Surface transportation to Cape Liberty (Bayonne)

GladSailors

We're sailing on Zenith on the 21st of October and are having a heck of a time getting a straight answer on surface transportation from JFK to the port. Some archived posts recommend the Blue Line bus service (they don't go to NJ - I've called). The car services I've found cost around $150. This price makes me wish I'd paid the extra $45pp to fly into Newark!

Newark - Cape Liberty = 9 miles

LGA - Cape Liberty = 21 miles

JFK - Cape Liberty =27 miles

We're flying from Oregon to JFK for less than $150! The last 27 miles will DOUBLE the cost of the trip to the port? :eek:

HELP!!

Sorry. :( But at least you got a great price for air.

We live about 30 minutes(not sure the exact miles from Bayonne) and always use one particular car service. 2 weeks ago the charge was 100 each way. So it could be your quoted fares were on target. We use Air Brook Limosine service and they have a toll free number on their site if you would like to price.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Your best price may be on Celebrity transfers. You can call a cab service and ask what it would cost. The number for this is 212-666-6666. There is a Long wait time. I tried calling.

Too bad you didn't fly into Newark as that's near the port and JFK is an hours ride.

I just moved to Nashville from NJ , and grew up near JFK, so am very familar with the area.

Diane G

Just moved from the east coast to TX last year, and flew a lot into and out of all the NYC area airports. It's a shame you aren't flying into Newark: It's only 15 minutes and a $15 cab ride to the port from there. Flying into JFK is a PAIN.:mad: If you can cancel your air and rebook without penalty, then I'd try and do that, really. JFK is over an hour away on a good day, even if it's only 25 miles. It's going to be expensive, no matter what. It's worth a try.

I am truly not trying to be negative, but perhaps other travelers will benefit by not booking air into JFK or LGA. If we don't speak up, no one knows. :eek: I hope this helps someone else who will be booking air to sail from Bayonne. To the original poster, I hope you can fix your air. :)

Best,

Nicki

I looked this up for you from JFK to Newark (ewr) this is from the Jfk airport site

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connfram.HTM

Hope this helps

Sue

Thanks Sue,

It looks like a taxi may be the best bet - less than $100 anyway.

Does anyone know if the $10 surcharge is for NJ in general or only going to EWR?

Thanks Sue,

It looks like a taxi may be the best bet - less than $100 anyway.

Does anyone know if the $10 surcharge is for NJ in general or only going to EWR?

You will pay the surcharge PLUS all tolls for the taxi in addition to the taxi fare. That will be yet another $10, maybe more if the tolls have gone up (which wouldn't surprise me a bit!)

Nicki

It sounds like the taxi would be the best bet - best meaning cheap, easy and quick, in that order of importance.

I'm not too keen of the idea of us maneuvering around the mass transit stations with our luggage! I did a search on Cape Liberty and came up with this informationfrom RCI (they sail out of Cape Liberty as well). They claim a taxi should be ~$65 (+tolls). However, I'm not sure how old the document is. Still cheaper than flying into Newark, not as easy, but cheaper. It looks like the surcharge is only to EWR. We'll see . . .

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/i-cap...e%20liberty%22

Thanks for all of your help, This is looking like it won't be so expensive after all.

Katwag: Dave's Best Limo, they are out of Philly. We have 5 going with us so we will fill the van. If you only have 2 people reserved they will usually stop at other places to fill the van. But the price is basically the same 40.00 per person. Can't beat that.

I'm originally from Philly and moved to Berks County. I love it here!! :D

Hi Gladsailors,

That link you provided above is 2 yrs old. I don't think you are going to be paying $65, but I could be wrong.

The link Sue provided is probably much more accurate. I would definitely call some cab companies and inquire. If the cost is $78 and you add tolls and then the $10 surcharge you are talking about $92. That's before tip.

You didn't mention how many were in your party, but if there are more than 2 of you, a cab may not be able to hold all your luggage. We have actually run into that problem.

That's why we went to a car service.

Good luck!

CrazyBus,

I was raised in West Reading on Sycamore road-still come back several times a year-mother now lives in Lebanon-I remeber when the VF outlets were the Berkshire Knitting Mills-Berks County is the best.

dsparku: We are in Exeter. We have been up here for 15 years and I can't imagine living anywhere else!! Unless of course it is some tropical island in the caribbean!!

