Ft Laud RESSIE TIPS...AND HOW TO AVOID HUGE MISTAKES

sharecruises

Bequia,

Thanks so much for your considerate attention to all of us! I am looking forward to my days in Ft Lauderdale as much as to our cruise -- well, not AS much -- but almost!! :)

Ft Lauderdale -- via water taxi and sun trolley -- will be a new and exciting port call for us on this trip -- just like the islands.

Your helpful sharing of Ft L info adds to our anticipation.

Thanks!

I was wondering what the weather is like in January for Fort Lauderdale, I know it's going to be a lot warmer than where we are flying in from, we will be leaving cold snowy weather.

Interested to know what the temps will be so I can have a ideal of what to wear the day we board the ship and if we need jackets.

Thanks for the great advice on this tread it has help me alot.

Christine

It gets pretty cold here in January, the average is between 65 and 70 degrees. Brrrrrr. :p

Bequia,

That sounds like heaven:cool: , we have to be at the airport in Salt Lake City at 5:00 am for a 7:00 am flight going via Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale temps here will be in the low teens:eek: and it could be snowing. So traveling to a city that has temps in 65 - 70 range sounds great and warm it's hard to know what to wear have to leave heavy coats in our vehicle don't want to lug them on the trip.

Christine

Been reading lots of great info, but would love your take on specific hotels -- these are offered at great rates by Princess:

Renaissance Ft. Lauderdale

Renaissance Plantation

Marriott North

The pricier one that we've been looking at is Ocean Sands. We'll stay 3 nights before our 10/31 cruise, so want something where we can spend time on the beach and in the city, nice but doesn't break the bank!

Thanks so much!

Redeye, See if you can get the Renaissance in Ft Lauderdale. Plenty of shops within easy walking distance for those last minute items and your not confined to eating in the hotels restaurant if you don't want to. Besides, it's only 5 minutes from the port. Nothing wrong with the other hotels you've listed, the Renaissance FLL one just happens to be real conveniant. ;)

This is a great thread :) We are staying at the Bahia Mar next April, and I'm also looking for a nice place to have dinner. Thanks for the link to the Sambaroom- this is exactly the type of place I'm looking for! How difficult or easy is it to get there from the Bahia Mar?

These are 2 places I love...and totally different from anything you will have on your cruise

If you like Irish food and fun, Guiness, celtic music...and friendly bar, go to Waxy O'Conner on 17th Causeway...walking distance to many of the hotels

Great place, fun, beautiful antiques, pictures and stuff from Ireland

another great one is Sally O'Brians at Beachplace...whole bar was imported from Ireland and put together by Irish craftsmen...they have a wonderful house band, Fire in the Kitchen, that is very high energy/fiddle music...think of the music at the party in the Titanic film. Very reasonable prices

Both have good food too if you like irish food..at least it is different from what you will have all week on the cruise (*lol..no escargot for sure for sure)

Waxy

http://www.waxies.com

Sally's

http://www.galleryatbeachplace.com

Hi sheri~

I was interested in your comments regarding Waxy O'conners. I saw their website and thought it might be a fun place for us to go the night before we cruise. We're a group of 20 "irish" and thought it might be a hoot. Is it somewhere we can bring kids for dinner (age 6, 12)? Since I'm sure we won't be staying out late, just looking for a couple of "good" pints, food and a meeting point. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Lynn

Bequia thank you so much for all of your help so far. We are booked one nite pre cruise at Amerisuites. Could you recommend a seafood restaraunt nearby. What is within walking distance to the hotel as far as liquor stores etc.?

Bequia thank you so much for all of your help so far. We are booked one nite pre cruise at Amerisuites. Could you recommend a seafood restaraunt nearby. What is within walking distance to the hotel as far as liquor stores etc.?

TheRudys...There's a brand new shopping center next door to Amerisuites called Harbor Shops. Included within is a huge Publix Supermarket and a Total Wine and More (liquor) store among another couple dozen shops and restaurants. They don't have a website for the shopping center but here's some pictures of it..http://www.tilt-up.org/awards/2006/harbor.html

I won't recommend any seafood restaurants. I'm accustomed to fine seafood from New England and have yet to find anything down here that comes close. With that being said, many on these boards enjoy the Bimini Boatyard and the 17th Street Fisheries, both walkable from your hotel (a bit of a walk but doable). There is a new restaurant by the Holiday Inn Express and Taras called Fish. I've yet to try it but the menu looks interesting. http://www.fish-fl.com/

Caribbeancrazy, ...glad I was able to help. Have a great time vacationing in our town.

Bequia: We are staying at the Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port hotel at 1800 S Federal Highway. Had trouble getting a hotel room that provided transportation to and from the airport and cruise terminal during this week because of all the hotels being booked for the SuperBowl.

