onto their clothes!

Then they ordered more lobster!!! And more running butter!

Anyone ever seen this before???

Man... did they HAVE to say they were from Georgia?? Jeez... :o

Our first cruise (DH & me) was 2001 on the Imagination. Since we were travelling alone, we were sat with several other couples. We made fast friends with one couple (they are even in my scrapbook). We hung out with a few of the couples at the R-Rated comedian one night and had a blast! We were all celebrating our anniversaries (different years) except one couple. They were dating, although had to keep the relationship a secret since they worked at the same place. I wonder if they are still together. One couple only came to the table a couple of evenings. I would say that it was a very positive experience.

The next year, we brought our kids and were at a booth just for the four of us. Most nights, they would eat and leave us. We got to know the two tables (big group) next to us, and ended up chatting with them the last couple of nights.

Since then, we have always travelled with friends, although I would have to say that our "tablemates from Hell" ended up being my "best" friend. She spent the entire cruise sitting next to me, turned in her seat so that her back was to me. Another couple had joined us for their first cruise, and my "friend" must have felt that she needed to claim a "side" as their daughter and my daughters were not getting along. When I asked the newbie couple's daughter to include my daughter in the plans she was announcing for the night, she made this big scene, complete with yelling, tears and the announcement that, "Everybody thinks I'm such a b*tch". Hmmm, if more than one person shares the sentiment.............

Needless to say, they were not invited back this year!

I have 2 stories:

1. Our first cruise in 2000 was on the Norweigan Sea (not even in service anymore). It left out of Houston, Tx. We were seated at dinner with a Brady Bunch family. She had 4 kids and he had 3 kids and then they had 2 together. Mom & Dad got a suite and all the kids were in 2 inside room on the lowest deck. Mom & Dad paid no attention to the kids at dinner, expecting the oldest of the kids to watch and control the younger kids. Mom & Dad were too busy "romancing". The older kids were resentful and did not want to do it, so no control on the younger kids. We called them the dysfunctional family. We asked to be moved to another table after 2 nights. It was an experience.

2. A cruise to Alaska in 2002 on the Dawn Princess. We were docked at our deportation city and eating breakfast in the dining room. We sat with older 3 ladies. They were complaining about not seeing any wildlife, glaciers, totem poles and only seeing the port towns. They said everyone they talked to had seen all the things they wanted to see and did not know why they did not see anything. We asked what excursions they went on. They said none, that they were going to wait until they got back home to read "all that information" the cruise line sent them. They were just going into each port city and shopping. My DIL and I just about died. We tactifully tried to explain how it all worked and the ladies said they did not know that and wished someone had explained all that to them. We felt so sorry for them.

Anxiously awaiting our cruise to Alaska on 8-22 (Carnival Spirit). Countdown has started!!!

• 1 month later...

I have always had the luck of great table mates, until my Marnier cruise last Nov.

My grandmother wasn't feeling well so she didn't go down to dinner the first night. So my mother and I went. We were directed to our table to find this women sitting be herself. She introduced herself and my mother and I did the same thing. She said her husband was running late, but was on his way. In a few moments he showed up and introduced himself.

She then leaned across the table said something like we would enjoy our first cruise. :confused: That this was her 4th cruise and if we had any questions to ask away. I looked at my mother and my mother looked at me, and then I said this isn't our first cruise. She said oh really? I told her it was my 6th cruise and my mother spoke up and said it was her 7th. You could see this women just melt. She then started quizzing us about our cruises, like she couldn't believe it and was trying to trip us up. After the meal my mother and I had a good laugh about it and at her reaction.

We didn't go to dinner for a couple of nights, but went back on formal night and they weren't at our table.

A few nights after that I was in line to see a show when the lady walked up to me. She explained that they had made friends with another couple and changed their table. I did the oh, well that's nice. She then looked at me and said, You know you have such beautiful hair and a beautiful face. I said thank you. She then said have you thought about weight watchers? I just stared at her for a few seconds as her words sunk in. Once I had processed it and the words had registered in my head. I told her that if I really and truly wanted to fix my weight, I could. But sadly for you, you just can't fix your stupidity and walked off.

