Westerdam Dress Codes

we2cruisers

We will be cruising on the Westerdam in December to the caribbean. We have cruised other lines before RCI, Costa, but this will be our 1st time on HAL. I have checked on their website concerning dress codes for informal night. DH is PANICKED because it says that he must wear a jacket on those nights. Is that correct or could he wear a nice button down shirt and slacks? Any help from former HAL cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

Actually is states that jackets are "standard" :o . That said however, when I was on the Volendam in Alaska, I saw men in the main dining room on informal nights with just slacks and shirt. Personally I bring along a sport coat to wear those nights. Not a real big deal in my opinion.

Cheers.

Bill and Sharon,

Thank you very much. He will be bringing a couple of sports jackets, and suits of course for formal nights, but was hoping that he would not have to wear jackets every informal night, (he is 1/2 hot blooded italian). He will wear one in the Pinnacle, but was looking forward to shirt and slacks a couple of nights.

We will be cruising on the Westerdam in December to the caribbean. We have cruised other lines before RCI, Costa, but this will be our 1st time on HAL. I have checked on their website concerning dress codes for informal night. DH is PANICKED because it says that he must wear a jacket on those nights. Is that correct or could he wear a nice button down shirt and slacks? Any help from former HAL cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for checking the website to see what the Dress Code states. Some people don't bother doing that. As for what the Code says:

During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

This states what the "standard" is for informal night. Some men wear suits ... with or without ties. Some men will not be wearing a jacket, but they tend to be in the minority. What you describe: "... a nice button down shirt and slacks" is no different from Casual Evening dress, so that might want to be taken into consideration.

There no reason for your DH to panic. What is he wearing on Formal Nights? If he's bringing a suit for Formal Nights, just have him wear the suit's jacket with non-matching (but complimenting) slacks (or dockers) and a button-down shirt. No need to pack anything extra. If he's renting (or bringing) a Tux, then since you're traveling in December have him bring a sport jacket (or the jacket from a suit he owns) in transit as his jacket against the cold weather. Then, he has it but hasn't had to packet it. That's how I do it. I wear slacks, button down shirt, and sport jacket for transit to and from the ship, and that way don't have to try and pack the jacket.

The rule-of-thumb for minimally dressing according to the HAL Code is thus:

Casual Night -- slacks, nice shirt or button down dress shirt.

Informal Night -- Add a jacket to the Casual Night Garb (tie optional)

Formal Night -- Add a tie to the Casual and Informal Night Garb

Easy

Bill and Sharon,

Thank you very much. He will be bringing a couple of sports jackets, and suits of course for formal nights, but was hoping that he would not have to wear jackets every informal night, (he is 1/2 hot blooded italian). He will wear one in the Pinnacle, but was looking forward to shirt and slacks a couple of nights.

Ah, ok!

If it's a 7-day cruise there is only 1 informal night.

There will be 4 casual nights ... so he can wear shirt and slacks on a couple of those nights, no problem. :)

On the Amsterdam this Spring San Diego-Hawaii round trip. We had local Hawaii couples at our table. On the informal night, they were refused entrance to the dinning room with out a jacket over their button down Hawaiin Dress shirts. Of course in Hawaii, this is dress attire for most functions. So I guess better prepared than not.

Ah, ok!

There will be 4 casual nights ... so he can wear shirt and slacks on a couple of those nights, no problem. :)

revneal,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. We have no problems with only 1 informal night.

There will be 4 casual nights

Thank you, RevNeal, for that info!! DH and I will be on Wdam for 7 nights in January....this is great to know! I know to expect 2 formal nights for this trip, but assumed that the number of casual nights and informal nights varied from ship to ship, and that it was dependent on the ship's itinerary. DH will be happy to know that he will have sufficient opportunity to wear his comfy, silky hawaiian shirts for four of the seven nights. :rolleyes:

BTW RevNeal, your photos are showing off your hard work! You're looking ever so sharp...way to go!

Amy

Archived