More questions from a Tahiti newbee

WeRockChalkKU

Everyone was so helpful with my previous question so I'm asking again:

Pre and Post cruise I'm staying at the Radisson outside of Papette. How far is it out? Has anyone tried the roulottes for dinner and if so, what was your experience? Has anyone rode Le Truck to get around? I read that it serves a limited area and has limited hours and would like to learn more about it. Thanks again for any info. 100 days and counting...Tahiti her I come.

I've had the opportunity to eat from Roulottes several times and really enjoyed it. You have to like trying different foods. A friend of mine travels through Papeete on a regular basis and eats from the trucks often.

As for Le Truck, I only used it a couple times and it was a good way to get to and from the market. We also have rented a car, which is essential for exploring farther away from the city, but near the city the traffic can be bad.

I don't know anything about the Radisson.

The Radisson is in the eastern suburbs of Papeete, in the opposite direction from most of the other hotels. They do have a shuttle service twice a day, into the city, for some modest price. Not sure if it covers the dinner hour sufficiently to do the roulottes. If you need to take a cabin in one direction, it will cost about $20 or so. The food there has always looked good from the ship, but I admit I've never actually made it to eat there.

The hotel is nice, with a beautiful pool and a black sand beach, but a little isolated from the city. The food is very expensive, but that's normal for Tahiti. Buy yourself some bottled water and/or beer if you get a chance from a grocery store. An alternative for dinner is to take a cab partway in to the Royal Tahitien hotel. The dining room is outdoors, right by the beach. The food when I was there was very good, traditional Tahitian.

Hope this helps.

Archived