Have you ever???

Kissara22

I very rarely tell anybody I'm going on a cruise, with the exception of one or two who need to know in case of an emergency.

My reasons are selfish, however. I prefer cruising alone. I need the time to myself, although I thoroughly enjoy my tablemates at dinner. If I mentioned a cruise, invariably someone else would want to join me. However, I do cruise with others from time to time, and enjoy those cruises as well.

They think I'm crazy becuase I am usually on-line trying to figure out which cruise is next the same night I get off a ship! The kids and my DH are fine with that, but the rest of my family thinks I'm nuts. I call it obsessed.

What's worse is what's happening now -- I get great information each day on CC that I want to share with my DH. But, if he knew I was on these boards each day, he wouldn't be thrilled (my office is in my house and CC is a bigger distraction that housework, which is easy to avoid). So, I have to save up tidbits for the weekend (or closer to our cruise). I've got all these threads bookmarked so I can update him all at once when our cruise gets closer!

I booked my next cruise LAST February ('06) for our 4/07 cruise. I have yet to tell my mom, because she'll give me the "can you really afford it?" lecture. We have 2 small kiddos, a mortgage, we both work hard and enjoy taking a cruise every other year. We may not have huge savings accounts nor a stock portfolio, but we choose to spend what extra money we DO have LIVING life. My mom doesn't get that. It's a pain. I plan on telling her a month or two before we go.:rolleyes:

Yep, I am known as the "cruise girl" and I am always being asked when is my next? People always make comments like, must be nice.....I explain to them that a cruise is one of the least expensive ways to travel. I know before I went on my first, I always thought they were for rich people. I have converted a few folks, but most still don't believe me! :rolleyes:

My family try to make me feel guilty like my brother and sister just like the other day when I said I can't get sick my cruise is next week, My brother says " again, it must be nice, How can you afford to go on a cruise twice a year" ....I don't feel guilty, I take my children and husband on one and myself on another :p and work hard to earn it and they are well deserve... and will be booking my next one or two as soon as I get back from this one..HEHE!!

Tina

Have you ever felt embarrassed telling family members or friends that you are going on another cruise??

I know that when I book one, ..I want to call everyone and tell them. But there are those you know you can't call, because you feel like you're bragging or that you're going to get that "How nice for you" sarcastic remark.

Has anyone else felt or experienced this?

I can completely relate to this. Not in a manner of feeling like I'm bragging, but aparently my friends and family have caught onto the fact that I'm addicted.

For instance, if I don't make it to my cell phone to answer it in time, most of my messages are something like "Hey Les, call me back when you can. Unless you're on another cruise" LOL.

As far as bragging goes. Nah, I think that cruising has become affordable enough so that really anyone can take them so I never feel like I'm bragging, and certainly don't feel like I'm doing anything that the average person can't do.

So far I have extended the invitation to everyone I know! We have had some amazing cruises with family and friends, and the nicest part is not having to be responsible to entertain them all!

I'm a bit worried about some of my family and friends. Some of them can be a bit negative from time to time.

That said, I plan to invite as many frineds and family as possible in 2008 when my partner and I have a committment ceremony onboard the ship for our 15th anniversary. We had considered Tahitian Princess, but I think with airfare along that would probably make a lot of people not be able to go, so probably somthing a bit closer to home (Still waiting for the Port o Albuquerque to open LOL)

I'll be honest... I do :o All of my friends and family are married, kids, etc... and I'm single, so I have more available time than most of them do... I really keep it pretty quiet when I book cruises, I guess I do feel bad... I don't take much vacation, my 2 cruises each year ARE my vacation for the most part... it's when I get to cruise with all of my CC friends :D Thankfully, my family cruises with us sometimes and they understand my addiction!!!

