ideas for Montevideo?

anniecat

any ideas for port excursion...or shopping or????

We're looking for something a little unique, but will have done the Gaucho thing in Buenos Aires.

We'd like maybe.....craft shopping, museums, architectural tours. Any ideas?

Also....does anyone know of any bead or quilt stores in BA or Montivideo or Santiago?

• 2 weeks later...

From Montevideo you could take an excursion to Punte Del Este, which is the chic-est beach resort in South America.

If if you stay in Montevideo you could shop for some beautiful leather clothes and jackets and local craft items. I don't recall any specific names, but we wandered around from the port.

We took a private city tour that included the beach area and some nice residential areas by car in the AM. In the afternoon we took one of the free shopping shuttles that was going to the downtown area (to a specific craft shop) and walked from there to the main shopping area near the large park. We walked around that area and shopped, then walked back to the shuttle. It was easy. Leather is a major shopping goal here. I got a new wallet, and my father got several belts. You can spend a lot if you want...or a little.

Hi all

The free shuttle to the leather shop is very nice but you are confined to only a couple of stores (all owned by the same folks if I remember correctly)

We were told there was no other shopping nearby. We decided to walk further into the city and low and behold we came to a ped. street a few blocks from the Leather shop. Very much local, totally blocked to traffic, art work in the street and very nice people. The name of the steet was Sarandi

and we walked all the way back to the ship. The name of the street we took

back I believe was Perez Castellano St. If you take Bartolome Mitre street away from the Pier-- Sarandi is about 4 blocks--There are 2 Plaza's --Plaza Independencia and Plaza Consitucion. Both nice-- If you walk back to the Pier on Perez Castellano St. you will end up at the Port Market and almost at the cruise ship pier. If you go to Casa Mario Leather Factory -- (free shuttle) pick up one of the small maps and you will be able to plot your course with ease. If old guy (me) can do it any one can:)

Earl

Day 21---Friday, January 27, 2006 MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY

We had no definite plans for the day. We thought we would get off the ship and with map in hand, and do “our own thing.” However, as we left the ship we decided to take a taxi tour of a couple hours which was very reasonable. ($15 pp US plus tip.) Although we had a little difficulty with the language, we did pretty well. Our driver gave us a grand tour of the area. Our first visit was to El Cabildo (Town Hall) where Uruguay’s constitution was signed. It is now a very delightful museum. The cathedral and burial place of General Jose Gervsio, father of Uruguay, were special visits.

We left the main center of the old city and visited the Palacio de Legislativo (1908), a very elegantly decorated building. It is home to the Uruguayan Parliament. It was a beautiful building with lots of local marble and soldiers at attention guarding doors and their constitution. It was interesting that we did not have to go through security as we do here. Our taxi driver picked us up at the front door and we visited areas on the outskirts of the city including some parks. We enjoyed a drive along the beachfront with all the embassies. We drove up to the presidents home, a very modern building. Our driver got permission for us to enter into the foyer of the building---quite nice.

After our tour, we returned to our ship for a quick lunch and then walked to the old city near our port. Visits to several plazas, seeing the port market, sitting on park benches, etc. was how we spent out time. After checking our e-mail, we returned to the ship.

We took a private city tour that included the beach area and some nice residential areas by car in the AM. In the afternoon we took one of the free shopping shuttles that was going to the downtown area (to a specific craft shop) and walked from there to the main shopping area near the large park. We walked around that area and shopped, then walked back to the shuttle. It was easy. Leather is a major shopping goal here. I got a new wallet, and my father got several belts. You can spend a lot if you want...or a little.

Our tour guide took us to a place called Leather Outlet Club which was on a busy street downtown. My wife found a great shearling leather coat there.

• 1 month later...

We just got off the ship and had fully intended to walk to town. We passed many individual taxi drivers who wanted to take us. Just as we were leaving the area---near the internet station, I believe--there was a lady who obviously had her own tour company. She assigned us to one of her drivers and we had a great time. See previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there on a Sunday in January '05 and nothing, but nothing, was open in the downtown area. We took a city tour and found it quite interesting; particularly some of the best "action" bronze sculptures we've ever seen. The one with the oxen pulling a stagecoach out of the mud was awesome.

We did find a private tour operator that gave us a price for a Sunday tour - from the pier, including the City Tour and than out in the near-by countryside for a visit to a winery for $70 pp if there are 2 people. It was $10 more pp if you wanted lunch at the winery. Let me know if you want the name etc and I'll post it if asked! (Abiding by the rules....)

:D

We found a private guide for a small group, doing the major sites in the city, then a 'tapas' style lunch at a local winery. Price was reasonable, company has been very cooperative and communicative. Let me know if you want a name,etc. or email me off list.

Archived