one person in group not showing up for cruise?!?

In our union contract it states that our company has the right to cancel our vacation time if there is a dire need and the apsence will hurt the day to day running of business. Now this has only happened once in the history of the company and since the people who had no real plans stepped up to the plate and opted to stay for work so people with travel plans could go. Now in the instance that this does happen our company will reimburse for your part of the vacation, either by giving you the percentage that you represent (i.e. a four person package is $1000, they will give you 25% $250) or what the charge for your name on an itinary (i.e. on our cruise receipt I am the first listed at $1500 or so, regardless of how cheap 2/3/4 passenger is they will give me $1500). Now my husband and I just had a heated debate and he was trying to tell me if for some obscure reason I could not show up they will not allow him, our son, and my mom to board. I said of course they will, they have been paid for me so they will not care if I show up or not. I know that the last cruise we were on there was a lady with her daughter and the daughter's friend was supposed to go but didn't because of some family emergency. I don't see the logic in my husbands thinking. Can someone put some light on this issue.

Thanks,

Jenn

Of course the rest of your family can cruise. The only time it can be a problem is if you want to add another person in your place. The cruise lines do not want to do that, for some reason, which is think has to do with security. But even if you cannot show up, the others can cruise with no problem.

We are going on costa, but I didn't have a chance to call them before they closed. My DH talked to the travel agent today because we are getting 2 rooms instead of one and he had mentioned this to her. He said she said (remember telephone game) that the U.S. government is close to passing a law to say that if one person doesn't show up for travel it is supicious, so they will keep everyone in the party from boarding. I asked him if he were dead serious and he said yes! Our travel agent has been with AAA for years and she would certainly know what she is talking about. On the other hand I wouldn't put it past DH to have misunderstood her. If she is right we need to find out what is going on. I will call her and Costa tomorrow morning and find out more.

Jenn

ok jenn,
i would call costa for sure to get this clarified. i know from experience that my travel agent has lead me astray a couple of times, that got me in such a state that i was fixing to call the cruise line and give them what for! just to find out that my TA was mistaken....not on purpose mind you....just did not check out my problem with the cruise line before she misspoke! what 1 cruise line does is not neccessarily what the other one does!

but i hope this is all for naught and you get to go on the cruise and we can all laugh about this when you get back....

have a great time, judy

I would also have to find out how true that is. Emergencies do happen- and to not let whole families board because someone cant?? That dont seem right. Will teh cruise lines reimburse the monies to the people who want to travel but are being told they cant?? Something dont sound right.

What about the boyfriend/girfriend who break up right before a cruise?? Someone cant go because the other broke a heart?? double dipping here huh.

[QUOTE] My DH talked to the travel agent today because we are getting 2 rooms instead of one and he had mentioned this to her. He said she said (remember telephone game) that the U.S. government is close to passing a law to say that if one person doesn't show up for travel it is supicious, so they will keep everyone in the party from boarding.[/QUOTE]
This just doesn't make sense. What happens if different members of the group are flying in from various locations, and one of them has a flight that is delayed, causing them to miss the boat? And, believe me ... this can happen ... and it happened to me last March.

I can't see how this sort of a rule could be enforced. It just doesn't make sense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived