Freedom-just returned-9/17 to 9/24

cruizinmimi

cruzinmimi, please share your thoughts about debarkation. I read the reviews after each cruise of the FOS and have found a wide range of opinions about the speed and efficiency of debarkation. I (we) plan to use the self debarkation method where we carry off our luggage.

A total breeze. Since we are Diamond members, we got beige tags and we're walking out of our cabin to go to the Dining Room (where Diamond/Diamond Plus members meet) for a quick juice and danish and they called our tags. So we just walked straight off the ship and I believe the time was around 7:10 a.m.

Since you're using the carry off you will be the first to be called off and I believe that was about 6:50 a.m. I know it was right before we were called off. We were at the airport by 7:45 or 7:50 where we ate breakfast and spent the entire day because we took a bump. We could not resist at $300pp (each seat).

I will always take the early departure when I can. I don't like standing in those long lines for customs and trying to find your luggage.

Enjoy your cruise and the Freedom.

Linda

Pam,

We did not drive the rent car ourselves. We went with another couple, who have done that before. So he was able to get navigate his way fairly well. We walked down to the Blue Iguana and the shuttle picked us up and took us to the airport to pick up the car rental. We then took off fromt he airport. Then the shuttle took us back into town to the ship. It went smooth. But if my DH & I had to do it on our own, I'm not sure that we would have done it. But Rum Point is so worth it....very pretty and peaceful.

Linda

Thanks, Linda :) I think we will cancel the rental and try a tour. We would like to just relax and not have to worry too much. I can't wait to see Rum Point!! You're confirmation of how beautiful it is just makes me more excited :D

Pam

Linda, we had the purple 1 tags and leaving the ship at 9:30ish was breeze as well. We just walked off the ship and right to customs. We were looking for our luggage about 5 minutes after we stepped off the ship. I was really surprised at how quickly debarkation was. Last year getting off the Explorer took forever.

Ken Rush will definitely be the cruise director for the next few months, I talked with him about it back in June, he and his staff are great they gave me all their emails addresses to help coordinate some group events we have planned while we are on the cruise. Now I love James Andrews, he happens to be my favorite CD, but Ken seemed very much like him and I really look forward to sailing with him finally.

That's too bad about the elevators being so slow. We have been on the Brilliance 2 times which has food stations in the Windjammer. It worked well on that ship. Every cruise we've been on we've had trouble finding a seat once in a while. Then we just ask to sit at a table with people that have room. Hope we can do the same on the Freedom.

Did anyone go to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman? I was on the Port's board & read that it was moved to Boatswain Beach. They said it costs $60 to get in the park. We don't want to pay that much to see the turtles. We've been there before, but we have friends that would like to go there.

Gail

The new turtle farm is across the street from the old one, and it is gorgeous. The volkswagon-sized turtles were freed during a hurricane though, and anyone who has seen those will be disappointed. The biggest they have there now are about 500lbs (if I remember correctly). But, they still let you hold the baby turtles and stuff, which is fun.

Don't remember the cost...we did a ship tour with Hell, Rum Cake Factory and Turtle farm, for $40 or so.

T

in their land based restaurants is $35.95 for the 7 oz filet & they charges extra for salads, potatoes, etc. So $20 on the ship is a bargain.

Linda

Thanks for the recommendations, not sure whether we'll go to Chops or Portofinos on the Weds as it's my birthday and there's been an addition to our invoice referring to 'special requests'. I vaguely remember the booking agent at RCI asking if there was any special celebrations during our cruise and I advised them it was by birthday, and various threads on this forum imply that I may get a 'slice of cake' delivered to the main dining room. I'll also be celebrating (or commiserating) yet another year and would like to share that with my table companions.

We've dined at Portofinos on Mariner & Navigator and tried Chops last year for the first time and totally agree with you that the steaks just melt in your mouth - mmmm, well worth that $20 and I can't wait.

Hope you don't get too much of the 'post cruise blues', there's always more to try!

Did anyone go to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman? I was on the Port's board & read that it was moved to Boatswain Beach. They said it costs $60 to get in the park. We don't want to pay that much to see the turtles. We've been there before, but we have friends that would like to go there.

Gail

While on GC, we did a tour with Nativeway that included the rum factory, the turtle farm (beautiful new facility),Hell, and Stingray City. All this for less than $70 pp and we had 16 people on the boat for the Stingrays. This is the way to go if you don't scuba and want to do the stingrays. I can look up the exact price or you just go to their website and check it out yourself. Go to the Grand Caymon port of call section for more discussion on this.

