difference between short and long cruises

My wife and I have always done cruises that are at least 6 nights but usually 10 or 11 nights.

We are currently discussing doing a 3 or 4 night cruise with our 7 year old daughter (this will be her first cruise).

Just wondering what we can expect on a shorter cruise other than no 'days at sea'. Do they still have the Kids club for the shorter cruises?

Also, How does RCI count the shorter cruise towards the C&A awards program.

thanks in advance

We did a three night cruise. This was followed by a 5 night stay in Key West and then a 7 night cruise. We had previously done 10/11 night cruises and got credit for one cruise towards our C & A. So we decided that we could play their game also! 7 + 3 = 10. We got ten nights and got credit for 3 cruises (one cruise was booked at a C category)

The 3 night cruise was actually rather nice. We did not do any shore excursions so we had plenty of time to hang at the pool, relax before the "start" of our vacation. The cost was very reasonable. We had one formal night. There were several businesses on board that were having conferences. I believe that the kids club was open but there were very few children on board.

We never even saw our room steward. It does go quickly but not as fast as you might expect. Our weekends here at home seemed to fly by faster than the cruise. I think because there is so much to do during the day and then the evening - it just seems longer than here at home. They did not do horse races and some of the other activites that stretch out for a few days but there was still plenty of options to consider.

We did the Bahamas and it was cold. We did notice that by not going south, the 3 day cruise was a bit on the chilly side. I would have preferred going to Key West and Cozumel for a short cruise - getting into warmer weather.

I would consider a short cruise again - especially combined with a land vacation in Florida.

The short RCI cruises will have plenty of kids but if you truly want to have your daughter enjoy herself you should book around the time that some schools are closed. We've done 5 short cruises on the Sovereign and would go again in a minute.

Yes, the time will go quickly but it's a great quick get away and a good way to introduce your child to cruising.

Thanks for the info.

Just looking at our usual florida vacation(Christmas/New Years) and thought that a 3 day cruise would be nice. I would spend that type of Money (less than $800) anyways if I was staying at a hotel with the food and additiional attractions.

My next questions is should I book it now or just wait till I get to florida to see if I can pick up a last minute deal.

The mini cruises are also on older smaller ships. If you want a big mega newer ship you need to take a longer cruise. Although this year 5 day cruises were offered on Voyager out of NY-ofcourse voyager is 3 years old now and I hear noet as nice as the newer voyager class ships..

Disney cruise lines has 3 and 4 night cruises that are wonderful. Usually one day at sea. The kids program is outstanding, the ship very clean, and the service is great. The shows are very good too. Disney line is a good choice for your daughter's first cruise -she'll have a ball and you will too.

Things I notice on shorter cruises:

1. They usually put older ships on the shorter itineraries.

2. Night life goes later into the night

3. Much faster pace

4. (as was mentioned) lots more kids

5. Really limitied selection of ports - mostly Bahamas from Florida on 3 days limited other ports from Miami on 4 days.

We have taken a 7 day & a 5 day cruise. the major difference between the two. I felt like the cruise line tried to squeeze everything from a 7 day cruise into a 5 day cruise. I never had/or took time to relax! The pictures we took you could tell everyday I got more tired!

We will probably stick with no less than a 7 day from now on!

Actually you may find one with a sea day. The Sovereign 4 night has a sea day (Thursday). Also on the 3-4 nighters there is no lobster. SOS also has kids club activities just like any other ship/itinerary. Yes they do use older ships for the shorter cruises but don't let that stop you. The ships are well maintained and if your taking your daughter on her first cruise, a smaller ship might easier for her to find her way around.

Did a 11 day to the PC out of Galveston a couple years ago and had a good time. The only problem is that I was 56 at the time and the youngest person on board. Apparently when you go for longer cruises you get the older folks. Most younger folks don't want to blow 2 weeks of vacation. There was never a problem of getting a chair by the pool and the night life was nowhere to be found. We were the only people at the disco everynight and ended up partying with the staff. The poor pool waiters made -0- dollars the whole 11 days. It was a real shame too because our young female waiter at dinner tried so hard to please but was a emotional wreck after dealing with the early seating for dinner. Apparently her tables were all elderly who did not like anything. If we had not been traveling with four other people our own age it would have been a real let down. We are still young enough to party and if this is what it is like on a long cruise everytime, I out of here!

Archived