Bottled Water

azgymgal

The brand varies depending on the provisioning port(s) and contractual changes. We've seen several brands on the same cruise.

If you are particularly attached to a particular brand, you may want to pack a supply in your luggage.

By the way, the drinking water on board ship is, in most cases, far more pure than commercially bottled water because it needs to go through at least 5 stages of reverse osmosis filtration. In contrast only a few bottled waters are filtered by any process of any kind (Aquafina, for one, is).

We bring along a few empty water bottles and fill 'em up on board for shore excursions. The water on board "tastes" great and is a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks for your help!

I'm just stuck on a particular brand or two. I tried real hard to like the water on the Amsterdam on our previous cruise. Brushing my teeth was about the extent of it. Maybe I'll try liking our tap water at home before going and then I'll be really happy with the ships water.

Thanks for the Evian tip too!

Since most bottled "spring" water is pumped from underground it is "hard" and contains lots of calcium, often a cause of kidney stones. We did softness tests on different brands of bottled water and found the only "soft" ones were Aquifina since it is a processed water used for soft drinks and some others processed through reverse osmosis.

I have softened water in my home to eliminate kidney stone problems (these are very common in Florida since the water comes from underground, hardness 13 grains) and have no problem with the processed water on the ships. My doctor calls Florida the "kidney stone" state.

After all, they use that water to make coffee, ice tea, ice cubes, and so on. So maybe that "spring" water isn't so healthy after all. Many of us in the office now drink distilled water after several went through the agony of passing kidney stones.

I usually only drink water so having a good supply is important to me since we have filtered water at home. On our last two cruises we brought along a small Brita pitcher and it worked out quite well. We just kept filling the pitcher with ice and a little water and we had great tasting water all the time. We kept refilling the insulated water bottles that we brought along so we would have cold water at the pool and on excursions. Just to make use of the space in our luggage, we packed our medicines and other smaller items inside the pitcher.

Archived