Aiport security question

H8mundays

Our flight leaves early in the morning so will be taking my coffee with me, if I do not have it finished before going through security will they make me throw it out? I know I can not take it onto the plane but was wondering if I can carry it through to the gate. Not a big deal just would like to know in advance. Thanks

They will make you throw it away...My friends and I just flew last week. My friend went through security with a bottle of water in her bag not thinking and they took it and threw it away...and on the way home she also had other liquors that she forgot about going through security and they made her threw them away too..

Hope this helps!!!

I would guess that this, like everything else that has to do with TSA, will depend largely upon which airport you're in and who is handling security. We noticed that things like requesting you remove your shoes, were handled differently in every airport we went through. At some they make everyone remove ALL shoes, at some it was certain types of shoes, and at some they just do a secondary check of particular types. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they decide. That being said, I would imagine that in some airports they'll let you carry it through, but not onto the airplane. In others you'll find more zealous security that will make you get rid of it before you go through security. I think it just depends.

That being said, I thought I'd pass on a funny incident: two summers ago we were flying withour then 15-month-old son. When we went through security at one airport we were given the "option" of not removing our shoes. What they didn't tell us is that they would then REQUIRE additional screening. So we found ourselves standing spread-eagle and having the wand passed over our persons. Not a big deal, just more delay that we thought we were avoiding my not removing our shoes. Anyway, they actually had our tiny son, who had not even been walking for that long, standing there, spread-eagle, passing a wand over his tiny body. It was actually pretty laughable and I would have loved to have gotten a picture of that, although I know photos at security are verbotten so I didn't even comment out loud. Anyway, just a funny memory I thought I'd share. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Again, the coffee thing will probably depend on who's working that day.

We flew from Phoenix to Los Angeles this past weekend and liquids were definitely not allowed past security. However, we watched several people carry coffee, waters and sodas onto the airplane. The airline we were on did not check anyone before boarding the plane despite repeated announcements that they would be checking for liquids.

When we flew a couple weeks ago we had to take off our shoes at both airports and no liquids were allowed while going through security. You were supposed to not bring any on the plan if you purchased anything between security and boarding, but they didn't check too throughly. At the Seattle airport, they didn't check at all while boarding and I saw people with water.

Archived