The real deal about renting a jeep and driving to Rum Point

Melismass1

I just got back from my 9/10/06 Miracle cruise. I had read everything there was to know about renting a jeep and driving to Rum Point. I was very exciting about this part of my trip, so I thought I would come back and share the experience.

First of all, if you rent from Avis you are instructed to go to the Blue iguana, who will call for your shuttle service. When we arrived at the Blue iguana, it was not open yet and would not be open for another hour. (Remember there is a one hour time difference) Since we were short on time anyway, we took a cab to to Avis, which is not that close. Once we got the jeep I realized that they had not taken the top down and it looked like alot of trouble if you dont know what you are doing. And my dh didn't want the top down because it is very hot there even in the morning. So I pouted about it until later when we got a sudden and unexpected downpour. (Save yourself some money, get the cheapest economy car)

Remember you have to drive on the left side of the road and that can be tricky. There is also alot of traffic in the morning because that is their morning rush hour. And the map is a little hard to read. We got turned aroud at first. I started to get nervous that we had taken on more than we could chew, but we did eventually make it there. It is a pretty good distance.

When we got to Rum Point we were the first and only people there. My dh said what time do they open? We felt like we were too early because they really werent open yet. The grill doesnt open till like 11:00 or something. Now this is a beautiful beach for sure, but the snorleling is not good uless you go way way out. We felt kind of nervous the whole day because we didnt know what to expect as far as trafic and time to get back to the Avis, drop off the jeep take a shuttle back to the ship, etc.

The moral of my story is this: I am an extremely capable and well traveled person, but this little excursion is just too much for the short time you are on GC. It is also stressfull and expensive. It was almost $100.00 for the jeep including the insurance and gas etc., Plus you have to pay for a cab to get to Avis. We paid 25.00 for luch at RP and it was just 2 fish sandwiches, no drinks. I do not recommend driving yourself to Rum Point unless you have plently of time and money.

It is nice and secluded. The perfect spot for someone who just wants to relax and lay on the beach.

We have rented cars on various islands ALL OVER the Caribbean/Mexico.

There is definately an art to the process.... planning is the key. Knowing where things are and when they open is a big plus.

But most of the time it is worth it..... you have control over when and where you go and for how long you stay. You can stop and take a picture etc etc.... also we have found that when we are on our own the people of the islands are much more approachable and most everywhere we have traveled have perhaps enjoyed meeting the people more than anything.

Our first trip we did the same thing exept we took the $50 economy car.

Rum point has to be the most relaxing beutiful spots we have been to.

We are going again next week and are leaning to the sting ray/ Rum point tour. $ 60 each with lunch, no driving and we will still be able to enjoy Rum Point for an hour or two.

If Rum Point was easy to get to I think it would loose some of its charm.

Archived