Los Angeles beaches and hotels

sarahuk

Hi

After returning from Alaska next September we plan to stay in LA for 6 nights to see the usual LA sights, Disney and Universal. We would like to stay by the beach. Can anyone suggest a reasonable beach side hotel in a relatively safe area. We will not be driving so need to be able to walk to places in the evenings after we come back from our tours. I was thinking Marina del Rey or Santa Monica areas but know nothing about them as we come from the UK.We like a bit of life but not noisy nightclubs, just somewhere to chill out , eat and watch the world go by. I would be grateful for any help /ideas.

Thanks Sarah

I don't know how you are planning on getting around, so that may influence which area you choose. Both Santa Monica and Marina del Rey are nice, although I personally can't recommend any hotels in those areas, because I haven't been there in awhile.

I really like the beaches in the South Bay - Manhattan, Hermosa, and REdondo Beach. Redondo definately has several hotels right on the water, very convenient to walk to dinner or walk on the bike path, rent bikes, sailboats, etc. Any of these 3 beaches are much more laid back than the other two areas. The downside is that you will probably want to visit Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc., and they are quite a distance.

I love the Sea Sprite in Hermosa Beach....on the strand and usually around $100-$150 per night depending when....they have various prices...easy to walk to Hermosa's area of restaurants which are all great....

Santa Monica always seemed more expensive than this one. I find driving in LA pretty easy but ONLY with my gps telling me when and where to get off!!

Wouldn't drive out there without it.

Hi

After returning from Alaska next September we plan to stay in LA for 6 nights to see the usual LA sights, Disney and Universal. We would like to stay by the beach. Can anyone suggest a reasonable beach side hotel in a relatively safe area. We will not be driving so need to be able to walk to places in the evenings after we come back from our tours. I was thinking Marina del Rey or Santa Monica areas but know nothing about them as we come from the UK.We like a bit of life but not noisy nightclubs, just somewhere to chill out , eat and watch the world go by. I would be grateful for any help /ideas.

Thanks Sarah

Definitely stay in Santa Monica...

The big question is "reasonable"...That's a relative term..."Reasonable" in Santa Monica or the West Side is different than "reasonable" in some other places...

But, to give you an idea...

Santa Monica has several hotels in various ranges...but not all of them are near the beach...in fact, very few are right on the beach...

Here's what to take a look at:

Luxury:

1) Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. this one is VERY nice...and right on the beach...but it's also $300 to $600 per night

http://www.loewshotels.com/hotels/losangeles/default.asp

2) Shutters on the Beach. Another very expensive one, but right on the beach as well.

http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/home.html

3) Viceroy Hotel. Another expensive one.

http://www.viceroysantamonica.com/

4) Le Merigot. Yet another in that $3-600 price range.

http://www.lemerigothotel.com/

5) Fairmont Miramar. The old Grande Dame of Santa Monica. Not right on the beach, but very near the Third Street Promenade and Palisades Park (on the cliff over the beach)

http://www.fairmont.com/santamonica/

Lesser priced hotels (In Santa Monica, this still means $100-300):

6) Shangri-La Hotel. Very convenient near Promenade, pier, etc. Older hotel. maybe $200-300

http://shangrila-hotel.org/shangrila/index.htm

7) Holiday Inn-Santa Monica Beach. Actually a short walk to the Beach, near Third Street Promenade

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/smoca?_requestid=1420891

8) Best Western Ocean View Hotel. Top location on Ocean Ave. near Promenade, Pier. May be best bet for combiation of low price/location.

http://www.gatewayhotel.com/

There are many others, but that should be a start. You WANT to be within a couple of blocks of the Third Street Promenade (walking area with nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc.)...It is a great place to just hang out at night (or daytime)...Palisades Park (on the cliffs along Ocean Avenue north of the pier, across from the Fairmont, Shangri-La, etc. is also nice to just relax)

Look for addresses primarily on Ocean Avenue (which means either the beach or the cliff above the beach)...

Santa Monica has a large population of expatriate Brits...a lot of pubs, fish and chips houses, etc. The hotel concierge can undoubtedly find you tours...but, if on a budget, there is also good public transportation via the Blue Santa Monica buses to Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc. Complicated but the hotel desk should be of help...

Good luck...

Hey there!

So, (as usual BruinSteve has provided some great info)...

But, in order for me to "weigh" in and give you my recommendations and details, I need more ideas and specifics from you...

#1 If you are just planning on looking at the beautiful views, and walking along any various beach areas, and boardwalks then great...

If you want to stay at the beach, in order to swim or surf, in September especially, (unless we have unusually warm weather next year), then you'll need a wetsuit...

#2 Regardless, from what you are saying, then you really will have the best time in either Santa Monica, Venice or Marina Del Rey...

I can recommend a lot of different budget hotels for the locations, but need to know...

#3 What is your budget in general for the time, and what do you really plan to do for day or night activities...

And also, (as this makes a difference in LA, as well as London for example), what kind of people are you, and what are you looking for?

Expensive, Funky, Artistic, Foodies, Architecture?

I do definitely think, based on what you have said so far, that you could work in Santa Monica, Venice, or Marina Del Rey...

OR, depending on more details and specifics, you could have a ton of fun and enjoy yourselves in a few really cool hotels (for great and safe walking distance nightlife) in Hollywood either near Fairfax and Beverly, or on Sunset Blvd. near Sunset Plaza (Hollywood and Highland) area.

It all depends on your specifics, and what you want to do, and if you want easy public transportation, or beach, there are SO many variables...

It all depends on your specific details and what you want to do and see...

Please get back and give more details on your thoughts and ideas...

CJW

Hi all,

Thanks for your help and advice.

Steve thanks for the list of hotels.The Le Merigot and the Fairmont both look fantastic and just what we are looking for but dont know if we can afford it.

Curt,

Here is a rough idea of what we have planned.Our budget for the hotel is only about $250 a night so I dont suppose we will be able to afford the

Le Meigot which is a shame because I liked the rooms and the pool area to chill out in the evenings.

Fri- Leave ship go to hotel in Santa Monica. Spend PM looking round 3rd St promenade

SAT 28th Sept. 5hr Bus tour of LA taking in Hollywood/ Beverly Hills etc

SUN Hire bikes and cycle along the beach path to Venice beach/ Marina Del Rey. Have a coffee in Venice at a boardwalk cafe and people watch

MON Bus tour to Disney for the day

TUES Bus tour to Universal for day and evening

WED Chillout by pool/ shopping

THURS airport and fly home.

We thought Santa Monica seemed ideal for us as we could walk to the shops and eat out in the evening quite cheaply. We wont want fancy big dinners after 2 weeks cruising on the Radiance, We will probably be too tired for too much nightlife. Prob prefer a walk about Santa Monica (if its safe in the evenings?)

and a drink or two in the hotel garden by the pool.

A smart comfortable room and bed is important to us

We thought Disney/Universal would be quieter on a weekday.

We dont want to hire a car as im a nervous passenger ( worse after a recent car crash) and I was terrified with the traffic when we went to Orlando a few years ago.

Im hoping it will be warm and sunny- is this likely at the end of September?

So Curt what do you think? Is all this possible? or am I hoping for too much.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah

PS By the way saying we are too tired for nightlife makes us look old! Im 50 and my husband is 40 and weve just got married.

We will be staying 2 days pre-cruise in LA, December, 2006 leaving from San Pedro and need a hotel that is convenient and inexspensive. We would also like to be able do some sightseeing and all the tourist stuff. Is Santa Monica the place to be? Can we book a hotel with shuttle service to the pier in Santa Monica? We will probably not rent a car. It would be great to be in walking distance to shopping, restaurants and some night life also after we do the tourist stuff. Any hotel suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fri- Leave ship go to hotel in Santa Monica. Spend PM looking round 3rd St promenade

SAT 28th Sept. 5hr Bus tour of LA taking in Hollywood/ Beverly Hills etc

SUN Hire bikes and cycle along the beach path to Venice beach/ Marina Del Rey. Have a coffee in Venice at a boardwalk cafe and people watch

MON Bus tour to Disney for the day

TUES Bus tour to Universal for day and evening

WED Chillout by pool/ shopping

THURS airport and fly home.

We thought Santa Monica seemed ideal for us as we could walk to the shops and eat out in the evening quite cheaply. We wont want fancy big dinners after 2 weeks cruising on the Radiance, We will probably be too tired for too much nightlife. Prob prefer a walk about Santa Monica (if its safe in the evenings?)

and a drink or two in the hotel garden by the pool.

