Planning Process - Half the Fun!!!

JanetMarie

The possible downside: does anyone else feel that slight sense of deflation after months of planning when the cruise actually draws near? In the sense that it might not live up to expectations?

Edited by perditax

• 1 month later...
The possible downside: does anyone else feel that slight sense of deflation after months of planning when the cruise actually draws near? In the sense that it might not live up to expectations?

I thought it was just me! I'm so glad to know someone else experiences the let down. I'm in that right now. We leave in 7 days and I'm looking forward to the cruise, but sad that there's no more planning and anticipation.

Weird.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry hit send too quick. Yes, I do. I think the research and planning just builds even more excitement. One thing I'm trying to do this time is going toward paperless as much as I can. The cruise docs get printed of course, but notes on just about everything go in my phone or iPad. I use a journaling app and a note app (Evernote) for web clipping, notes and checklists. Good luck to you all

I love Evernote. I also use a to-do list program called Appigo To Do cloud. In addition to normal everyday tasks, I set up projects for each cruise. Under the projects I have things like checklists named after each piece of luggage, for packing (items to be packed can be checked off as they go into that piece of luggage). Dated to-do list items on under the project. For example, a to do list item to order my luggage tags will pop up on day 49 for my next cruise.

I also enjoy Tripit (gathers all your travel confirmation emails and assembles a unified itinerary), and ship mate, which lets you put a cruise countdown timer in your iOS notification screen.

Edited by perditax

• 2 months later...

I'm the planner in my family. Over a year 'til our next booked cruise and I'm already working on it. My wife is happy for me to handle all the details, and I'm happy to do it. :-) She will let me know if she has a preference every now and then, but mostly I'm on my own. I agree, the planning is part of the fun. Checking flights, hotels, ground transportation options, excursions, specialty dining plans....

It seems to help the time go by faster. Plus, I feel like a cruise has so many variables that planning well or poor planning can make or break your vacation.

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Freedom. We had a great time. What fun. Planning wise, like CaribbeanCrush, I did all the planning, organizing and mostly choosing the excursions. Everyone who went with us did pitch in their opinions on what kind of excursions, but overall I had to pick and set up all of it. Something I could not plan for was the weather. As much as I tried to constantly watch the forecasts in all the locations on our itenarary, the weather was not going to cooperate. I was pretty anxious all the way up till the wee hours of the morning before we set sail that the weather in the caribbean was going to be stormy or at least a cloudy rainy day AND we had 2 days of back to back beach excursions. Turns out, it was all for nothing. On the days we pulled into port for excursions, the clouds parted, the hot sun came out and not a drop of rain fell. But then, as soon as we left in the evening, I could see thunderstorms looming in the distance as we sailed away. Phew. Luck was with us. But, anyway, planning certainly helped us on this cruise. I've never been to Belize or Roatan Honduras, and without a lot of research and pre-planning, we probably would have missed a lot of things. What I could do better next time? Try to plan a quick shopping trip on shore or at least a popular restaurant or two in one of the ports. Excursions always took a bit longer than expected, leaving very little time to stroll around and shop or pop into one of the popular touristy restaurants. Even if they are over priced, kids wished that they could at least get a few photos, etc.. Some other things to note: definitely bring a lot more sea sickness medicine. Start taking it before leaving the first day. If possible wear the patch and be sure to bring extra. I bought some medicine but not enough. We ran out on the second full day. The seas in the gulf of Mexico were just rough and the winds at night were howling, so the ship rocked and rolled day and night. We all were woozy when sailing, some more than others.

I totally agree-I feel like my vacation begins when I research the cruise, the ship, the ports,the cabin, the pre cruise hotel, the flights, etc, etc. in fact I am new to cruise critic- and I love how this app really adds to the planning and helps build the excitement. Cruise critic is my new binge!

Not sure on the age of all of you guys. I am quite young and I have really gotten into travel planning. I have planned 2 cruises so far and multiple trips to Hawaii, New York, and other places in the U.S. I almost consider it a hobby as I spend most of my spare time. Right when I got home from my cruise on the Silhouette last March I started planning a east med cruise that my parents finally gave the go ahead. I feel overwhelmed but planning to me is just about as fun as the vacation itself. I get somewhat disappointed when I have nothing else to do.

Still one small detail left for our cruise to Hawaii in March. Started planning a year ago as soon as we got back from the last one. Anal? Probably.

Last bump is waiting to see where they plant us. Book TBA. I like to gamble and has payed off big time a couple of times. After many cruises, we settled into an inside cabin. Have cruised in all others and have discovered that for us, just to sleep, shower, change and go. At night and the lights go out, they all look alike.:cool:

Night sky looks bigger on the sun deck than a balcony anyway. Not stuck on one side of the ship. Lido deck and just walk side to side to see it all and the food is just steps away (bars too).

Just an old cruisers thoughts. ;)

Our first cruise was for our honeymoon and my husband planned the entire thing!! I had no idea we were even going on a cruise untill we arrived in the port in Venice! However, we were able to do honeymoon clothes shopping. It was such fun! Now we are heading on the Ruby Princess in 22 days! I have planned this one, but we have been able to shop for wardrobes and it has been a blast!! I am not looking forward to when it's over:(

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I plan like a mad lady... I've learned to not plan to the minute, but I use Excel to make sure I know what we are doing each day. I've got my flights (dates, times, flight #'s, confirmation#'s). I've got my ship info, where we will be each day, what excursions I booked, their phone #'s, emails, or web site addresses, contacts, etc... I've got a separate sheet that has the days broken out by times so I can plan my outfits. Day, evening, travel apparel. I've found that I don't use this as much anymore as I can pretty much guess what I'll wear each day (whatever is most comfortable HA!). And I'll have a sheet with links for everything i look at for research so I have it if I need it. I do have a packing list included. I print it out and take it with me. I make a slash one way as I pack. Then when packing to go home I slash the other way (making an X) to make sure I don't forget to bring anything back home.

But that summary sheet with all the times, confirmation numbers and phone numbers have paid for itself and then some. And yes, I've been known to make copies in case one gets lost.

Yes, I plan like a mad lady... I've learned to not plan to the minute, but I use Excel to make sure I know what we are doing each day. I've got my flights (dates, times, flight #'s, confirmation#'s). I've got my ship info, where we will be each day, what excursions I booked, their phone #'s, emails, or web site addresses, contacts, etc... I've got a separate sheet that has the days broken out by times so I can plan my outfits. Day, evening, travel apparel. I've found that I don't use this as much anymore as I can pretty much guess what I'll wear each day (whatever is most comfortable HA!). And I'll have a sheet with links for everything i look at for research so I have it if I need it. I do have a packing list included. I print it out and take it with me. I make a slash one way as I pack. Then when packing to go home I slash the other way (making an X) to make sure I don't forget to bring anything back home.

But that summary sheet with all the times, confirmation numbers and phone numbers have paid for itself and then some. And yes, I've been known to make copies in case one gets lost.

Sounds like me! Lists and schedules, but my schedule (aside from flights and anything else I change) is just a suggestion in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have To Do/To Take lists that we leave on the dining table for two to three weeks prior to departure (one is there right now). If we're cruising with first-timers, we also have a Pre-cruise Meeting. We had this last week along with cocktails and scotch for refreshment.

To avoid rushing on boarding day, we head to the departure city the day before, get accommodation and pre-plan somewhere to eat. This time, it's a sushi train in Sydney.

To us, planning and preparing is definitely part of the fun.

My wife and I have To Do/To Take lists that we leave on the dining table for two to three weeks prior to departure (one is there right now). If we're cruising with first-timers, we also have a Pre-cruise Meeting. We had this last week along with cocktails and scotch for refreshment.

To avoid rushing on boarding day, we head to the departure city the day before, get accommodation and pre-plan somewhere to eat. This time, it's a sushi train in Sydney.

To us, planning and preparing is definitely part of the fun.

I love the idea of posting the lists were they are visible to everyone. I am the maker and keeper of the list! It might be more fun (and helpful) if my wife could see them.

I'm a crazy planner when it comes to vacation....I'm still almost a year out and have already planned luggage, cruise, hotel pre cruise, tours pre cruise, excursions-planned not booked yet [emoji17],flights except one part which I can't book for another week, outfits (this may change), makeup, oh and everything is in excel with a printed copy in my vacation folder. I'm exhausted just typing this. My husband just shakes his head at me because it's not fun for him, I just enjoy the travel planning almost as much as the trip. I'm especially excited about this upcoming Australia and New Zealand trip....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I am a HUGE planner! Last year, I went on a cruise with 2 friends and pretty much planned every detail. To me, planning is half of the trip. Family members have also started coming to me for cruise advice and direction. I actually helped my aunt surprise her family with a cruise early this year -- she's been planning it for the last several months!

This upcoming cruise will be the most exhilarating to date as it's my first time traveling internationally for a cruise. The cruise is 10 nights but the entire trip is 18 days. I've booked the flight and hotels (which I still change from time to time). The tours and restaurants will be next. I use Microsoft One Note as my travel folder. I have it on my iPad, phone and computer, so it goes everywhere with me. I will probably stop with all the planning as of 1 month before I leave and then start the glorious stage of shopping and packing!

I do like the idea of doing something cruise related each month on the day you depart. I will start that in March! :)

Edited by Virtopia

• 4 months later...

I am another crazy planner, once booked it really starts and I am another fan of spread sheets and have a master that I customise and then work through them for weeks before each cruise, from simple things to do like stopping the mail, my pre cruise haircuts/pedicures/shellac/facials etc. to huge packing lists for different climates and all the just in case things I want to take!

My cruise wardrobe choices are hung up separately, well actually it is in a cruise room full of everything I need, now even my OH will shout upstairs are you in the cruise room?

On that side of life, I plan every detail down to matching shoes and bag for each outfit and what outfits I will wear each day, yeah I am on holiday and folk say chill out and go with the flow but you won't catch me in the same outfit twice, so it requires planning:D:D Also when you forget that one thing or need something I am the gal that will have it!

We live near two ports (PC/T) so can take as much luggage as we like! Driving to Miami for the next one though but still taking three suitcases for a 2 week cruise and that is just me! Other half will have 2, I plan those out too and know down to needle and cotton what is in each case/bag/box. Hand luggage will consist of a roll on and handbag!

In the final planning stage now of finding a hotel with parking included and getting cover organised for our 2 businesses and we are on our way complete with spreadsheets for the way back so I don't forget anything!

Probably sound like a crazy person:eek:

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 1 month later...

I'm so bad my current cruise for October is all ready. I am now planning the next cruise even though it will be 2 to 3 years. I am going to book the next one while I'm on cruise in October.

Think Alaska or eastern med or north Europe Hopfully 10 days or longer. I may do a shorter cruise on a luxury line. I'm a Loyal to Royal. So the question is celebrity or Azamara?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would have to agree with your statement about it being 70% of the fun and planning a cruise. I do get the biggest high of endorphins when I am planning a cruise or anticipating line it's like when you go on the cruise it's kind a like the last few days of vacation did you enjoy it but the anticipation never lives up to the expectation but it's still fun to cruisei