Carnival-Smuggling Alcohol (Current Info. Only)

lls-con

**If you don't agree with or have informative information regarding this topic, please do not read further or waste your time responding!! Thanks :o

First off, I understand that this is highly popular, and debatable topic that has been posted over and over. However, I'm looking for experiences from recent Carnival cruisers, particularly given the new airline restrictions and the fact that you cannot currently put liquids over 3oz. (i.e. wine bottles, which Carnival does permit), in your carry-on luggage anymore. So, I'm assuming that since Carnival allows a "reasonable" amount of soda and wine, that it would not be a problem to pack those items in the suitcase, correct?

However, does Carnival go through your luggage at any point before boarding the ship, and do they look for hidden liquor?

I've read that some people just keep the alcohol in the original glass container and pack safely, while others go through the bother of putting into plastic water bottles, plastic spray bottles, and white mouthwash bottles. What is the safest way to make sure your liquor makes it to the ship?

Hi,

We bought the Tetra packs of French wine and put them in Ziplock bags. I also understand that the Wolf Blass Australian wine, that we really like, is now sold in unbreakable bottles. (will use these for our next trip.)

I will not bother smuggling alcohol in alternate containers, however, I don't bring a lot of disallowed drink either. We are happy with Wine and Champagne.

We bought half bottles of champagne, wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in Ziplocs. Great for Champagne and Orange Juice.

Packed 1/2 bottles (Plastic) of Bacardi and Vodka in Ziplocs. Smaller individual drink size bottles went inside shoes with a pair of socks keeping them secure.

I packed all alcohol in 1 carry on size suitcase with wheels, but first I used a large plastic bag (the size used to collect leaves in the fall) inside the suitcase and placed all the alcohol in the plastic bag inside the case. I didn't want to run the risk of my alcohol that had to be checked in with regular luggage, spoiling anyone else's lugage by leaking.

All alcohol passed through customs, went on the flight and boat etc. with no problems.:)

We have not had any problems with bringing on alcohol and I think it's great that they are o.k with wine and champagne. I think if you are in moderation you should have no problems.

If my "disallowed" liquor was taken away, that's no big deal.

On the Liberty we had a fridge but not on the Inspiration

Another tip that worked well for us was packing a soft sided wheelie type cooler flat in our suitcase. When we got to the cabin the steward filled it with ice for us and this became our fridge.

We just sailed last week. Had 2 18-packs of diet coke in checked bags. Each was 1/2 soda and 1/2 beer. No problem. Packed a few small plastic liquor bottles too. Bought a 200 ml bottle of run in St. Thomas and put it in my pocket.

However - I also bought a large bottle of bloody mary mix, which could have been taken as liquor on the X-ray, but the only comment they made was about the camera. They do look at the X-ray, but thankfully they are more interest in finding weapons than in finding alcohol.

Bottom line, put it in your pocket if small enough, or in checked bags. You will be fine.

Just off the Valor - and we successfully brought some wine and liquor on board in our checked luggage.

Being neurotic about breakage/leakage we found wine in a tetra pak and also brought a small bottle of gin (Gilbey's the only one in a PLASTIC bottle) - wrapped in bubble wrap, ziplocks and in centre of luggage surrounded by clothing. Found a corner store in Miami where we got a 6 pack of tonic cans and w/lemon from the ship we enjoyed some great G &Ts.

I found the cutest single serving bottles of california wine - plastic w/screw tops (http://www.beringer.com/beringer/catalog/index.jsp?cat_id=1060) - the reds were great while the white was just okay! We got wine glasses from room service and simply poured out a bottle and brought the glass with us to the dining room!

I guess it was x-rayed but obviously not a problem for us and others!

Good luck!

Froufie

We sailed Sept 10 on the Conquest.

I packed one box of wine in my checked luggage for the flight and transfer to the ship. Suitcase was not opened by anyone until I got it. (I use small colored zip ties on the zippers. Pack a fingernail clipper in an outside pocket to open them.)

Opened the box, put the wine in a cooler I packed, asked for ice, and all was well. Only one slight problem - the water glasses in the cabin were slightly larger than my wine glasses at home. Something about drinking at sea level really seemed to get to me after my standard two glasses.

Was on the Fantasy end of August.

Walked in with two bottles of wine as carry on

two bottles of vodka in checked luggage

two 12-packs of sierra mist as carry on

wine & vodka were puchased in Orlando, sierra mist in Cape Canaveral.

We flew in the day before and did not want to fly with the stuff!!

did not bother w/ the bubble wraps and zip locks, no problems at all.

Hey we were on the Conquest Carnival 8/27/06 - 9/3/06 we took on 6 bottles of wine (divided into 2 carry ons) not even one person stopped us or questioned us. Also brought on rum in other containers (water bottles etc) wrapped in ziplock and put in check suitcases btw the our cloths. Also one travel size bottle of apple pucker in original case inside ziplock bag same as the others all arrived to the cabin no problems. Also checked a small cardboard box with bottles of cokes and water 12 pack water and i think 6 pack coke and 6 pack dr pepper. Only reason these were even opened was the cardboard box was a Jack Daniels box lol other than that they arrived just fine as well!!!! :p

Just back from the Paradise and while I did pack some vodka in my checked luggage, I talked to alot of people who were not allowed to bring wine or champange or anything else on board when they tried to take it on board with them. I was surprised because I usually bring a bottle of champange with me, this time didn't. But alot of people were talking about the fact that the people at the scanners when checking in where even taking water bottles that they thought were suspicious, I believe its the crew that is checking in and whether they care or not. Carnival didn't seem to mind, I spent plenty at the bar as well as the drinks in my cabin.