When I told my mother what she had said, my mother was out for blood. She looked, but could never find the women.

I cruise alot and always enjoy the different people we meet , at breakfast the waiters were filling the tables as usual and brought a couple to our table of 6 with just two left when the man and women arrived with the waiter the man flatly refused to be seated with us, who knows why ! but later another couple was seated with us the man was a salesman for pefizer pharmaceuticals needless to say the coversation was a blast and we all walked away with ***** :D pens that had special abilities if you know what i mean thank goodness that man didnt want to sit with us IM SURE HE WOULD HAVE BEEN A TOTAL BORE !!!!

Have been very fortunate and have had interesting table mates on many cruises. On our very first cruise (our honeymoon cruise) we came to dinner our first night to a table of 4 with another honeymoon couple. We knew immediately that something was wrong with the man who seemed mentally slow. He wanted to make a good impression and it was also their honeymoon so he said he was going to buy a bottle of wine for the four of us. That is when the all hell broke loose! She kept belittling him and scolding him and it was so uncomfortable for us. We didn't ask for any wine and the bottle was never purchased but the entire dinner I truely felt sorry for this man - and this was their honeymoon! We went to the maitre d and requested a table change to the early seating and were then seated at a table of 8 that also had another couple on their honeymoon. We did a few excursions together and even kept in touch with them. On our one year anniversary they came to NH from TX to see the foliage and we hung out for a day and showed them around. Sadly they got divorced before their third anniversary.

This did not happen to me but to my friend. My friend had just gotten engaged and went on the Valor with her fiance, his older sister, and her husband. My friend was 23years old at the time her fiance was 28 and his sister and husband are in there mid 30's.

One night at the formal dinner my friends soon to be sister inlaw showed up completly trashed. She was so loud yelling obsene things and then she was falling asleep in her chair and falling under the table. So my friend and her fiance were knew they needed to get her out of here. So they apploigized to the waiter and they all had to lead her out of the dinning room. As she was walking out she started to lift up her dress and proceded to moon everyone as she walked passed the tables:eek:!!! . To make matters worse as they were walking her back to their room she was saying she had to pee. Well she saw an open cabin door. As they walked pass it she decided to go right into that persons room and into their bathroom and peed. The older couple in the room just stood there in amazement at the situation. She then came out with no shoes or stockings on and her back of her dress was tucked in her paties. :eek:

They finally got her back to the room but they ended up not eatting in the dinning room the rest of the cruise. WHAT A MESS of a person. Sad for her. My friend was like I thought I was supposed to be the young dumb one. :D

This did not happen to me but to my friend. My friend had just gotten engaged and went on the Valor with her fiance, his older sister, and her husband. My friend was 23years old at the time her fiance was 28 and his sister and husband are in there mid 30's.

One night at the formal dinner my friends soon to be sister inlaw showed up completly trashed. She was so loud yelling obsene things and then she was falling asleep in her chair and falling under the table. So my friend and her fiance were knew they needed to get her out of here. So they apploigized to the waiter and they all had to lead her out of the dinning room. As she was walking out she started to lift up her dress and proceded to moon everyone as she walked passed the tables:eek:!!! . To make matters worse as they were walking her back to their room she was saying she had to pee. Well she saw an open cabin door. As they walked pass it she decided to go right into that persons room and into their bathroom and peed. The older couple in the room just stood there in amazement at the situation. She then came out with no shoes or stockings on and her back of her dress was tucked in her paties. :eek:

They finally got her back to the room but they ended up not eatting in the dinning room the rest of the cruise. WHAT A MESS of a person. Sad for her. My friend was like I thought I was supposed to be the young dumb one. :D

Gee... what a shock that this happened on a Carnival cruise...

Gee... what a shock that this happened on a Carnival cruise...

That just shows your ignorance. The cruise with the drunks at my table was on Celebrity. Thank you - please keep your snobby self off my Carnival cruise.:D

Archived