Bill:

I just wonder if AA will change the flight again. Origionally it was close to two o'clock then then they moved it up to 11:50 AM. No matter, the self-debarkation is the way to go. The reviews are all looking good for a great cruise. I sure appreciate everyone giving their honest opinioon. Puts me at ease.:)

The elevators weren't slow at all...I was actually surprised at how fast they were getting to floors. The only problem was getting on one. They would bypass you so I learned the best thing to do is just get on one and I'd get where I was going eventually.

LOL...Morna, you caught on fast didn't you:D :D

Linda

Did you try the Concierge lounge as well, ovbiously it is not as nice as it is interior, no windows.

Did they give you a key for it also, or only the Diamond lounge.

Oct 22 is our sail date and with 19th RRCL cruises under our belt we are ready to take advantage of all the perks.

PS, tks for your review

Linda

Did you try the Concierge lounge as well, ovbiously it is not as nice as it is interior, no windows.

Did they give you a key for it also, or only the Diamond lounge.

Oct 22 is our sail date and with 19th RRCL cruises under our belt we are ready to take advantage of all the perks.

PS, tks for your review

We are Diamond members and we did not have a suite. So we only had a key to the Diamond Lounge on Deck 14 not the Concierge Club on Deck 10. We loved going to the Diamond Lounge every night. The view was great and we had sunsets every night. Yes, the key was already in our room when we arrived on the 1st day.

Enjoy your cruise...Freedom is a beautiful ship.

Linda

Thanks for your great review and glad you had a great time!

I have a couple of questions:

Can you tell me what nights FORMAL nights are? Monday and ______? Thursdays or Fridays?

Also, did you or did you notice anyone carry any cans of soda onboard or bottled water? I haven't seen this mention on this ship before.

Thanks so much!

Deana

Hi Linda:

I posted on the Roll Call (9/17/06)for our cruise today. We just got home as we stayed on in Florida for a while after the cruise. We had some bad problems with our stateroom that were eventually resolved, but on the whole we thought the ship and the cruise was very enjoyable.

One thing really baffles me.....on Friday (9/22/06) just a while after leaving Labadee, Bob and I were sitting on the balcony. A small private jet (like a Lear Jet) buzzed by so close that it was almost even with our balcony and not more than 100 feet away from the side of the ship. We could hear it coming (you can imagine the sound) and then it zoomed past and followed along the entire side of the ship...then pulled directly in front and flew off. We saw a few other heads poke out from their balconies to watch the event.....but we can not find any reference to the "buzzing" nor was there any information about it available on the ship. I have searched the 'net but there is no mention of it. I can't imagine that there is no regulation about buzzing cruise ships or maintaining a safe zone around them....not to mention that this jet was flying very low. Did you see it? Did you hear anything about it? Seems to me that it would be at least "document" material for the captain, just as the fuel tanker collision was. I've never experienced such an event and this was our 25th cruise.

We also went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but I would not have been able to recognize you. Thanks for the review!

Margaret

Hi Linda:

I posted on the Roll Call (9/17/06)for our cruise today. We just got home as we stayed on in Florida for a while after the cruise. We had some bad problems with our stateroom that were eventually resolved, but on the whole we thought the ship and the cruise was very enjoyable.

One thing really baffles me.....on Friday (9/22/06) just a while after leaving Labadee, Bob and I were sitting on the balcony. A small private jet (like a Lear Jet) buzzed by so close that it was almost even with our balcony and not more than 100 feet away from the side of the ship. We could hear it coming (you can imagine the sound) and then it zoomed past and followed along the entire side of the ship...then pulled directly in front and flew off. We saw a few other heads poke out from their balconies to watch the event.....but we can not find any reference to the "buzzing" nor was there any information about it available on the ship. I have searched the 'net but there is no mention of it. I can't imagine that there is no regulation about buzzing cruise ships or maintaining a safe zone around them....not to mention that this jet was flying very low. Did you see it? Did you hear anything about it? Seems to me that it would be at least "document" material for the captain, just as the fuel tanker collision was. I've never experienced such an event and this was our 25th cruise.

We also went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, but I would not have been able to recognize you. Thanks for the review!

Margaret

Shhhhhhhh!!!! Your not supposed to mention the fuel tanker incident. OOPS!!!:eek:

Archived