Anyone done the Mexican Cooking Excursion in Cozumel?

KAWS

I know this might be better suited to the excursion board, but I couldn't decide between there and here.

Has anyone gone on this excursion through Carnival? My family and I are booked for something else (ATV) but I'm thinking of letting dh and ds go on that and book me into this mexican cooking class. But the thing is 5 hours long and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before and what your thoughts on it were.

Thanks.

Kim

My 23 yr old son and I took that cooking class in May,2006. It was fun and delicious. Since no one else had signed up for it, we were the only class members (our ship was the Miracle.) We prepared a three course meal, which was then served to us with a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine...we didn't finish the wine. After lunch, we spent time on the beach. It was definitely a very good experience.

So i might get a private class!! Cool! What did you make?

Toz, do you remember how much that excursion cost? They don't say on the website - just $$ - and I have no idea what that means.

Kim

We just did this excursion a few weeks ago 2 of my friends didn't want to go, but they did and said after we got home that was a high light of the trip, it was so much fun we paid 79.00pp it included your food that you cook as well as a buffet, all the drinks you wanted which include tequila and beer as well as water and a lot of laughs and fun, you will enjoy it very much. there is a pool near by as well as a short walk to the ocean it was really hot but there was a good breeze blowing. Javier and Louis were our chefs that day, wonderful people persons. I highly recommend this excursion. :)

We made sopes: Tiny corn cakes(tortilla-like) filled with a chorizo-onion mixture, a local fish (I think it was grouper-but my memory may fail me) with a mango sauce, and a tower of Mexican butter cookies. The chefs will give you a copy of each recipe...but I can't locate mine at the moment (there goes the memory again). Everything was delicious. Diane

Thanks both of you for the info. It sounds fabulous! Hubby and son can have the ATV's; I'm going here! I don't care if I'm the only one in the class either.

One more question: Do you get to choose what you make? Only reason I ask is that Diane mentioned that they made grouper and I can't eat fish (allergic) so do you get a choice or do I just learn to make something and then take a pass on tasting that dish?

Kim

We didn't choose the menu, but, there may be an alternate selection in case of an allergy situation. Maybe you should post on the ship/date board to recruit another person to attend with you. However, you might cause TOO many people to sign up...then you'd lose the beauty and fun of doing this in a small group. Diane

One more question: Do you get to choose what you make? Only reason I ask is that Diane mentioned that they made grouper and I can't eat fish (allergic) so do you get a choice or do I just learn to make something and then take a pass on tasting that dish?

Kim

When I did it we had a few vegetarians and non-fish eaters in our group and most of them chose to just eat from the buffet instead. One person mentioned their allergy to something in the sauce, and the chef made them a completely different sauce.

I just signed up for it for the October 15 Conquest trip.

There is a thread on this excursion on the Cozumel destinations board, and it seems like several people said that they were able to substitute chicken for the fish when they cooked the entree. You might double check that thread. Otherwise, you can eat the other items and go to the buffet for something more substantial.

Allen

• 3 weeks later...
My son-in-law and I did this from the Navigator in August. It was a hoot! We had a really good time. The bar is open, try to pace yourself. Javier and Louis were wonderful, and a lot of fun. :D

please tell me which one utook..$$price..pik/at ship..was itoffered on tours or did u go independently....daaling456@juno.com..I'm going on b2b Nov/Holiday..tx..judi

Yes, Toz, we're on the Miracle. Hubby and son want to go on the ATV and that's fine with me. They would be bored silly on a cooking excursion but to me, it sounds just great!!

I'm just a little apprehensive about cancelling my ATV spot in case the cooking class isn't offered on our sailing. Then I'd be stuck on board or alone somewhere else while the guys were hooting around Cozumel. I'd rather ATV than just sit and do nothing.

Kim

I did the tour that RCL offered. It was $74/person. You get picked up at pier and taken to resort, and given transportation back. Includes cooking lessons, open bar, and buffet, as well as use of beach after......It was really worth it....:D

Archived