Kathy

Glad to hear the basic policy/enforcement is still the same. The only people I ever saw have problems were the ones who had things in their carry-ons. I always pack my Yuengling (that's a brand of beer, wiseguys) in my suitcases and have never had a problem. And now with those oversized Ziplock bags big enough for a comforter, I can leave the trash bags behind!

Anyway, Carnival still does just fine, from the looks of my cashcard bills at the end...

I wasn't quite clear if you were saying that people had trouble with bringing wine/champagne on the airplane, or if you were saying that they actually go through your luggage at embarkation.

According to Carnival directly, you are allowed a "reaonable amount" of wine/champagne and soda. They do not define a "reasonable amount." Carnival actually advises you to bring those items on your carry-on luggage in the plane. However, the new airline rules prohibit any liquids more than 3oz. at the present time due to security. Therefore, you are forced to pack those items in your checked luggage. However, ever if they do go through your luggage before letting you on the ship, I wouldn’t image they would take wine/champagne because they are permitted.

I'm not clear with this! I thought that when you arrive for embarkation at the pier, that your luggage (which you already have tagged with the tickets Carnival sends you) is taken by someone and put directly on the ship and then is delivered to your room.

However, some postings have indicated that they go through your luggage at some point during the embarkation process. Is this true, and at what point do they do that?

Again, my understanding was that your luggage is already ticketed and goes straight from your cab to your room.

I was on the Conquest 9/10/06, we brought on Champagne and wine in our carryon. We also smuggled 1 bottle of pre-mixed margarita mix, 1 bottle of rasberry vodka and 1 bottle of cosmo pre mixed. No problems at all. Didn't change the container just packed in a plastic bag in the middle of the luggage!! I was a little worried, but it all came through unscathed!!

......However, some postings have indicated that they go through your luggage at some point during the embarkation process. Is this true, and at what point do they do that?.

Your checked luggage (given to the porters at the pier) are x-rayed before being put on the ship. IF they see something suspicious, they will open the luggage. They may or may not remove liquor if found...?...seems to be the luck of the draw.

What you are not clear on, I think, is the carry-on luggage. It is also x-rayed, and often opened in front of you to check contents. Any liquor or beer will definitely be confiscated (and returned to you at the end of the cruise). Never a problem with wine or champagne, nor soft drinks or water....all in 'reasonable' amounts. I believe the latest is TWO bottles of wine/champagne per person.

Just back from the Paradise ........I talked to alot of people who were not allowed to bring wine or champange or anything else on board when they tried to take it on board with them. I was surprised...

Kathy

That really surprises me as well.:eek: I've never heard anyone else say anything about not being able to bring wine/champagne/soft drinks/water on board in your checked luggage.

quote=lls-con.......... So, I'm assuming that since Carnival allows a "reasonable" amount of soda and wine, that it would not be a problem to pack those items in the suitcase, correct?

Last week on the Conquest, I took only one 6-pk of Cokes on board in my carry-on. I had two litre bottles of wine in my checked luggage (too heavy to carry). No problem with either, as yes they are allowed.

However, does Carnival go through your luggage at any point before boarding the ship, and do they look for hidden liquor?

Yes. This happened on this particular cruise. Tablesmates at dinner told us they had 2 bottles of vodka and 1 bottle of gin in their checked luggage. Unfortunately, they also had a tripod for their camera in there. Obviously, after the luggage was x-rayed, the tripod was mistaken for a weapon, and the luggage was opened.

When the couple's luggage was delivered to the cabin, there was a note inside that said their booze could be retrieved from the purser's desk the last day of the cruise.;)

• 2 years later...
So where in Orlando did you buy your liquor? I am staying at the airport marriot, and am wondering what the quickest and closest place to go is? Thanks

Going to Google and searching for your hotel, then searching nearby for liquor stores brought up a couple of places within a mile of your hotel along with Winn Dixie and Publix grocery stores (they sell beer and wine) under 3 miles away. Ask at the front desk when you check in, they may offer a shuttle to take you to any of these the night before your cruise.

Is it 1 or 2 bottles of wine per person? Thanks

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

After hearing so much talk about them on these boards...I ordered the Rum Runners flasks....I got a 32 oz and a 16 oz for 11.00 shipping and all. There is a whole thread devoted to them and how well they work...Mostly because on the X-ray/scanners they don't look like a bottle. That being said...In April on Conquest I had two one liter bottles of Gin wrapped up in my checked bag and it made it to the cabin with no problem. :) Below is the link to a thread about Rum Runners....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849312&highlight=runners

Is it 1 or 2 bottles of wine per person? Thanks

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

So where in Orlando did you buy your liquor? I am staying at the airport marriot, and am wondering what the quickest and closest place to go is? Thanks

Publix only sells wine and I believe Winndixie also. Walgreens has a liquor store attached to it. I think there might be a Walgreens off of Semoran (436) the road your hotel is off of. If not there might be an ABC Liquor store nearby.

Archived