Confusion regarding rewards certificate payment

alwayssingin

I just called to make a payment on our cruise. The balance due was $1396.88. I paid only $396.88 since I am in possession of two, $500 certificates that I plan on mailing this afternoon. Final payment is not due for another five weeks, but we will be leaving in a couple of weeks and be out of the country during that time. I wanted to get everything sent in prior to that time.

My confusion is this. The rep I spoke with said that I need to make final payment, then send in the certificates and get credited when they get posted to the reservation; she then turned around and said that since I am sending them in five weeks before final payment is due, there shouldn't be a problem as they should have plenty of time to go through the system. So which is it? Should I call back and make another $1000 payment, or should I go with my original plan and mail the $1000 certificates as final payment? She also made a comment that "points do not equal dollars." Well, I cashed in 1000 points and got $1000 in certificates, so what else would they equal?

Has anyone else used certificates as final payment?

I've always sent mine in through my TA, but here's my experience. I normally get him the certificates about a month of so before final payment is due. He sends them in to NCL, watches for them to be credited to our account, and then I settle up any balance due with him. I don't know if it's any different if you're working directly with NCL, but they've processed ours before processing the final payment in both cases.

I called to make final payment about two weeks early, paid the balance left after my certificate would be applied and then I mailed our certificate to the address on the back. Account paid in full no problem.

Once in the past I paid in full and then mailed the certificate after final payment and they credited my card back so it should work either way.

I've always sent mine in through my TA, but here's my experience. I normally get him the certificates about a month of so before final payment is due. He sends them in to NCL, watches for them to be credited to our account, and then I settle up any balance due with him. I don't know if it's any different if you're working directly with NCL, but they've processed ours before processing the final payment in both cases.

That's what we do as well. Never been a problem and we don't have to worry and watch that a credit is posted back to the credit card (although I have seen many posting that people have been successful doing that also)

-Monte

I just called this week to get a $500 certificate. My plan is to give it to my TA to put toward final payment. I hate having to deal with getting credits afterward. It's one more thing to have to monitor and follow up on when I'm taking the cruise to get away from that kind of thing! lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update since I started this thread.

I mailed my two, $500 certificates off as final payment to NCL via USPS priority, certified, return receipt last Thursday ($8.30). I checked my booking online this morning and it said I still owed $1000. I just checked it again, and it now says "Vacation Paid in Full!" I haven't even received my return receipt yet! :D

I just called to make a payment on our cruise. The balance due was $1396.88. I paid only $396.88 since I am in possession of two, $500 certificates that I plan on mailing this afternoon. Final payment is not due for another five weeks, but we will be leaving in a couple of weeks and be out of the country during that time. I wanted to get everything sent in prior to that time.

My confusion is this. The rep I spoke with said that I need to make final payment, then send in the certificates and get credited when they get posted to the reservation; she then turned around and said that since I am sending them in five weeks before final payment is due, there shouldn't be a problem as they should have plenty of time to go through the system. So which is it? Should I call back and make another $1000 payment, or should I go with my original plan and mail the $1000 certificates as final payment? She also made a comment that "points do not equal dollars." Well, I cashed in 1000 points and got $1000 in certificates, so what else would they equal?

For our last cruise on 9/9, I mailed in 2 $500 certificates by Certified Mail to the address on the confirmation form with a letter telling them to apply them to my reservation and I would be paying the remaining balance on my NCL card that they have on file.

I tracked my certified letter online and then called a few days after it was received and then they e-mailed me another confirmation with the $1,000 added and then I charged the rest 2 days before final payment was due.

Points under $500 do not equal dollars. Any certificate under $500 is for upgrades and not applied as money.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

She also made a comment that "points do not equal dollars." Well, I cashed in 1000 points and got $1000 in certificates, so what else would they equal?

She is right points is points not dollars.:D They have no cash value if they did you would have to declare them as income and pay taxes :eek: They are only good to reduce the fare on an NCL cruise.

NCL does not book them as income either. Like FF miles they are in fact a liability to the company.

Most people as posted send the vouchers in advance of final and then pay the balance after they post.

On my last NCL cruise I paid the deposit, handed the TA $2000 (4 $500 certificates) and then settled up with what was left.

The certificates were handled as "cash" in my transaction with the TA.

I don't think I'd wait till it got too close to the final payment as I wouldn't want to have to wait for a credit etc.

Okay..please excuse the ignorance but you have my curiosity peaked...Just what are reward certificates and how does one go about getting them? I'm assuming it is tied to a credit card, but anyone who could offer an explaination, it would be most appreciated...thanks....

Okay..please excuse the ignorance but you have my curiosity peaked...Just what are reward certificates and how does one go about getting them? I'm assuming it is tied to a credit card, but anyone who could offer an explaination, it would be most appreciated...thanks....

Yes, they are tied to a credit card. Here is the direct link https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=KWYS&mc=A000001QFY for the infomation or you can go to the NCL home page http://www.freestylecruising.com/ and link from there.

You can do a search on this board, there are LOTS of post describing the program. The card is from MBNA (now merged with BOA).

Great rewards (nothing like cruising for little/no money). We pay off the card each month to avoid the interest charge.

Thanks Marlissa...seems like a good deal..concerned about the 250 pt cap..I use my Carnival card and I have no cap...like you a pay the card off each month and put "everything" possible on it..just seems like I would receive a "better return for my money" as it were, if I switch..definitely something to consider...

Thanks Marlissa...seems like a good deal..concerned about the 250 pt cap..I use my Carnival card and I have no cap...like you a pay the card off each month and put "everything" possible on it..just seems like I would receive a "better return for my money" as it were, if I switch..definitely something to consider...

Oh, the monthly and yearly point cap is easily solved by having more than one card :D

Archived