I've actually gotten to where I tell friends and family that I'm going to Houston to visit Meredith. It's usually understood what that means, but it saves me having to answer the 1000 questions that come up. Especially when I travel alone (which I do at least once a year). It's not like I'm being irresponsible, but I get tired of people asking what I plan to do with our daughter while I'm gone etc.. Like my partner's completely incapible of taking care of her. Heck, he is her biological father FTLOG!

a couple of people at work give me grief each time a book a cruise, but these are the same people who claim to never have time for a vacation (even though we all get the same amount of vacation time)...they just make excuses, so I figure they just don't know how to have fun!

Beverly

Either that or they can't budget and prioritize! It sounds selfish, but my partner and I have learned over the 3 1/2 years we've been parents that in order to keep sanity, parents especially need vacations away from the kids. I always tend to be spoiled so I do get extra trips here and there by myself :p ;)

I've actually gotten to where I tell friends and family that I'm going to Houston to visit Meredith. It's usually understood what that means, but it saves me having to answer the 1000 questions that come up. Especially when I travel alone (which I do at least once a year). It's not like I'm being irresponsible, but I get tired of people asking what I plan to do with our daughter while I'm gone etc.. Like my partner's completely incapible of taking care of her. Heck, he is her biological father FTLOG!

Well, you aren't cruising alone this time doll :D You are cruising with some wild and crazies :p And I have a feeling it won't be your last S&S cruise! LMAO!!

Babie, ..the Tahitian Princess is a gorgeous, intimate ship. If you're both people persons you'll have the time of your life. We made so many friends that I'm so grateful for. 10 days a float in paradise, ..you can't imagine a better vacation. I don't think they do ceremonies though on the ship, ...I didn't see a chapel. I guess you could always bring someone ordained. I know that on many of the islands you can have awesome ceremonies and what's nice about french polynesia is the openness and kindness of the people.

That being said, ..we used our airmiles to fly there, and booked almost a year in advance. Affordability is rough because the cost of living there is outrageous compared to our standards ....$25 USD for a burger and fries ....stuff like that. You could always have your ceremony at home with fam and friends then take the cruise for your honeymoon. :)

Our Tahiti trip was our dream come true, but we felt odd telling those who we knew could never afford it what we were doing. l'm blessed with great friends that know we love cruising and blessed with those who have the "must be nice" attitude.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

I know that our family went to the Florida Keys for 1 week in August. Our 2 bdrm/2 bth condo rents for 2500.00 for the week. That did not include maid service, entertainment, or food. And thats the cheep season!

Our whole family could sail for less than that for the week. My DH and I would prefer to cruise. Even if its only a short one. It is still cheeper than going to a hotel for a few nights.

I don't feel guility anymore. I'm cruisin' and they are not.

Trudy

I used to shout it from the rooftops, but now I keep it quiet when I have one booked, unless someone asks. I would rather keep it quiet than have to deal with the comments. I make sacrifices to cruise as often as I do. Some people just don't understand that.

YES!

i am young compared to most frequent cruisers (27) and i am an engineer but i am FAR from being rich. I never imagined spending my money on two vacations in one year let alone two cruises!

i went in February and i am going again just 9 months later in November!

I told my co-workers about my first one but when i put in for my time off for the second one i did not, and have not told anyone! i just said i wanted some time off. i'm too afraid to tell them and wonder what they'll think of me. because every other engineer i work with either went to a cottage on the lake (michigan) or stayed at home, or went camping. it feels gluttonous (sp) but i cruise cheap and have the money saved up (probably becasue i do not have kids)

I WISH i could tell everyone because my view is enjoy it while you're young! But i don't want people saying 'WOAH two cruises in a year wow Mr. Big bucks!'

I didn't get an easy start either. paid 100% my way thru engineering school at a 30k/yr school.

Last year we spent 1200.00/wk. on a condo in Maryland, had to provide all of my own food, cook, clean, vacuum and pay 20.00 for a parking permit for my car. That is not a vacation. I can buy a cruise and someone else cooks great meals, makes the bed, cleans the cabin-- and Maryland has no palm trees to sit under on an island. The sea water on the cruise is clearer too.

No shame in announcing your cruise.

Sounds like you were in Ocean City with me!

Archived