Dress code on PG? Country club casual?

WeRockChalkKU

I've never sailed on Regent before and I know that on all the other lines I've been on, there is a big variety in the dress for the evening meal. What exactly will I see for the dress code for evening meals on Paul Gauguin? I thought I read somewhere that some women wear capri pants? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Capris are common on the ship, but not for dinner. I could imagine seeing a woman wearing capris for dinner, but long summer skirts, summer dresses, and nice pants with a pretty top are certainly the norm. Elegant casual is the ticket, think a fancy summer garden party. For men, khaki pants and nice short-sleeved shirts, or a nice long-sleeved silk shirt. No jeans or shorts at dinner.

I have to respectfully disagree with my friend Wendy. Hi Wendy! There are evening dress capris ensembles that one could purchase and wear quite comfortably at dinner on the PG. I think the distinction would be between sports/leisure capris that would not be suitable for the dining room and between dress capris ....more of like a dress pant suit(which is fine for dinner too) except the legs on the capri pants are cut shorter.

Pat

I replied earlier but don't see my message - sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate.

We just got back from the 9/9-16 sailing. You have a fabulous time ahead of you! Thanks to the great information on this and other sites, I was very prepared - except for the dress for dinner on the PG.

Not only are shorts and jeans not OK for dinner, they are not allowed anywhere on the ship after 6PM.

For dinner, I brought pretty and summery, but not very dressy separates to wear at dinner, and my DH brought Dockers and Polos & decent-but-not-dressy shirts. What we found was that although few men wore ties or even jackets (though they were there every night), most shirts were nice Polynesian patterns, silk, or other nicer type. Most women wore dresses or outfits (as opposed to my separates), often with sparkle, not just sundresses as I thought but "real" dresses, some really designer-looking. Most women had hair done and full makeup, and heels were common. I'd brought only flats, which really was nice for packing light and walking comfortably all the time, but left me feeling a bit underdone at dinner.

That said, you would always feel completely welcome no matter what. I saw a woman in jeans and they were greeted as warmly and respectfully as anyone else.

Keep in mind when packing, there is no iron in your room, although you can have it done. I was glad for the advice to pack a sweater or wrap for dinner, as I did need it every night. It's hard to adjust to A/C after those hot days!

So you can dress up and not stick out, or dress more casually and still feel perfectly comfortable. Have fun!

Yes, you can wear capris--just not really "beachy" ones, and definitely no shorts or jeans. I wore dressy black ones with a silk top. I also wore long skirts. Almost none of the men on our cruise on the PG wore jackets--mostly nice pants and short sleeve shirts. I also wore dressy black flat sandals--because of a back problem I never wear heels--and did not feel out of place at all. You will have a wonderful time, it is a fabulous cruise!

I refuse to wear heels on any ship, the wave is hard enough to walk already. Now, plus the free wine during dinner:D. Sundress & dressly sandles will be fine for dinner, just bring a shawl/wrap with you. The dinning room can get cold sometime.

Oh I agree Wendy .....glitzy Vegas type capris are not necessary.....just something that is not leisure/sports type would be fine and linens would be just great and nice and cool. As for heels on any ship.......to those that can do it more power to you.......dress flats are all I ever take. I'd be afraid of falling wearing heels during the odd time that the ship starts to rock. Also, as you get older your poor old feet just don't like high heels anymore.

Pat

Keep in mind, the Paul Gaugin is a small ship--only approx. 350 passengers. If you have never been on a small ship, be aware that you can feel much more motion than on a large ship. But, that's why the PG can sail to those wonderful places in the South Pacific!

Archived