Music on the Century?

michelethelibrarian

Maybe I need to elaborate a bit.

DH is a musician and I’m a music lover, so I was hoping someone could describe the options for us. We prefer classical jazz to the “smooth” variety. Do any of the bands on board play jazz standards?

Our least favorite cruise for music was Princess- too much cheesy lounge music and not enough variety, IMO. We also enjoy rock, pop, classical, and island music.

Thanks so much!

Wondering if anyone has info on live music on the ship. Classical? Jazz? Big band? Piano?

Thanks!

We just completed a 13 nighter on Century and thought the live music provided by the twosome in the Rendezvous (Rythmn of the night?) was outstanding and excellent..after many cruises we have heard quite a few bands!They were Russian...male on key boards and female singer......great mix of stuff and all round competence in every selection .

The big band was good too as they have to be able to accompany every visiting entertainer...but we still feel they choose to play medleys to "show off " an orchestra instrumentalist member more often than not , rather than just provide good music.

The disco was alive and well as it came down through 4 levels into our ceiling every night until 1 am.

As for the band on deck , we think they either believed extra loud is good and what the PAX want, or had to be extra loud to cover up inadequacies in their musical abilities.

Even at dinner every night, a musically accomplished Polish quartet played quite near our table consequently we all had to shout to each other to make any conversation over their music.

Michael's club had a pianist I believe but we didn't go to listen to him.

One visiting guest pianist played some classical stuff and was well received.

The orchestra played jazz one afternoon on deck...but electrical problems meant no keyboards.

have not considered I had much of anything vital to offer in a ship review as things are so much of a personal choice to all PAX, but if there was anything specific anyone wanted to know eg. like the music choices aboard which I gave as I saw them, I could offer my thoughts.

Was there anything you wanted to get my "take" about?

Archived