women's bcd advice

deec

This is BS as warranties are supplied by manufacturers and not the dive shop. There are also alot of reputable dive shops doing business on E-bay. Also I had a friend say somthing that made alot of sense. He said, "If you dive equipment fails, I hope your still around to collect on the warranty.":cool:

You are right, yet wrong. Several manufacturers, if not all, will not provide warranty service for items purchased from 3rd party or grey market dealers like leisure pro. Check with the manufacturers website to see specifics on warranty info, but Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized sell, they say it on their own website, and their products do NOT come with the original warranty, but rather a warranty from Leisure Pro. Customer service with them varries from great to horrible, do your reseach and you'll see what others have to say.

As far as your friend's thought... I've had small issues with equipment which wasn't serious, but still needed to be corrected by the manufacturer- I'm glad I had a warranty from the company itself.

And part of the reason local shops have higher costs is b/c they have product on display for people to try on and examine. Some of the increased price is worth it in my opinion, as I won't have to send my gear across the country for service, and I develop a relationship. I do purchase small items online, or if their is a close out item online I can get dirt cheap. And check with your local shop, they will usually get close or match online prices if they are a good shop. I wouldn't expect Leisure Pro prices, but compare prices with authorized sellers like Scuba.com or Scubatoys.com

booth

I purchased my custom DUI Dry suit through my dive shop, and my air, and nitrox, and my classes, and my spear equipment, and my VIP's and HYDRO'S, (I own 8 120HPS's 4-100HPS's 4-80's 2- 40 ponys) and I let them service all of my equipment (reg's, 1st stage, and computers) every 100 dives (twice a year, usually). I feel I give them plenty of business each year to allow myself to save some money on the expensive stuff by purchasing on ebay or Leisure pro. They are not divers just good business people. So don't expect good tech support. I bought a Sherrwood tech bcd from them that had a buckle break on it. It also had a safety recall with the air inflation valve. In both cases I had to send it back to Sherrwood not Leisure pro. They (Sherwood) honored all factory warranties. Also had an OMS wreck reel break purchased through Leisure pro. Also factory warranty was honored through OMS. Had a SUUNTO CPU fail under warranty. Also honored. Had a Ikelite flashlight break (switch), also warrantied. Never had Dive Rite or Halcyon break that's why I use them. Every new product I've ever bought from leisure pro has always come with the original factory warranty cards. I fill them out and have never had a manufacturer send one back saying sorry Charlie. It has always read "Thank you for your Purchase". Besides if your worried about "authorized dealers", make sure who ever you purchsae from is "authorized". The only way to do this is to contact the manufacturer and ask them. Listen, the money I save every year doing this gets me another 10 trips out in my boat every year. Or even pay for a cruise????? That's all that matters to me........gettin wet. All I attemptd to do is give someone good advice for finding a BCD that fit, and maybe get a great price on one also. Knew someone would retort my advice. Oh well, I'll just go walk out back of my house, get in my boat and go diving, I guess.:cool: P.S. I've been doing my research for around 15 years now.

thank you all for your input

I ordered a seaquest's Diva from the local dive shop...

can't wait to dive with it on our western carib cruise over New Year's...will try and get in a pool before if possible!

My local dive shop meets or beats leisure-pro most of the time. These are the guys who give me great advice everytime I show up and end up there for an hour picking up info from whoever else comes in. Granted, I am new to New York/ New England Atlantic diving, but I got out more weekends than most people. this summer This dive shop caters to tech divers so I get more out of it than the few extra dollars I may pay here and there.

For example,I wanted to order jetfins for their shorter size and neg boyancy characteristics. My split fins are a nightmare for local wreck diving. Store didnt sell me a new pair -they gave me an old pair they had sitting in the back. Sort of like worn in jeans- they look like I have been diving forever and I just got new spring heels for them. Went up to Cape Anne for the weekend and lent me a goodie bag. It goes on and on. I think I still owe them for a few tanks I needed the last time I went out They know that this will all get taken care of eventually.

On the BCD info, Booth gave me great info. This winter I am going to the bp/w, proabaly OMS just becuase the people I know have them and can help me with any details.

So should I try this rig out on my spring cruise or bring along my Diva ? The Diva is more than enough for a cruise ship one day on a port situation, but it may be nice to play around in easy conditions.

Advice ?

So should I try this rig out on my spring cruise or bring along my Diva ? The Diva is more than enough for a cruise ship one day on a port situation, but it may be nice to play around in easy conditions.

Advice ?

It would really depend on which is easier to pack and which takes less room. I don't know that trying out the BP/wing in warm water is going to help you all that much for local diving being as cold water diving is much different than warm water diving.

Good points... It may be better to just go to the quarry in the springtime and play around. Or do some shore diving here in the winter.

I have never brought my gear with me before on a cruise, but I believe I will this time around.

Its thought provoking to think about the best options. My real interest is local diving, mainly because I would only be on diving vacations once or twice a year, at most.

Archived