Constellation Specialty Restaurant Question

osiebosie

On our previous cruise, which was the Carnival Glory, we ate at the specialty restaurant. There was a $30 pp charge.

After the cruise, someone on the Carnival boards mentioned that that charge was not for the food, but was the tip. We tipped extra above the $60 for dh and me. Alot.

I've looked in the book but cannot find an answer, so my question is this. Is the charge pp for the specialty restaurant the actual tip? Do most people tip over and above this amount, and how much?

Thanks,

Shay

Although it is not necessary, many people do leave an additional tip. I think that's fine if you really, really enjoyed the service (the service in most of these specialty restaurants is outstanding anyway). Just don't overdo it. We left an additional $10 at Ocean Liners (for two people) for the wait staff. The sommelier we did not leave extra, as he received a 15% tip on the cost of the bottle of wine (plus whatever his share was of the general tips they distribute from the $30 pp fee).

People have questioned, both here and in the other cruise line forums, just how much of the additional fee is distributed as tip (I don't think all of it is, I think some of it pays for the higher caliber of food and the possibly higher salaries of the kitchen personnel for those restaurants). I imagine it's different from cruise line to cruise line and I also imagine it's darned near impossible to get a straight answer about this. So a little extra tip is kind of an insurance tip too. But again, you shouldn't feel obligated and I don't recommend overdoing it.

On our previous cruise, which was the Carnival Glory, we ate at the specialty restaurant. There was a $30 pp charge.

After the cruise, someone on the Carnival boards mentioned that that charge was not for the food, but was the tip. We tipped extra above the $60 for dh and me. Alot.

I've looked in the book but cannot find an answer, so my question is this. Is the charge pp for the specialty restaurant the actual tip? Do most people tip over and above this amount, and how much?

Thanks,

Shay

Hi Shay !

I have repeatedly been told that the extra charge was for tips, and the money did not go to Celebrity. I have been told this by several staff onboard, so I believe it to be true.

As for if you should tip additional ? That is a personal choice. If you feel the service was outstanding, my opinion is yes, and I have done so many times.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived