What NOT to pack?

DisneyJen

There is such a wealthy of information that we newbies are gleaning from our more experienced SB cruisers.

So in that spirit ... I was wondering if we could start a list of things that new cruisers need NOT to pack.

In addition to Sunscreen, what else can we NOT pack:D

Actually, if you have a favorite sunscreen, take it. The one Seabourn provides (I believe it is Clarins) was too "greasy" for me. I think the enthusiasm of some of the posts may have mislead you--take whatever you normally need on a cruise. The boutiques on Seabourn's ships are pretty lame--lots of perfumes and colognes but little useful stuff, such as memory cards, blank CDs, toothpaste, cold medicine, etc (and even the stuff that they have is "hidden" behind a cabinet door).

OR pack especially for Seabourn :)

I saw some pictures of the Bose sound system and checked them out on the Web. Unless the Seabourn units are non standard, there is an input jack on the back to plugg my iPod into the Bose unit. :) I can see me now listening to an audiobook over the Bose units and watching the water outside my window....

So I am going to pack an mini-jack to mini-jack connector. What I will not have to pack is the small set of speakers I normally connect my iPod to.

The sunscreen is L'Oreal SPF 25, I like it and use it but I also take a special sunscreen for my face and extra SPF 50 just in case! If you burn easily I would take the sunscreen you have found works for you, otherwise the sunscreen provided is fine.

Kathryn

There is such a wealthy of information that we newbies are gleaning from our more experienced SB cruisers.

So in that spirit ... I was wondering if we could start a list of things that new cruisers need NOT to pack.

I took two pairs of jeans on my SB Caribbean cruise and they never got taken out of the drawer. I thought I might want to wear them in the Restaurant for breakfast or lunch but the staff did not mind if the guests wore Bermuda shorts. (This contradicts the "dress code" language in the brochure, but at each breakfast or lunch there were at least a dozen cruisers wearing Bermudas.) It was much too hot to wear jeans in port or on deck and they would not be appropriate in the evening.

johnny

Seabourn provides shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bubble bath, Q-tips, and cotton balls. On your first day aboard your stewardess will bring a tray with a selection of soaps. You can select one, two or all if you wish. If there is no sunscreen in your bathroom be sure to ask your stewardess for a bottle or two. You are also provided with a two robes and two pair of slippers. No need to pack an umbrella as one is waiting in your closet. A hairdryer is provided as well as a magnifying makeup mirror. No need to pack electrical converters. The bar is equipped with a bottle opener and a wine opener. There is also a canvas tote bag (found in your room) as well as water bottles and towels (for going to the beach or swimming excursions) are provided either as you debark or in the lounge while waiting for a tender. If you are going to do a load or two in the launderette detergent is provided; however, the it is pretty harsh (at least it is for me) so I do pack a couple of small detergent boxes. You can buy these at any laundromat. I found small Tide boxes at Vons. If you don't have time to get to a bank for foreign currency you can always get it at the Purser's desk. No need to pack a book for reading, there is a small library as well as a large selection of DVDs that you can watch in your suite. That's about all I can think of at the moment. HTH

Lisa :)

No books on CDs unless someone has donated them. Speaking of donations, do so with any heavy books you read on the cruise and don't want carry home. That's how the Seabourn library grows. Also, I believe a "take one, leave one" policy is in effect for paperbacks. Finally, I was told by an assistant CD that a few Adult videos are kept at the Purser's Desk. I didn't inquire because I thought he might be pulling my leg. Besides, who has time to watch.....

If you don't have time to get to a bank for foreign currency you can always get it at the Purser's desk.

Not necessarily. On our recent Copenhagen to London cruise, we were NOT able to get the following foreign currency from the ship's purser: Danish kronor, Norwegian kronor (a downside as we were in Norway for a week), and Scottish pounds. The only currency the purser would convert on the ship were euros and English pounds. Check with Seabourn first before assuming anything.

Oh - one other thing you don't need to take with you - your name. The ship's staff will remind you of it everytime you encounter one of them.

Seabourn's tote bags are a little smaller than HAL's bags.

Concerning laundry, bring dryer softner/anti-static sheets if you are so inclined.

Not necessarily. On our recent Copenhagen to London cruise, we were NOT able to get the following foreign currency from the ship's purser: Danish kronor, Norwegian kronor (a downside as we were in Norway for a week), and Scottish pounds. The only currency the purser would convert on the ship were euros and English pounds. Check with Seabourn first before assuming anything.

We were able to exchange dollars for euros on board but the purser seemed a bit put off to have to do it. From then on we just looked for exchange booths on land.

Not necessarily. On our recent Copenhagen to London cruise, we were NOT able to get the following foreign currency from the ship's purser: Danish kronor, Norwegian kronor (a downside as we were in Norway for a week), and Scottish pounds. The only currency the purser would convert on the ship were euros and English pounds. Check with Seabourn first before assuming anything. quote]

Local currency can be gotten at most every ATM without a problem and there is usually one very close to the ship. BTW, there is no difference between Scottish Pounds and English ones. They are interchangeable, as are Gibraltar pounds.

Archived