Cruise Directors and Shopping

I have heard from frequent cruise passengers that Cruise Directors are told by their parent company to direct passengers to stores that pay for the privilige of being listed in the official shopping guide book given by the Cruise Ship to all passengers. However, I have also heard that some Cruise Directors ignore this and direct people to stores not on the list (they get a cut for doing this favor). Has anyone out there heard similar things? Have you been told by cruise directors not to go to the stores in the official guide book and instead go to others? If yes did you find that the stores were better or worse? Please share your experiences in this matter and please mention the name of the ship and the cruise director. Thanks.

If a store pays to be advertised by carnival and the Cruise director is telling you NOT to visit that store.... hmmm.
I never heard that one. On every cruise the director and shopping hosts always pushed the stores on their books. Didn't ever hear them telling you to go somewhere else. They get paid big money for that.

Thanks for your input. Well, the thing is that Cruise Directors usually push the stores that are on the official shopping book but in at least one case I was told that if I wanted better prices to "visit such and such a store and say that I sent you". It was obvious that the Cruise Director would get a referral fee for this. I guess the referral fee must be more than what he gets from his employer. In any case, the store turned out to have comparable prices and quality in the merchandise as the stores listed in the official shiopping book but I wanted to know if others out there have had a similar experience. If you have please tell us and give details. Thanks.

Personally, I avoid the shops that are recommended by the cruise ship. They are NOT recommended. They are just PAID to say that. It has nothing to do with their prices being better, etc...It has everything to do with the all mighty dollar they shelled out! A store should earn it's reputation on service, quality and prices not because they paid a company to recommend them. I search out the best bargains on my own while traveling and don't promote this type of activity by giving the recommended stores my $$.

Archived