• 2 weeks later...
Check if your cruise is on the Roll Call board - if it is, you can post your arrival time at JFK and perhaps find another couples(s) looking to share a ride to Bayonne.
We have a very active thread, but I know we don't have many cruisers coming from NY. Maybe someone else is flying in the same day. Please come over and visit with us; someone may have a suggestions for you. Either way, we would like to chat with you.

Katwag: Dave's Best Limo, they are out of Philly. We have 5 going with us so we will fill the van. If you only have 2 people reserved they will usually stop at other places to fill the van. But the price is basically the same 40.00 per person. Can't beat that.

I'm originally from Philly and moved to Berks County. I love it here!! :D

Hi Ev,

We are 3 and have requested that they pick us up at a local hotel right at a turnpike entrance in Bucks County. They said we would get a call the day before with a precise time. Ev, remember when I asked if you got a discount? I checked my original notes from way back and they said it is $195 for 5. You can save $1 each....I would fight for it!!:D :D

Have you tried a car rental? A one-day rental shouldn't cost more than $30, and you can do the same for the return trip. The travel time will be under an hour.
Someone in our group is renting in VA and leaving the car at EWR. There is a premium for the 1 way rental, but it's still a bargain. I was going to ask it you checked to see if there is a JFK-EWR shuttle; maybe you can get a bus and then a cab or another shuttle to the pier.

Just to let you know we just came back from the Zenith and used Carmel as a van service. We had 4 of us with 8 pieces of luggage so we choose to book a exclusive van from EWR to Cape Liberty and the return. They were great and they had the van there waiting for us at the return. We had told them about 10am since our flight was at one and I knew we would be first off the ship. I called when we got into the terminal as I could not get reception on the ship and was shocked to find out the driver was outside waiting for us. If you are still checking prices you can call them and see what they charge (800) 9-CARMEL

Vicki

We're sailing on Zenith on the 21st of October and are having a heck of a time getting a straight answer on surface transportation from JFK to the port. Some archived posts recommend the Blue Line bus service (they don't go to NJ - I've called). The car services I've found cost around $150. This price makes me wish I'd paid the extra $45pp to fly into Newark!

Newark - Cape Liberty = 9 miles

LGA - Cape Liberty = 21 miles

JFK - Cape Liberty =27 miles

We're flying from Oregon to JFK for less than $150! The last 27 miles will DOUBLE the cost of the trip to the port? :eek:

HELP!!

Renting a car from JFK and dropping it at the Newark airport MAY be an option (although NY car rentals are twice as expensive as NJ car rentals). It is a fairly easy drive (meaning once you get out of JFK, you really can't get lost).

Otherwise, plan on $100.00 each way for a taxi. You are crossing state lines, there is a surcharge for that service, and you will pay tips and tolls. I took a cab from the Bronx to Jersey City (probably 5 miles from the Bayonne terminal) 3 weeks ago. It cost me $116.00, including $10.00 tip.

I just returned from Constellation New England/Canada cruise out of Bayonne 9/24. Celebrity doesn't do transfers to JFK. They do Newark and La Guardia only. And to arrange a transfer through Celebrity to Newark or La Guardia then take the shuttle from one airport to JFK still ran up to like $95 per person and with all the luggage to struggle with, decided that wasn't an option for us. I was in the same fix, as I got round trip airfare from LAX to JFK for $258 whereas Newark was approx $100 more. Thought I was saving money until I tried to find transport to Bayonne. We stayed in NYC for two days, so needed transport from Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Five different cab companies quoted me from $220 to $450 to just go from Manhattan to Cape Liberty (12 miles), but because they are leaving NYC and crossing into NJ, they can charge you for the return trip even though you aren't in the cab, then approximately the same to go from Cape Liberty to JFK. So if you are getting quotes of $100, that's good. I hired a private van as we had three bags each for two of us, and I decided if I was going to pay $$$ I wasn't going in a taxi. It ended up costing me $98 from Manhattan to Cape Liberty and $109 from Cape Liberty to JFK, tolls and tip were included. Other travelers have mentioned Carmel Limo Service as being a good deal too. So for future reference for any travelers reading this thread, be aware that you should book your airfare to Newark. Celebrity even did Newark hotel (1 nt) and transfer for $159 per person. Good luck and have a great cruise!:D

Archived