Lamanai excursion not being offered- Alternatives please

Casey2

We will be in Belize in December. We really wanted to do the Lamanai Jungle River Safari but as of now it is not being given by RC. When I called to find out if it will be offered , RC said that they were negotiating contracts and they have no idea if it will be offered but it might come back as late as the day of boarding. We don't want to do it privately because of the lenght of the excursion. I am afraid that if I wait any longer and it doesn't come back, we will be closed out of anything else we want to do. We decided to book another excursion through RC and if the Lamanai excursion comes back then we will change the booking. We have until the day we board to change our excursion. We have narrowed it down to the following 2 excursions (we are not into water activities). Has anyone done either?

The Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich & Marimba Lunch

Travel across the rolling hills of Western Belize to the Mopan River, located near the Guatemalan border. A hand-cranked ferry awaits to take you across the river, where you will board a shuttle to the Mayan Ruins of Xunantunich (Maiden of the Rock) Plaza several hundred feet above. Your guide will share his knowledge of the Mayan civilization and the Xunantunich site along the trip. From El Castillo, the tallest temple at the site, you’ll have a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside and portions of Guatemala. Afterwards, travel by bus to the San Ignacio Hotel for a Mayan-style buffet lunch accompanied by music from a local Marimba band.

Wildlife Adventure Tour

Take a motor-launch ride up the Old Belize River for 20 miles. On the way, look for crocodiles, iguanas, and monkeys while taking in the beautifully lush tropical foliage on this varied waterway. You will then make a stop at the Old Belize River Tavern for a Belize-style lunch before boarding a bus for the 35-minute bus ride to the Belize sanctuary. Here you will see all the species endemic to the region, including five types of wildcat (jaguars, pumas, ocelots, jaguarundi, and margays) as well as the national animal of Belize, the Tapir.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Either Altun Ha or Xunantunich offer a Mayan center archeological experience which is as good or better than Lamanai. Some of the Altun Ha excursions also have a river portion which I would take since it was the combination of jungle river and mayan temples which convinced me to go Lamanai.

I agonized over which place to go to; but once there I realized that anything out in the country of Belize was a wonderful opportunity. Belize has the highest concentration of Mayan centers. The really major ones are elsewhere. So really just chose one and Belize-me you won't regret it.

(If I couldn't have gone to Lamanai I would have gone to Xunantunich myself)

Su

LOVED Xunantunich when hubby and I went with the excursion on our Carnival Miracle cruise.

It was FANTASTIC!

You get to climb El Castillo and see over into Guatemala...we loved every minute.

We have chosen not to do Altun Ha this trip...I really wanted to do the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour, but it is an open boat, and I don't think my blonde hair and fair skin can handle that. So we have opted for a snorkeling excursion to Goff's Caye. The water will keep me cool, and there is plenty of shade afterwards. :)

Archived