Review: Land of the Midnight Sun - June 2006

TJL

Review of Land of the Midnight Sun - 16th-30th June 2006

A similar itinerary served as my introduction to QE2 back in 1997. Back then I was intrigued because of two maiden calls (Dublin and Longyearben). In fact I'd first visited Spitspergen around 15 years ago on a trekking holiday so the thought of going back there, this time in sumptuous luxury, was irresistible! Anyway, forward to 2006 and I fancied heading for the Arctic once more - to be honest I've never really been a huge fan of hot weather. Anyway, I'll split things up for easier reading.

Cabin:

Things got off to a good start before we'd even got onboard as we were upgraded from C3 to P2. Cabin number was 2154 which, despite the numbering, was right at the front, having been added in the late nineties. It was as plush and spacious as one would expect, the only problem being a relative lack of storage space compared to other Grill Class cabins. The furniture was kind of free-standing rather than built-in, oh and there was no walk-in closet.

Ship:

I've said it before but the old gal looks much better than she ever looked under Trafalgar House ownership. Loads of interior and exterior touching-up and general titivating.

Restaurant: Due to the upgrade we ate in the Britannia Grill and loved every moment, the main difference from the Caronia being the a la carte section at dinner - the steaks were fantastic!

Itinerary just a few thoughts on a few ports-of-call:

Bergan: Lovely town but a shame it was Sunday and virtually no shops open (apart from the market).

Geiranger: I didn't book any of the tours starting from Hellesylt specifically because I wanted to enjoy the cruise along the fjord to Geiranger and back again - it's fabulous and you'll enjoy it even the weather's a bit dodgy. Geiranger itself is a pleasant enough place to potter around - though you might want to go on one of the tours which take you up into the mountains from where you can look down on the fjord and the ship (weather permitting).

Longyearben: Ask anyone at the end of the cruise and I bet most people will say this was their favourite port of call. The town itself is pretty dreary (despite the multi-coloured houses). It's the scenery that takes one's breath away. As landscapes go, it's totally raw and uncompromising. We were blessed with sunny weather and everyone was transfixed by the brilliant visibility, the crystal-clear air and the snow-capped, jagged, Tolkienesque mountains. Just a word of warning - it's bloomin' cold once you get up into the Arctic Circle. Make sure you pack your winter woollies! I've never seen the ship's shops sell so many fleecys - even the supplies of "authentic" Norwegian knitwear didn't half shift!

Only thing to add is that there was just about the right balance between port and sea days (not checked but presume the 2007 itinerary will be pretty similar).

Other observations:

You'll have to excuse me whilst I get on my high horse for a moment but I was less than impressed when, on two occasions, ALL the outside decks were closed to passengers due to "rough" weather. No problem if you're lucky enough to have a balcony but rotten if, like me, you need a good dose of fresh air every day. I the end I just sneaked under the barriers and had a furtive stroll around Boat Deck because I was NOT going to stay cooped up in the Grand Lounge playing bingo all morning! Let's hope that the "nanny state" health and safety culture hasn't replaced Cunard's policy of letting passengers use their common sense. I should add that I'd never be daft enough to go out on deck during genuinely inclement weather. Sorry - rant over!

Back to LOTMS and the overall verdict? Fantastic! Who knows, maybe I'll do it a third time........

Tim.

I fancied being near the action so had originally booked cabin number 1114 which is right at the back near the pavilion. I now realise that this is right underneath the Lido, so I suppose it might have been a trifle noisy. Has anyone stayed in these C3 cabins on 1 deck? did they have any Lido-related problems?

Oh, one other tiny problem with cabin 2154 (P2) is the chance of having the portholes blocked off (as it's forward of A stairway)

Yeah, I'm just too picky! For my next cruise I've gone for a single occupancy on 2128 - a lovely wee C5 cabin near H stairway.

Things got off to a good start before we'd even got onboard as we were upgraded from C3 to P2.

Tim - How far in advance did Cunard tell you that you were going to be upgraded? Did they they let you know in advance or did they surprise you on check-in?

We were first alerted by the agents with whom we'd booked the cruise (Premier Cruise Club who are brilliant). They then forwarded the upgrade notification letter from Cunard.

My first thought on hearing the news was "hurrah - more room in the cabin so I can pack all the clothes I want!"

Tim.

Archived