Jelly Fish

Sarahnade

You can buy suntan lotion that repels jellyfish. I used it at Castaway Cay. Can't remember the name, just google it. I swear by it. We were one of the few people enjoying the water because we had this stuff on. It's fantastic.

and had heard jelly fish were bad around Labadee. We saw a few from the ship when we were pulling into port, but otherwise, no problems.

When snorkeling in GC, we saw one or two , but they didn't come near us :eek:

I will have to check out that lotion !

I had read of the Jellyfish Sting Protecting suncreen. I stopped by my local dive shop for some items and asked about the lotion while I was there.

The guy running the shop said he wore a dive suit so he never had problems with jellyfish. However he said it had been selling well and came from a reputable company so he's probably buy it.

Told me he definitely wanted me to report back to him after the cruise and let him know how it goes.

I've been keeping up with the Jellyfish reports for the past month. (My cabinmate is tasked with tracking hurricanes and I'm tasked with tracking jellyfish)

The Jellies seem to be very bad at Coco Cay and have been for about a month. I've read that at Coco, some beaches may be jelly free while others are infested. Might help to look around.

I figure if my lotion works, I may start selling doses of it while at Coco. I just haven't yet figured out how to charge stuff to someone's SeaPass! :D

Hey guys,

I just was in CocoCay last week and went snorkeling and there was alot of jellyfish...Not so many that you can't go in the water, but still a good amount. My friend got stung pretty bad in her arm pit area and it left little welts for a good few hours (they say that your arm pit is one of the most sensitive areas to get stung) And when we were tendering back to the ship we saw thousands of them heading in the direction of the lagoon, so I can imagine its only going to get worse. Hope I didnt scare anyone too bad but I would want to know if it was me.

I'll have to try that sun tan lotion next time...I bet it works good!!

Hey guys' date='

I just was in CocoCay last week and went snorkeling and there was alot of jellyfish...Not so many that you can't go in the water, but still a good amount. My friend got stung pretty bad in her arm pit area and it left little welts for a good few hours (they say that your arm pit is one of the most sensitive areas to get stung) And when we were tendering back to the ship we saw thousands of them heading in the direction of the lagoon, so I can imagine its only going to get worse. Hope I didnt scare anyone too bad but I would want to know if it was me.

I'll have to try that sun tan lotion next time...I bet it works good!![/quote']

How was the condition of the ship?..going on her soon...

I was in Grand Cayman last week on Freedom, loads and loads of jellies on the Reef and Wreck snorkel trip. I got stung quite a bit on arm/neck/chest area- welts for a few hours even after rinsing off on the boat. Several people got stung on that trp. At the second stop (the Reef part) they called us back on the boat early as there was a huge group of jellies headed our way. The boat went right through them on the way to the dock- it was like a blanket on top of the water. We had a great time anyway!

We were in CocoCay on Friday, and there were quite a few jellyfish near the shore. We were wading in the waves near the rock-climbing inflatables, but there is a net around them. From the shore we also saw several stingrays and sand sharks, which actually came up out of the water and burrowed in the sand on the beach! The Bahamian staff told us that species of shark is harmless, but I didn't get close to see if they had teeth!

Archived