Needing Help In California

vbacht

I love Catalina, and I think you and the kids would love it to. Just keep in mind it will take up an entire day out of your 5 days. You can catch the boat in Newport Beach in the morning, I think it takes a bit over an hour, and it will bring you back in the afternoon.

All these suggestions, all these things to do...are you sure you will have time for the cruise???

I also love Catalina. This time of year especially, it is much quieter. But all are right, it is certainly a full day. You will have time to rest only when you get on the ship. The other thing that I do not think has been mentioned is the Long Beach Marine Aquarium. It is wonderful! But I think those of us in the area could go on and on. There is never a lack of something to do. So do have a great time.

THanks Jana White,

I was thinking about the aquarium but a couple of questions!! I plan to do the early checkin at the Queen Mary. If we do the early checkin do we have to line up or do we have time to kill. Also I'm leaving the car at the port do they have parking at the aquarium or can we walk from the pier. Or should we do early checkin, get in the car go to the aquarium and then park at the port.

Thanks

I do not know the answer on early check in, as I have not cruised from Long Beach. But I am sure others will pipe in here to help. However, I can tell you about the easy Aquabus/Aqualink that lots of people use to get from the Queen Mary to the Aquarium/Shoreline Village area. Downtown Long Beach is really quite fun.

Website

http://lbtransit.com/Services/Aquabus.aspx

Schedule

http://lbtransit.com/schedules/pdf/aqua_map_schedule.pdf

If you get the right answer on the early check in, this is a piece of cake and really quite fun.

I was down at the Long Beach cruise terminal today. There is also a red local bus called the Passport Shuttle that for free shuttles you from the Queen Mary/Cruise terminal to the Aquarium and Shoreline Village and downtown. A quick 5 minute ride to the Aquarium and it leaves every 10 minutes. We were meeting a friend who works on the Statendam and it was so easy for the passengers. You will have no worries getting to the aquarium. All the passengers were taking advantage of the bus.

As for check-in. I tried to watch. The Statendam is repositioning to Australia and passengers have been embarking in Vancouver, San Francisco and Long Beach. Only 350 were getting on today and embarkation looked really easy. It appeared that your early luggage check-in will be a piece of cake. I was there around 12:30 when a few were embarking and none of them had luggage. I asked a couple and they had checked their luggage they said really early and had been on the shuttle downtown and back and thought they would come back and quickly check into their cabin before going out on the town again. Mind you there were only 350 checking in so the lines could be longer for you.

Good luck.

By the way, the weather today was 72 degrees with a light breeze and clear blue skies. Typical for October.

You may very well be in shorts and t-shirts during the day, but always have a jacket/sweater with you for the evenings. It always cools down even in the summer. It will probably be in the mid 70's during the day and the high 50's overnight. Unless you are there during the winds (we call them the Santa Ana's) and then the day could be in the 90's. The Santa Ana's are dry winds from the desert that usually come intermittedly from Sept to Nov but of course one never knows when.

Enjoy

I guess I'll pack a little bit of everything. My husband wants to know if it's busy at night on Huntington beach. He wants to take the kids so they can have a fire on the beach. I read some where in the summer it can be busy trying to get a fire pit, I can't see it being busy during the week but one never knows.

I agree w/Janna...you won't have any trouble getting a firepit in Oct. Get there in time to watch the sun go down behind the pier! Be sure to bring a sweater or jacket as it will get chilly. You will be able to get firewood from any of the grocery stores near the beach. FYI...The beaches close at 10 pm. Also, be prepared to pay for parking....I think it is $10 for the lots on the beach (but that is your best bet cause you will be hauling stuff!) Also, alchohol is prohibited on the beaches but if you are planning on bringing wine or other "spirits", just keep the bottles out of site and don't be blatant about it and no one will bother you.

Have fun!

Thanks again guys!!!

Some great information, I would of never known the beaches close. Anyways we are getting excited and I started packing the kids clothes. I also got some tickets to see the Anaheim mighty ducks on Nov 1. The boys were so excited that they will be able to see a NHL hockey game. We live just outside of Toronto but it costs a small fortune to go and see the Maple leafs play. So when their at the hockey game we will hit the malls!!!!

Thanks, Jana white, Suznf, and senior miss and all the rest who have helped. I'm sure we are going to have a blast and I will post when we get back and let you know all the wonderful site's we managed to see.

Cheers!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways leaving in just over a week and you'll think I'm crazy,but I was so excited. Over a month ago I wrote the Tonight show with Jay Leno for some tickets and I recieved them today in the Mail. Now my only problems is finding NBC studio's.

Oh my. Costa Mesa to Burbank. Okay, 3000 W Alameda, Burbank is the address. And you are in some luck as Jay Leno usually tapes around 3pm. I checked Mapquest and their directions from the Residence Inn are as good as any. I do not think there is any really good way to get to Burbank because the traffic can be incredibly trying, however leaving Cosa Mesa just before 1pm you may just be okay. Burbank is about 50 miles away and it is not a good idea to travel during morning or evening rush hours. I do not know how long the taping is, but I would not suggest you leave the Burbank/Hollywood area any earlier than 7pm. Maybe one of you from the Burbank/Hollywood area can give vbacht an idea of where to eat.

By the way, it is very beautiful here today. Those desert winds are here and I would say the beach is about 78 today.

Thanks Janna White!!

We plan to leave sometime around lunch, anyone with some suggestions on where to eat in Burbank. I've also looked on the NBC site, does anyone know if they have a place to eat somewhere in the Studio.

Archived