Has Anyone Cruised Solo the Australia/New Zealand Itinerary?

w&gfan

Hoping someone with solo experience over there will respond. There's an enticing itinerary with Princess -- a 14-day cruise on the Sun Princess in January 2008. It's a New Zealand itinerary round trip from Sydney (January 2008). Most Australia/NZ cruises I've seen start in Sydney and end in New Zealand (or vice versa) and I thought with the cruise starting and ending in Sydney, there would be an opportunity to save on the flight.

eded1953 -- what Celebrity itinerary were you considering?

flagfan -- were you looking at any particular cruise?

Angela

Hi all,

I gave serious consideration to taking a cruise to this region by myself in Jan or Feb 2007, but just found out about a Celebrity cruise Feb 11-25, starting and ending in Buenos Aires, but with 3 days in Rio for Carnaval. From what I hear, tix to the huge Samba parade are included in the cruise fare. The more I think about that, the more I'm leaning in that direction.

I've cruised alone in the past and it was okay, but I just came off a Mediterranean cruise with a good friend where we made 3 fantastic new friends, and I had so much more fun than I do traveling alone. So I would love to find some energetic, fun-loving people to hang with, no matter where I cruise next.

I'm going to look into that Princess cruise that starts and ends in Sydney, too.

Cindy

Yes, I've done that itinerary, which also included stops in Brunei, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and Hong Kong. I flew into Sydney and stayed there for three days before the cruise left. It was a fantastic cruise, but unless you don't mind the majority of the passengers being over age 65, then it's one of the best cruises out there.

I have to say I was greatly disappointed in the fact that Celebrity chose Mercury to do those cruises. It's their oldest ship, in need of major repairs and updating, and it's just not the kind of ship I would spend so much money on to cruise to that part of the world.

As for a South America cruise, I love those (been there twice), but with all due respect, I really, really dislike Brazil, especially Rio. I've never, ever in my life felt so scared of any place like Brazil. I felt perfectly safe as a solo cruiser in places like Vietnam, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and India where most people might feel they could be a little scared, but Brazil is over the top scary. On one of my visits there, our ship's photographer was attacked by two men with broken beer bottles--thank heaven she wasn't hurt, but they got all her equipment. Constant announcements were made not to take anything with you off the ship in Brazil---no jewelry of ANY kind, no purses, cash, credit cards---nothing. Of course there are always those who don't heed those things, and lo and behold, they were all pickpocketed. My cousin, a big hulking man, went to Rio a few years ago for Carnivale, and he said never again. Too uncomfortable.

If you have any specific questions about solo cruising in NZ and Aust. please ask. I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the info, Darcie. Did you by chance do a ship-sponsored pre-cruise in Sydney? I wouldn't mind spending up to a week there beforehand and was hoping that a pre-cruise tour would be offered to see Ayers Rock and Great Barrier Reef, but as far as I can tell, at this time it isn't offered for the 14-day itinerary I was considering. I might have to be on my own there. I don't mind at all the older passengers (I'm getting up there myself (mid 40's)) -- many are very interesting and I rather enjoy hearing their various stories.

Cindy, I have a South America cruise on my "must cruise" list (with a few days in Rio). But I too heard of the dangers of Rio and am hesitant on that. Perhaps some day I'll make it there, after I hear more positive safety reports.

Angela

Darcie,

Thanks for your input on Rio. I'm taking your comments very seriously. Sometimes I'm overly optimistic because I've traveled so much and have never felt scared, let alone been accosted anywhere. But maybe that means I'm overdue! I don't know, but if anyone in this thread books an Australian/NZ cruise, I would be very interested in hearing more about it.

Btw, Angela, I'm 41, so we are very close in age.

Cindy

Angela, I did a pre-cruise on my own, but stayed at the cruise line's hotel in Sydney. Our cruise stopped in Brisbane, Queensland, Hayman Island, Cairns and Darwin and the ship offered a shore excursion to Ayres Rock out of Cairns, so I took that tour with them. What most don't understand is that it's not all that easy to get around Australia---the country is HUGE. The flight and bus ride to Ayres Rock from Sydney is very long and takes a better part of a full day just to get there. I guess I just never imagined Australia being that huge of a country/continent. Other than Crystal or Seabourn, I don't think any cruise line offers tours to Ayres Rock as it's very expensive and I don't think many passengers would pay that price.

There's so much to see in Sydney. I spent one day at a place that rehabs injured animals. What an experience. I got to feed a koala and hold a wombat---they are just like men, a little cranky until you flip them over and rub their belly. I spent another day at Bondi Beach. It's absolutely beautiful there. Great shopping and nightlife also.

Hayman Island is something you need to see to believe. We stayed there overnight and went snorkling in the Great Barrier Reef. Wonderful !!!

As far as my Rio experiences go, the first time I was there was in 2004 and it was a stop in the last segment of Crystal's world cruise. We left from Cape Town, cruised across the ocean and the next stop was Rio. I was so excited as I had never been there before, but it was so disappointing. Yes, seeing the beautiful men in their tiny bathing suits was a huge plus, but everything else was not what I expected. Then I was in Rio this past April as part of another South America cruise---I've always wanted to see Argentina and Uruguay, and Rio was a part of that itinerary, so I went. Argentina is an absolutely wonderful place. I flew in a few days early just to see everything. Did a couple of tango shows, went to an Estancia and a winery, and of course, the excellent beef. It was well worth it to have to hit Rio again, just to see the other countries on that cruise.

Archived