How to get to Fort Hamilton

tinker

I cannot find how to get to Fort Hamilton.

May visit when in Hamilton if not a good beach day and only read it is "east".

How far is it from where the ship's dock and which bus would go there?

You do not need to take a bus as it is a short walk from where the cruise ships dock, to the right maybe 500 feet or so. If you have a bus pass you just go down Front Street and get off about one or two stops. The fort is located past the centotaph (memorial to WWI dead) and the Sessions House (Parliment). When the cruise ship docks, go to the top deck and you will easily see the fort. It has a moat around it which has been turned into a botanical garden, it is a very nice tour. :)

Thanks again Writer!!

You have been a great help to me and all your information I read here on Bermuda is appreciated!

This is our second time to Bermuda and we want to see different beaches this trip (John Smith) and last trip we had to leave Hamilton at 10 a.m. to outrun a storm so really lost the day there didn't see any of it.

Nine more days until we sail!! Thanks again and keep up the good work.

I hate to disagree with Writeratsea but it is a lot further than 500 feet. That is slightly less than one city block and it is more like 6 or 7 blocks away and most of it is uphill. There is not a lot to do but there is a wonderfull of the island from there. In fact you can see across the island on the east and actually see the ocean.

I hate to disagree with Writeratsea but it is a lot further than 500 feet. That is slightly less than one city block and it is more like 6 or 7 blocks away and most of it is uphill. There is not a lot to do but there is a wonderfull of the island from there. In fact you can see across the island on the east and actually see the ocean.

It depends where your ship is docked. If you are docked at the number 1 passenger terminal next to the ferry stop that is a lot further away. When the Majesty moved from St George to Hamilton last year due to the high winds, were were berthed down near the other side, across from Parliament St. We went up the hill to the Sessions house kept going to Victoria Street, turned right to we hit King Street then diagonally across to Happy Valley Road. 500 feeet might be a city block in New York city but not in Hamilton or older cities like Boston. I rechecked my map and thought it was about 400 feet but looking at the map more closely, it is in meters which makes it more like 1200 feet. You are right. If you go my way it seems to cut out most of the hills, and is more gradual. You also see some interesting sights rather than going straight up King Street, which is a big hill. You are certainly right about the view. I thought it was the best view of the island, due to the central location. The Lighthouses at Gibbs and St. David's might be higher but the views from Fort Hamilton are great in all directions. You will be taking great photos from all areas of the fort. Don't miss the moat, it is a now a beautiful botanical garden. Thank you for the correction. I loved walking around Hamilton and perhaps I didn't realize how far I went. We walked all the way to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute and that is twice as far as to the fort. So I try to check my maps for accuracy's sake. But I did think it was worth the walk or just take the bus to the base of King Street and walk up to Happy Valley Road.:)

Yes, it is a pretty easy walk, albeit uphill. Be sure to explore the underground areas of the fort and walk the moat, which is now a botanical garden.

Here is a very detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Archived