A smart comfortable room and bed is important to us

We thought Disney/Universal would be quieter on a weekday.

...Im hoping it will be warm and sunny- is this likely at the end of September?

So Curt what do you think? Is all this possible? or am I hoping for too much.

Sarah,

First off, your schedule sounds great to me...

Disney and Universal will be a little less crowded on weekdays, especially late September when school is back in session...of course, lately, it seems it's always at least a bit crowded at Disneyland...

Weather in SoCal in late September is usually excellent...very little chance of rain and warm, but not hot temperatures, low humidity...

Today, for example, the high in Santa Monica was 72, LAX 77, Anaheim in the mid-80s, Burbank 87 the harbor area 81 (temperatures all Fahrenheit)...Sunny everywhere though some morning fog by the beach...

The bike path along Santa Monica Beach, down through Venice and around Marina del Rey is really pleasant...and an easy ride--all flat...I used to do it often...

Santa Monica is actually very safe--although there are a few scary people running around and there have been some incidents of crime--but that's typical of almost any urban area anywhere...The key, wherever you go is to always be cautious, aware of your surroundings and careful with purses, wallets, etc. But, overall, most of Santa Monica is a very nice, somewhat upscale community...

If you get a hotel in the area I suggested (basically Ocean to 3rd, between Pico and California, you will be easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc...especially between Colorado and Wilshire along Ocean...So, you may want to look into theose lower priced ones I suggested...but, with a $250 a night budget, you may want to go ahead and contact the LeMerigot or the Fairmont Miramar...Often hotels run specials or have some sort of rate that may surprise you...Either searching on the net or asking them over the 800 number (if by phone continually askl if that's their lowest rate, if they have any specials. any discounts for whatever you might qualify for--seniors, Auto Club, etc.).

There are plenty of restaurants in Santa Monica within easy walking distance in every price range...When we have family in from Australia, we always seem to end up at Buca di Beppo on 2nd Street...it's a small chain that does reasonably priced family-style Italian--for some reason, my cousins from Melbourne love it)...but, there';s also everything along Third Street from outdoor cafes to the "food court" at the Santa Monica Place Mall...

[As you possibly note, I grew up in this part of town--as did my compadre Curt--and I'm somewhat partial...Alas, my favorite haunts of my younger days are long gone--The Mucky Duck-best authentic English Fish and Chips, Zucky's Deli and the Fox Inn--the rowdiest little pub anywhere, the proprietor of which was the late Bill "The Fox" Foster, who later became somewhat of a TV star on the "Man Show"...Curt, Do you remember those places? Anyway, there are lots of new places to eat and drink]...

We will be staying 2 days pre-cruise in LA, December, 2006 leaving from San Pedro and need a hotel that is convenient and inexspensive. We would also like to be able do some sightseeing and all the tourist stuff. Is Santa Monica the place to be? Can we book a hotel with shuttle service to the pier in Santa Monica? We will probably not rent a car. It would be great to be in walking distance to shopping, restaurants and some night life also after we do the tourist stuff. Any hotel suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean a shuttle tfrom the hotel in Santa Monica to the pier in San Pedro?

The answer: No...You will have to arrange for paid shuttles from Airport to Santa Monica and from Santa Monica to the pier...

Santa Monica is about 10 miles north of LAX, the Pier is 20 miles south...

But, yes, Santa Monica is my recommendation of where to stay if you're here for a couple of days or more...it puts you closer to the typical West Side tourist attractions (Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, Getty Center, Getty Villa, Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier)...and not too far from the Hollywood area (Grauman's Chinese, Walk of Fame, Universal Studios and City Walk, NBC Studios Burbank, CBS Studios/The Grove/Farmer's Market on Fairfax)...although, if that's a bigger part of what you want to do, I'd recommend staying in Universal City...

Santa Monica has great night life and restaurants...a very active walking street in the Third Street Promenade...and the best weather in the area...

Of course, there are lots of other places to stay...and any shorter than those two nights and it makes sense to stay in Pedro or Long Beach...Or if one specifically wants only to visit Disney--that's in the other direction--southeast of the harbor...

Sarah,

First off, your schedule sounds great to me...

Disney and Universal will be a little less crowded on weekdays, especially late September when school is back in session...of course, lately, it seems it's always at least a bit crowded at Disneyland...

Weather in SoCal in late September is usually excellent...very little chance of rain and warm, but not hot temperatures, low humidity...

