ncl or royal caribbean?

nycruiseboy

We were on the NCL Star in May. It's a beautiful ship with a really friendly crew. It really depends on what you like. My partner and I love the freestyle concept. In all fairness, I've never tried any of the traditional cruise lines. I really like being able to eat when I want and with whom I want. I enjoy nice romantic dinners with my partner without having to share a table with other people. I also really like the freestyle dress code. I don't want to bring a suit or a tux with me on vacation. With the freestyle dress code the only thing that's required is a nice polo shirt and a pair of nice pants (not jeans). These are my two favorite things about NCL and their freestyle concept. I'm sure that no matter which option you choose you'll have a great cruise.

There are 8 of us trying out the Star for the Mexican Riviera leaving 11/14:) I was a bit concerned because we really enjoyed Celebrity Millenium on past cruises along with a few of the other lines. Just getting eager since we never sailed NCL before.. I am looking forward to being relaxed..

We were on the NCL Star in May. It's a beautiful ship with a really friendly crew. It really depends on what you like. My partner and I love the freestyle concept. In all fairness, I've never tried any of the traditional cruise lines. I really like being able to eat when I want and with whom I want. I enjoy nice romantic dinners with my partner without having to share a table with other people. I also really like the freestyle dress code. I don't want to bring a suit or a tux with me on vacation. With the freestyle dress code the only thing that's required is a nice polo shirt and a pair of nice pants (not jeans). These are my two favorite things about NCL and their freestyle concept. I'm sure that no matter which option you choose you'll have a great cruise.

These are the same raison why I’m enjoying Freestyle. I specially love the dress code “Resort Casual”. :)

• 4 weeks later...

My partner and I have done the NCL Sun to Alaska in '05 and thought it was great. It's true about NCL's relaxed style which makes it, IMO, a more enjoyable experience. We're going on RC's Vision of the Seas to Mexican Riviera on 12/17 and I'm now nervous seeing the 'non-relaxed' posts on here... :confused:

I LOVE the Star!!!!! Would sail on her again in a heart beat. Really enjoyed the Freestyle dining; I ate dinner when I wanted, with whom I wanted - or by myself if that's what I wanted.

The line is very gay-friendly.

... because I've never been that impressed with RCL

It's really an apples to oranges comparisons.

NCL has freestyle, slightly better shows, food in the no-fee dining rooms is on par with RCL. NCL is also very gay-friendly, all ships in their fleet have FOD get-together as a matter of course.

I find RCL snobby with no reason to be. The ships are nice in a "marriott at sea" kinda way, and the voyager class ships are very impressive. Food is so-so at best (actually Carnival beats out RCL and NCL's no-fee restaurants IMHO) ship tend not to be as friendly. Also, corporate policy at RCL is NO FOD parties at all: they came up with some excuse that is they put every little get together people wanted on the daily newletter they wouldn't have room for them all. BS! RCL is going after the family market, and by that I don't mean us!

So I say NCL, but realize it is a different cruise experience.

We've done both...I liked the freestyle dining thing on NCL, but I found the service was much, much, much better on RCCL...NCL did not have a FOD on our sailing, to my disappointment.

We had a balcony stateroom on RCL (Mariner) and a minisuite on NCL (Jewel). The minisuite was bigger and had a real-sized bathtub, which was great! We had a problem, though, with noise from above...the minisuites were all on Deck 11, so they all have public areas overhead.

I would sail NCL again if it had an itinerary I really wanted. All else being equal, I'd go RCL first. I was not impressed about the RCL "No FOD" policy (learned that after we'd booked!) but we had absolutely no issues or problems on the sailing whatsoever from crew or passengers.

I sailed on the NCL Dawn last year. They had an FOD party the first night and then about every other night for the rest of the 11-night cruise. (Of course, after the first night, we all continued to gather in the same place whether or not there was an official party). I liked the idea of freestyle dinnig. Sometimes we would go to dinner with the a large group in a party of ten or with another couple in a party of four. A tip on the fee-based speciality restaurants -- they usually have a 1/2 price special on the first ngiht.

I am going a cruise on Royal Caribbean on Sunday for 5-nights. I'll give you an update on the situation when I return. (I've been told they do not sponsor get together for any groups but that you may post a notice saying there will be an FOD with a time and place of your choosing.)

My .02 - NCL all the way. With most things equal between the cruiselines, NCL is more gay friendly, has FODs and with Freestyle dining you can choose to eat with anyone you want. Case in point, NCL SPIRIT in Feb 06, met 8 FODs onboard (there were many more, but we gravitated to this one group more) we were able to eat alone (the 2 of us) or with any combination of the group we met (4,6 8 etc...) because we could eat anywhere anytime. We just returned from the RCCL ExOS on Sunday, and met 1 FOD, there were more, we just did not meet them, no FOD meetings. We could not have dinner with our new friends due to traditional dining. Now that I have been on CCL and RCI, I know I prefer NCL.

~Intrepid

This is not directly related to your question but........... i worked for NCL for a few years at their headquarters in 93. On my first day of work i was very surprised to read in the empolyee manual their non discrimination policy included "sexual orientation". That was progresive at the time.

Now back to your question, i've sailed both but the last four years have choosen NCL. My friends and i have always had great luck with their FOD gatherings. We always meet great people. There always seems to be between 30 - 50 gays onboard.

I just find them to be a "cool" cruiseline, they always seem to move to their own beat.......... But you really cant go wrong with either line, how could you? :-)

We have been on 3 RCI cruises, all of which (all in the last 3 years) I remember FOD parties in the daily compass though we never made it to any with the time they hosted the parties.

I have read other posts that it's "policy" to not host FOD parties but it's up to the cruise director, if enough requests are made they will arrange it.

As for NCL...I'll get back to this post after Christmas and let you know what my experience was with NCL. I'm hoping the all american crew and attitudes aren't what I've read, I do really enjoy meeting crew from different countries.

As for NCL...I'll get back to this post after Christmas and let you know what my experience was with NCL. I'm hoping the all american crew and attitudes aren't what I've read, I do really enjoy meeting crew from different countries.

NCL Hawaiin cruises on the Pride ships have to have an all American crew since they are flagships in the U.S. The United States requires any cruise ship that is flagged in the US to be staffed by Citizens or resident aliens

OK as you can see from my signature I tend to gravitate back and forth between RCI and NCL.

They are like comparing apples to oranges. I find the food and service better on RCI. I find the shows better on NCL.

I would much rather live by the "Freestyle" concept so NCL is my preferred line but you get great value for your dollar cruising on RCI as well.

I have found neither line to be more or less "gay-friendly" then the other. I think that mostly depends on your fellow passengers. I agree with a previously stated opinion that "you can't go wrong with either one" but if you

prefer a less time regimented vacation Freestyle might be the better way to go.

Archived