Taste of Paris excursion-what to do in 3.5 hours

goofynewfymom

HELP!

We decided to do the Taste of Paris excursion and will have 3.5 hours on our own in Paris. The book says the bus will drop us off in the "city center". Has anyone done this excursion and have recommendations of the best way to spend our free time? It will be on a Sunday July 18, which I recognize isn't the best way to see Paris...however, we would like to do some walking and cafe dining to get the best flavor of Paris that one can in 3.5 hours! Yes, it will be a push, but with your help I know we can give it a great try.

Thank you very much, Stephanie

Stephanie,

I did this tour last year. They drop you off at the Eiffel tower. We were able to enjoy a sidewalk cafe lunch and toured the D'Arcy (sp?) mueseum. We also walked around the Louvre grounds (didn't have enough time to tour there). Taxis were readily available.

Before dropping you off at the Eiffel tower, the bus will take you on a "mini tour" of Paris and gives you an overview.

you can do the eiffel tower and then skip lunch and the musee d'orsy and go right to the louvre ---you can see some of the important pieces of art(mona lisa -winged victory -venus de milo) that everyone knows about and then maybe have time for a bite to eat at a cafe -- a batteau ride is out of the question because of time restraints

you can do the eiffel tower and then skip lunch and the musee d'orsy and go right to the louvre ---you can see some of the important pieces of art(mona lisa -winged victory -venus de milo) that everyone knows about and then maybe have time for a bite to eat at a cafe -- a batteau ride is out of the question because of time restraints

Your post reminded me of this thread in our sister message boards:

Amusing Things I Have Learned from My European Travels

Quoting a portion of that thread:

"That the French would do us all a favor if they would put the Venus de Milo, Winged Victory of Samothrace, and Mona Lisa next to one another near the entrance to the Louvre. Then the Louvre could be done in less than 45 minutes and we wouldn't have to look at Napoleon. In fact, if the French wanted to make things easier, they could simply put the "3 things" in their own museum and people could cross the Louvre off the "obligatory tourist site" list."

I commend that entire thread to your reading. I couldn't stop laughing!

BTW, the Musee d'Orsay and is walkable from the Eiffel Tower (Tour d'Eiffel) and the Louvre. On the way from the Eiffel Tower to Musee D'Orsay you'll pass the Rodin Museum where his famous sculpture, "the Thinker," is outside in the courtyard.

To see any of that and/or the Place d'Concorde, the Tuilleries Gardens or the Arc d'Triomphe in 3-1/2 hours you'll need to plan your time and route very carefully.

A Map of Central Paris:

750x750_paris_city_m.gif

Note - the Musee Rodin is near the Assemblee Nationale and the Musee D'Orsay is on the river right where the letter A of LATIN Quarter shows

The Thinker (at Musee Rodin)

thinker.jpg

A View of Musee D'Orsay looking to the southwest from the Right Bank of the Seine (the Eiffel Tower is visible on the right off in the distance).

museedorsay.jpg

With our 25th annversary being celebrated, we tell folks were are touring Paris & right away we are to cross a river on a "walk of romance" but where????

I remember it in movies but not now that we are going & looking at the map you provided & I printed out. Not a clue......

I'm not sure about that walk but any walk along the Seine and across any of the bridges is very special esp. at night. I loved the gardens behind the Rodin museum with the sculptures! Notre Dame was another favorite.

Since this is a Sunday, check the tour books or your tour director which sites on your list will be closed for the day. Might save you some time and disappointment.

So many things to see and do in Paris, so little time. I've been there 4-5 times and still have more sites I wish to see.

Enjoy!!

With our 25th annversary being celebrated, we tell folks were are touring Paris & right away we are to cross a river on a "walk of romance" but where????

I remember it in movies but not now that we are going & looking at the map you provided & I printed out. Not a clue......

I know of no "walk of romance" in Paris. That said, any walk with a person you love that involves crossing the River Seine would qualify. The nicest bridges cross over the western tip of the Isle d' Cite (the island on which Notre Dame is located), known as the Pont Neuf bridge, the bridge crossing from the Louvre to the Musee d'Orsay, and the two bridges west of the Tuilleries.

I've been to Paris many times on business and often get just one day to tromp around. Check and see if the Rodin museum and garden is open on Sunday. If so, I agree with other folks to head there. Unlike other museums, you can still get very close to the works of art and the gardens are lovely. Lines are not a major problem and you can definitely see the whole deal in a short period of time. Works by Rodin's girlfriend Camille Claudel are also on display.

Unfortunately, the Eiffel tower is not really near any other major attractions and something of a hike from the metro. To save time, probably best to catch a cab.

Otherwise, just a leisurely stroll down the Champs Elysee might be fun. Sit in a cafe with a glass of wine and exude fabulousness. Then stop and get some gelato for the walk back to the ship. I'll check my notes and see if any of my favorite gelato shops are near the Musee de Rodin.

Since this is a Sunday, check the tour books or your tour director which sites on your list will be closed for the day. Might save you some time and disappointment.

So many things to see and do in Paris, so little time. I've been there 4-5 times and still have more sites I wish to see.

Enjoy!!

The principal museums are all open on Sunday and many offer free admission, just on Sunday...so they can be crowded with Parisiens. They are closed either on Monday or Tuesday.

Most of the major stores (Bon Marche on the Left Bank, Galeries Lafayette, Fauchon, Givenchy, Printemps, etc) are closed all day on Sunday and the Metro has a slightly reduced schedule, but most everything else is open.

WOW!!!!!!!

Such great ideas and responses...I knew I could count on you all to help me out...I have depended on these boards since we began cruising 7 years ago and have never been let down. I would be lost without you all. THANK YOU! Stephanie

Archived