Today, for example, the high in Santa Monica was 72, LAX 77, Anaheim in the mid-80s, Burbank 87 the harbor area 81 (temperatures all Fahrenheit)...Sunny everywhere though some morning fog by the beach...

The bike path along Santa Monica Beach, down through Venice and around Marina del Rey is really pleasant...and an easy ride--all flat...I used to do it often...

Santa Monica is actually very safe--although there are a few scary people running around and there have been some incidents of crime--but that's typical of almost any urban area anywhere...The key, wherever you go is to always be cautious, aware of your surroundings and careful with purses, wallets, etc. But, overall, most of Santa Monica is a very nice, somewhat upscale community...

If you get a hotel in the area I suggested (basically Ocean to 3rd, between Pico and California, you will be easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc...especially between Colorado and Wilshire along Ocean...So, you may want to look into theose lower priced ones I suggested...but, with a $250 a night budget, you may want to go ahead and contact the LeMerigot or the Fairmont Miramar...Often hotels run specials or have some sort of rate that may surprise you...Either searching on the net or asking them over the 800 number (if by phone continually askl if that's their lowest rate, if they have any specials. any discounts for whatever you might qualify for--seniors, Auto Club, etc.).

There are plenty of restaurants in Santa Monica within easy walking distance in every price range...When we have family in from Australia, we always seem to end up at Buca di Beppo on 2nd Street...it's a small chain that does reasonably priced family-style Italian--for some reason, my cousins from Melbourne love it)...but, there';s also everything along Third Street from outdoor cafes to the "food court" at the Santa Monica Place Mall...

[As you possibly note, I grew up in this part of town--as did my compadre Curt--and I'm somewhat partial...Alas, my favorite haunts of my younger days are long gone--The Mucky Duck-best authentic English Fish and Chips, Zucky's Deli and the Fox Inn--the rowdiest little pub anywhere, the proprietor of which was the late Bill "The Fox" Foster, who later became somewhat of a TV star on the "Man Show"...Curt, Do you remember those places? Anyway, there are lots of new places to eat and drink]...

Thanks Steve,

Are we more likely to get a good price at these hotels by booking really early?

So, just working with, and adding to my compadre BruinSteve...

No you won't necessarily "get a better deal" from booking a hotel in this area "early".

There are a lot of different options, and you have plenty of time...

It is really a matter of figuring out your timing, and what you want to do day and night...

Again, there are several hotels that could work in your budget for walking around, and close to activities that you want, for Santa Monica, Venice, or Marina Del Rey (all safe)....

Again, you have plenty of time, and we'll hook you up and figure this out, on what is best for you specifically...

The more details and ideas and specifics that you provide, the better that BruinSteve and CJW can provide with best ideals...

CJW

I just came across this thread and I am so happy to hear others talking about staying in Santa Monica instead of Long Beach. We are also leaving from San Pedro and wanting to stay in Santa Monica for 2 days prior to our cruise.

I am hoping that you can let me know if I am doing the right thing....

There are 5 of us flying in to Long Beach Airport where we have arranged to pick up a rental van for our drive to Santa Monica. We have booked a room at an older apartment-type motel, but clean and with a kitchenette (to feed the kids cheaper!) not to mention free parking!

We will be staying here for 2 nights and it will hold all 5 of us so we only had to book one room. We get in Friday morning and plan on just hanging around Santa Monica, go to the pier and the promenade etc. Saturday will be our "driving" day...kids want to see Laguna Beach..just go and have fun - no real plans. Sunday we drive to San Pedro, hubby drops us off then returns car approx 5 miles away, hops in cab and comes back to pier. The only transport we have to worry about is when we return from the cruise the following Sunday and need to get to Long Beach Airport.

I figure the cost of the car for the weekend (under $125)will be cheaper than the 5 of us getting a shuttle from airport to Santa Monica, then again from Santa Monica to cruise ship....whew. That was confusing!

Anyhow...I know the place we booked isn't going to be the Hilton, but if you know it, please tell me it is Ok enough for 2 nights for a family of 5!

It is called "Cal Mar Hotel" and it is at California & 3rd Street.

Have seen mixed reviews...

I just came across this thread and I am so happy to hear others talking about staying in Santa Monica instead of Long Beach. We are also leaving from San Pedro and wanting to stay in Santa Monica for 2 days prior to our cruise.

I am hoping that you can let me know if I am doing the right thing....

There are 5 of us flying in to Long Beach Airport where we have arranged to pick up a rental van for our drive to Santa Monica. We have booked a room at an older apartment-type motel, but clean and with a kitchenette (to feed the kids cheaper!) not to mention free parking!

We will be staying here for 2 nights and it will hold all 5 of us so we only had to book one room. We get in Friday morning and plan on just hanging around Santa Monica, go to the pier and the promenade etc. Saturday will be our "driving" day...kids want to see Laguna Beach..just go and have fun - no real plans. Sunday we drive to San Pedro, hubby drops us off then returns car approx 5 miles away, hops in cab and comes back to pier. The only transport we have to worry about is when we return from the cruise the following Sunday and need to get to Long Beach Airport.

I figure the cost of the car for the weekend (under $125)will be cheaper than the 5 of us getting a shuttle from airport to Santa Monica, then again from Santa Monica to cruise ship....whew. That was confusing!

Anyhow...I know the place we booked isn't going to be the Hilton, but if you know it, please tell me it is Ok enough for 2 nights for a family of 5!

It is called "Cal Mar Hotel" and it is at California & 3rd Street.

Have seen mixed reviews...

Hey there!

I'm all about understanding some West Coast/BC Canadians, as I have several cousins there, and I help them arrange and book trips to LA at least once year (if not more)...

That being said, when are your dates to be here?!?!

You haven't said...

So, just going on all of that...

#1 In LA - renting a car is always the best option... (we do have public transport here, taxies, buses, trains, but LA is SO spread out, it is always better - at this moment in time - to rent a car)

#2 I don't know Cal Mar hotel specifically, but it is in a really good easy access walking area...

You have easy walking access to the Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park/Ocean Drive, Santa Monica Pier, etc. (check any of mine or Bruin Steve's threads/answers for detials on restautants and things to do in the area)... If you have time, and I happen to have a work meeting in the area coming up - then I'm more than happy to check it out in person...

#3 Now what I'm going to say (which isn't a bad thing) is that a lot of the boutique hotels in Santa Monica, Venice, Hollywood, etc. are all previous apartment buildings...

These areas were not originally built for hotels... So, this one sounds like this, but at the same token, I totally recommend some of the "previously apartment buildings - but now boutique hotels" for stays in Hollywood, and they are fantastic!

#4 Now the "kids" wanting to see Laguna Beach - I'm just guessing (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) - that they are either interested in the TV Shows "The OC" - or the MTV Reality series "Laguna Beach"...

If you let me know which one (or something else) that they are interested, then I can let you know specific details and addresses on where those shows film, so that they see the actual locations, or you can take them to the actual restaurants on those shows...

Just let me know, I'm here to help...

CJW

yep - they love "Laguna Beach"....We will be there in March. We sail March 18th, but will be there on the 16th for a couple nights... There will be myself, hubby and 3 girls, DD-18, DD-12 and a friend also 18. (Where is the closest store to buy tylenol??)

Thanks for the quick reply! As long as the hotel isn't "condemned" I think we can handle 2 nights in that location! Much better than having to reserve two rooms, and eat every meal in restaurants......well, I would prefer to actually do that, but my wallet doesn't agree with me.....

They would also like to do the "Hollywood" tourist things...Rodeo Drive, the famous sidewalk etc...what's it like to drive around Hollywood on a Saturday? Or shall we save the car for the coast drive and take the city bus to Hollywood? Just curious...first time there.

Thanks!

yep - they love "Laguna Beach"....We will be there in March. We sail March 18th, but will be there on the 16th for a couple nights... There will be myself, hubby and 3 girls, DD-18, DD-12 and a friend also 18. (Where is the closest store to buy tylenol??)

Thanks for the quick reply! As long as the hotel isn't "condemned" I think we can handle 2 nights in that location! Much better than having to reserve two rooms, and eat every meal in restaurants......well, I would prefer to actually do that, but my wallet doesn't agree with me.....

They would also like to do the "Hollywood" tourist things...Rodeo Drive, the famous sidewalk etc...what's it like to drive around Hollywood on a Saturday? Or shall we save the car for the coast drive and take the city bus to Hollywood? Just curious...first time there.

Thanks!

Still working on things, but here's a review of your hotel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423818

CJW

Archived