Anyway, are you familiar with this area and is it safe? Also, is there anything close by that we can walk to for dinner or shopping? Thanks for your help.

breenw....I consider the area your in safe. As with any travel to an unfamiliar area always be aware of your surroundings. You have ample choices of restaurants within walking distance of your hotel. Scroll back to post #10 for a comprehensive list of restaurants available to you.

Hi there....cabs are expensive here, renting a car is a great option as there are many interesting areas, but if you are just in for one night that may not be an option>?

If you are in Hollywood/airport area there are other closer options.

One is the Rustic Inn which has been around here for years and years, very "old Florida" ...really nice...very near the airport

http://www.crabhouse.com/

Thank you for the info... sorry for the delay have been out of town. I think we are close to the airport. We are staying at the La Quinta on 26th. I was thinking about renting a car. We are flying in the day before we sail. So we really only have the afternoon/early evening. Don't know if it would be worth it especially getting the car and getting the car back in that short time. Plus the last time we were in Florida...we got lost driving from airport to the hotel:eek: Do any of the car rentals have a drop off at the Port Everglades? Thank you...I will check it out the crabhouse.

Starrluna

I&M's.....I hope it's mid to late Febuary when your coming because you'll be hard pressed to find a room any earlier.

You can see the ships from select rooms in these hotels:

Hyatt Pier 66 - BEST VIEWS

http://www.pier66.hyatt.com/

Renaissance... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Embassy Suites... http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/...ctyhocn=FLLSOES

Ft Lauderdale Grande

http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com

Fantastic Post - It is going to make my enjoyment of Fort Lauderdale that much better. At present have reservations at Courtyard by Mariott at 400 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, Florida - would appreciate any information on area - is it safe and if there are dining activities in the area. Based on your input I may try to change reservations as I am arriving in December.

Fantastic Post - It is going to make my enjoyment of Fort Lauderdale that much better. At present have reservations at Courtyard by Mariott at 400 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, Florida - would appreciate any information on area - is it safe and if there are dining activities in the area. Based on your input I may try to change reservations as I am arriving in December.

CTC...I like the location your staying at only because it's foot steps from Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. If your unfamiliar it's like the Home Depot of fishing, camping, outdoor equipment not to mention a fine selection of clothing. Within this store is a great restaurant, Islamorada Seafood Company. Yes it's safe. The fishing hall of fame is next door as well. There are train tracks nearby but so is the airport. I did not notice planes or trains passing when I was in the lobby. I wouldn't hesitate to spend a night in this hotel.

Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=94&storeID=16

Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant:

http://www.islamoradafishco.com/ritem.cfm?cat=63

IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame:

http://www.igfa.org/mgi.asp

Bequia:

Thank you so much for your input - you are one of the most helpful individual's on these board - always so willing to share information - I am sure you have enhanced many a vacationer's visit to your city - they need to give you some type of award from the city's tourist office. Thanks again

Bequia: We are staying at the Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port hotel at 1800 S Federal Highway. Had trouble getting a hotel room that provided transportation to and from the airport and cruise terminal during this week because of all the hotels being booked for the SuperBowl.

Anyway, are you familiar with this area and is it safe? Also, is there anything close by that we can walk to for dinner or shopping? Thanks for your help.

Breens,

I think we stayed there last year before the Puna Cruise. If it is the same place it is what I would call safe. There were alot of restaurants etc close by and it was a very short trip to the port (once you actually got the taxi ).

We are staying at the Sleep Inn in Dania in just a few weeks.

How are you guys? Getting ready for Alaska if I remember correctly, or maybe you just got back. The Puna Kahunas say Hi.

We will miss you guys in a few weeks.

Puna Puna!!!

Did I screw up? I had the AmeriSuites booked since April for our December cruise for $75. But heard some bad reviews.

Saw I could get the Bahia Mar Beach Resort for $99, plus would have to pay taxi fees. Thought the idea of the beach to walk on, since we are arriving early, would be nice. I realize I did not do enoug research, because I have found horrible reviews on Trip Advisory. Now I think I should not have cancelled AmeriSuites and saved the extra money. Also see there is nothing around this hotel to purchase soda for our cruise. What's your opinion?

Bequia:

Thank you so much for your input - you are one of the most helpful individual's on these board - always so willing to share information - I am sure you have enhanced many a vacationer's visit to your city - they need to give you some type of award from the city's tourist office. Thanks again

My pleasure, hope you have a wonderful cruise vacation. :)

Teri - yes, we just got back from Alaska and it was absolutely breathtaking to see the scenery. I've been reading all of your posts over on the CP thread and sounds like you guys have got a great group going. It's a shame Suzi isn't going to make it (unless she's going to pull a surprise "visit" on the ship that she didn't tell you about).

We'll be thinking about all of you when you are cruising. If you guys go again next October, let us know - we'll probably be able to join you then.

Have a great trip!

Marsha (breenw@insightbb.com)

Archived