priceline.com best deals ???

dodygirl

I wonder... Just checked out priceline.com to see about hotels for the night before our freedom cruise and wonder how that site works... is it true that you can really name your price and get a great deal on a hotel for the price you picked ? AND that the hotel is half decent. If anyone can shed light to this that would be super. Thanks.:confused:

For some answers to your questions, go to http://www.betterbidding.com or http://www.biddingfortravel.com and do some research. Those sites will explain how priceline and hotwire work and give you an idea of what you are bidding on. You can also check out the departure boards to see what members here have gotten at those two sites and for what price.

Edit .. I will add that if you need a room for more than two people, you might want to use hotwire instead. Priceline will not guarantee you a certain type of room, it is up to the property itself and they dont have to either.

If you need a room with 2 beds, don't bid with priceline, use hotwire instead.

Also check out carefully the discription of the * catagories so you won't have any surprises. Give yourself at least a week maybe longer for bidding since once your bid has been rejected at a certain * level, you have to wait before you can bid again. There are some good deals to be found, but its best to read up first before bidding. Once you bid and your bid has been accepted there's no going back. You are stuck paying for that room even if it is a hotel you didn't want. Choose you location and your * level carefully and you should be okay.

In July I paid $100 per room/per night for 2 rooms on March 25th, 2007. I got the Inter Continental Crowne Plaza at the Miami Airport, thru Priceline. This was for 7 people and I called them immediately after and they gladly set us up with 2 double beds in each room. They also confirmed that there is no additional charge for the extra people. On their website, the cheapest rate is $240. I think we got a good deal.

dadygirl, I'm going on the Freedom the same time as you are. And last week I got a room for the night before our cruise. I tried Hotwire.com and did 4* and I got InterContinental Miami for $93.00 (that's a great price). It is in walking distance to the Bayside Market Place. Give it a try.

I use Hotwire.com for everything.

Last year, I got the Hilton at Cocoa Beach for $59.00. My travelling partners (older family members) would not use on online service and paid $169.00 for the same exact room at the same hotel. Their tough luck.

Last week I got a Suite at a Clarion hotel in Charlotte for $49.00. The person checking in behind me paid almost 3 times that.

You have to be willing to take a minimal risk, but if you can live with that, you will almost always get better rates on Hotwire. Remember, they only deal with national chains and if you choose the star rating you are comfortable with, you will not be disappointed.

Not saying Priceline is bad, I just prefer Hotwire. They are especially good on car rental rates. Last week paid less than $25.00 daily for a Lincoln Town Car. This is half the standard rate at AVIS.

Give it a try. Just remember, once you click buy, there are NO refunds or changes.

We use Priceline regularly and are never disappointed. Read the descriptions of the star categories and bid for what you can live with. We have always been happy and most certainly have paid less than booking directly. I think folks who worry about crumnmy hotels forget that you say if you're bidding for a certain quality level. If you bid for a four star hotel, you WILL NOT get an Econolodge.

Dodygirl, Yes you can name your price, but it may not be accepted. The hotels that give inventory to PL set a minimum they will accept. If you bid more than that price your bid will be accepted. Study up at the sites that have already been suggested.

Not saying Priceline is bad, I just prefer Hotwire. They are especially good on car rental rates. Last week paid less than $25.00 daily for a Lincoln Town Car. This is half the standard rate at AVIS.

I will have to try them for a rental in August along with my hotel. I want a car in Fort Lauderdale to use the day before our cruise. Can you still return it anywhere in Florida?

THANK YOU ALL FOR SUGGESTING HOTWIRE!!! For the last few days I have been bidding on a hotel around Orlando airport with Priceline (for the night before our cruise). Today I bid $39 for a 3 star and was rejected. I saw this thread and went to Hotwire. I got a 3 star for $37! It even includes hot continental breakfast. I went on tripadvisor.com afterwards and the hotel had wonderful reviews. Thanks again, the last part of our cruise is now taken care of!

I really love using priceline for weekend getaways. I live near Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I priceline both 4+star for $50 always gets accepted, then wife and I go out and have dinner and enjoy a nice night out fairly cheap.

The best is when we paid $50 for the renisance (?). We showed up and they had an open bar happy hour from 5-7. Oh man did they lose money that night.

We also use it on vacations before our cruise. Just be sure to research what hotels are in the area at the given rating. You can do this by checking the available hotels on priceline.

LOL, I started to make a "Make me an Offer" bid on my air into San Juan on Priceline but my nerves didn't let me. With my luck, I would have gotten a flight getting me there at 11:00 for a 10:00 sailing. :eek:

But it might be nice for a local deal like the one above.

wow this is great .... are you allowed to cancel if someone in our party doesn't want to go and do you know if any of these hotels that we bid on are ones that have shuttles to the ports ?

Some have shuttles but you cannot choose which hotel will accept your bid so if a shuttle is a must, you shouldn't bid.

You cannot ancel a priceline reservation. It is non-refundable, which is part of the reason it's cheaper.

wow this is great .... are you allowed to cancel if someone in our party doesn't want to go and do you know if any of these hotels that we bid on are ones that have shuttles to the ports ?

No cancellations are allowed, so make sure that you are willing to take whatever you get.

I just got the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale for $60 plus tax for one night (under $75 total) before my cruise next month. Cheapest rate on the hotel's website is $207 plus tax for pre-paid non-refundable or $259 plus tax regular rate. This hotel doesn't have a shuttle, but staying at a much nicer hotel for less than what the shuttle hotels cost.

THANK YOU ALL FOR SUGGESTING HOTWIRE!!! For the last few days I have been bidding on a hotel around Orlando airport with Priceline (for the night before our cruise). Today I bid $39 for a 3 star and was rejected. I saw this thread and went to Hotwire. I got a 3 star for $37! It even includes hot continental breakfast. I went on tripadvisor.com afterwards and the hotel had wonderful reviews. Thanks again, the last part of our cruise is now taken care of!

I just love a bargain!!!

LOL, I started to make a "Make me an Offer" bid on my air into San Juan on Priceline but my nerves didn't let me. With my luck, I would have gotten a flight getting me there at 11:00 for a 10:00 sailing. :eek:

But it might be nice for a local deal like the one above.

NEVER use Priceline for a flight on the day of embarkation/debarkation. Just like hotels, you are stuck with what you get. Your nerves might have saved you there. :)

I've had pretty good luck with Priceline hotels for both cruising and for conferences. I'm on a graduate student budget, and I know of no other way I'd have spent so many nights in Crowne Plazas, Hyatts, Radissons, and Westins as I have over the last two years. In my experience, hotels are usually pretty good at being able to get you a specific type of room (king or two doubles), though you can't expect it.

Archived