have you ever MADE an evening wrap?

Already In Love

was it easy? can you tell me how?

I found a great strapless black dress, and I want to wear my gold-copper shoes with it, but I need some gold-copper up top to balance it out.

I really want an eventing wrap that is a sheer black with strands of gold or gold detail on it. I'm pretty sure I can find some great fabric at the local fabricstore, and my thought is that it may be pretty easy to make a basic wrap.

what do you all think?

You should easily be able to find some fabric that would work. You can go with a long rectangle, or triange, depending on what you want. Procedure will be the same.

If you have a serger (or friend who does) you can easily run it through and get a finished rolled type edge, just like the stores.

On a regular machine you can do a narrow rolled hem. Many machines have a special foot attachment to do these narrow rolled hems.

Or, a seamstress/tailor in your area should not charge much to do it.

I used a serger on sheer lightweight fabric to make scarve-like wraps for my bridesmaids 11 years ago. Easy and cheap!

I made a rectangular wrap of silver organza a few years ago. Super simple, but I made mine two-ply, so to speak, to contain the seams from within. This was before I owned a serger (I do now) but I don't think I'd use a serged edge for something formalwear, anyway. I find looking at the threads to be bring a bit of casualness to the item. JMO.

Do a search for some of the belly dance sites. Many of the professional belly dancers make their own veils for dancing. It is basically a retangular to triangulat piece of fabric. I used to have links tyo dancers that gave instruction on how to make these, how much fabric, what fabric drape well, etc.

You might also be able to find one online with belly dance suppliers since the metalic ones are used by a lot of dancers to create drama while dancing. I typically spent about $20 for beaded silk chiffon veils or metalic oganza veils. They make great wraps for formal night!

Where in Oregon are you ??? Anywhere near Washington Square Mall .. they have a new import shop that has a LOT of belly dancing clothing ..

It should not be diificult to make a wrap ..

ps.. another reason to hate that Meier & Frank is gone .. they used to carry a lot of very nice ones !!!!!!!

thanks for the ideas!

i live in medford, so nowhere near wa square mall. And yes, Meier and frank just got replaced by Macy's.

I coudl probably find an inexpensive wrap at Ross or TJ Maxx but I think it might be fun to try and make one. Ill see if I find some inspiring fabric.

thanks again!

thanks for the ideas!

i live in medford, so nowhere near wa square mall. And yes, Meier and frank just got replaced by Macy's.

I coudl probably find an inexpensive wrap at Ross or TJ Maxx but I think it might be fun to try and make one. Ill see if I find some inspiring fabric.

thanks again!

I'm in Roseburg and used to love Meier and Frank in Eugene and I miss it already!!!

Not evening wraps but I made sarongs for all the girls on our cruise of June 2005 and it was fun!

I found great fabric, used a pattern of my old sarong for the size and just used a close hem.

Some I added braid and other embellishments to but probably would not recommend for an evening wrap.

Anyway, I had a blast doing this!

Penney's just had some on clearance. I bought one at Belk's on clearance for $5. I would think they would be real easy to make. I would check out some ready made ones first for some finishing ideas. I saw one at Diallard's this weekend. They wanted $65 for it. It had a piece of 1 inch satin ribbon all around the border.

I made a blue lace jacket to match my gown...easy Simplicity pattern, only took a couple of hours to put together (and I'm not an expert seamstress by ANY stretch!). It was really pretty. The lace was on sale. :D

I prefer the little jacket over a throw since it doesn't fall off my shoulders all the time.

Archived