?? about snorkeling in Hawaii and equipment.

bubiesmom

My family and I are interested in snorkeling in Hawaii (POH 1/1/07). Can anyone reccommend any good spots to go for beginners? Also, I have not snorkeled in a long time. What material is snorkeling gear made out of? If it is made out of latex, can you rent gear latex free? (I have latex allergies).

Ok, here's my suggestion for you.... I dive and am also Latex sensitive. I have to be careful.... So much of the dive equipment is made of different materials.... So go to your local dive shop or go to an online shop that doesn't mind answering your questions...

I use a mask/snorkel that is made of plastic and silicone... My wetsuit is neoprene, which is a synthetic rubber, not latex rubber. The fins are soft plastic material... But my boots are neoprene boot with rubber sole.. And I do ok..... But again, I'm sensitive, not allergic.

So I would go someplace where you can take the time, do the research with the manufacturer and make sure your not getting rubber latex......Hope that helps....:p

My family and I are interested in snorkeling in Hawaii (POH 1/1/07). Can anyone reccommend any good spots to go for beginners? Also, I have not snorkeled in a long time. What material is snorkeling gear made out of? If it is made out of latex, can you rent gear latex free? (I have latex allergies).

In Oahu, Hanauma Bay is quite well known.

In Kona, there are many snorkeling/diving ops taking people to different places. The most famous being Kaleakala Bay, but it's a bit of a way south of where the cruise ships tender to.

In Kauai, we rented a van and drove north to the end of the road, at Ke'e Beach. It's a good snorkeling place. There are several beaches along the way that are good (Tunnel Beach for example). Or you can drive south/west to Poipu.

There isn't really good snorkeling at Hilo.

You might want to search and buy a set of snorkeling equipment before going. That way you know you can rely on your gear.

About 3-4 miles south of Kailua Kona town is Kahaluu Bay Beach Park, the best snorkeling I've seen on the big island. Last trip, we stayed at the hotel next door; so snorkeling would be more convenient. Lots of turtles and tropicals. A fairly small sandy beach, but plenty of water to snorkel. It's a public park and free of charge.

About 3-4 miles south of Kailua Kona town is Kahaluu Bay Beach Park, the best snorkeling I've seen on the big island. Last trip, we stayed at the hotel next door; so snorkeling would be more convenient. Lots of turtles and tropicals. A fairly small sandy beach, but plenty of water to snorkel. It's a public park and free of charge.

We didn't go there while we were in Kona. But there are local buses that go there. That would be the cheapest option, as the shore snorkeling is free. Or if you have a few people, can get a taxi to go together. Or rent a car, and after snorkeling can drive to a coffee farm for tours (which what we did).

When we were in Maui we took a boat out to Molokini. I was so excited about it, but was then very disappointed. The fish were not plentiful and there didn't seem to be much coral as advertised.

That was about 4 years ago. But, please double check before you spend the money to go out there. We saw much more right outside the hotel.

On the Big Island you will see turtles in the water at the Place of Refuge. It is also an interesting area to tour.

Everyone who took the time to respond, thank you! I have lots of info to look into, especially the coffee farm tours after. That sounds fun, YUM YUM.

Since you are interested in the coffee farm tour, the place we went to see is Holualoa Farm. It is a self-guided tour. Their prices are on the high side. We actually didn't buy from there.

If you are interested in getting Kona coffee, you can consider what we did. I found two farms that had good prices, and contacted them directly. Because we had a few people and wanted to buy large quantities (I think we bought >30 lbs in total, at least 15lbs from each), both of them agreed to come to the cruise terminal area to meet us. There is a large banyan tree as we walk out of the cruise terminal (just before the King Kamehameha hotel), so we met there. The good thing is, they roasted the coffee in the morning, packaged them, then met us around 4pm. After we paid for the coffee, there was still time to catch the last tender at 4:30pm. We timed it well, but others may want to give a little more time.

The two coffee farms were Smith Farms and Koa But that was last year, check to see if they still have good prices.

In Kona, the Place of Refuge is supposed to have good snorkeling. However, just like K-bay, it is further south and if you go there it may take most of the day. It is probably better done not as a cruise stop, but when staying there a few days. Next time if I get to stay at Kona longer, I'd definitely do the Manta Ray diving (and wife do the snorkeling).

As for Maui, we've also heard the snorkel trip to Molokini can be disappointing. In Lahaina, just by the Sheraton Hotel, the Kaanapali Beach is supposed to have good snorkeling. We drove by there and did see people snorkeling. We didn't stop because we were doing the road to Hana round-the-island driving trip.

Archived