Reservation expertise

beargal

Any advice or ideas you can help us with are appreciated. We booked a Feb cruise last Apr as soon as they became available. My husband is changing positions at his company and is not sure he will be able to go on the cruise. We had our TA contact Seabourn this morning to see when is the latest time to change the passenger as my sister would love to take his place if he can't go. Final payment is due in Nov and the answer the TA received was that up to final payment we can change but after that it is handled on a case by case basis. She spoke with several people including the supervisor and that was the same answer she was given by them all. She was told to call them back when the situation happened and they would decide then.

That then leaves us with the alternative to cancel and they don't seem to care. This would be our 3rd Seabourn cruise in less than 12 months (and we have 2 open bookings) but with them sailing so full and the cruise already mostly sold out it is easy to sell our cabin to someone else.

Any recourse you can suggest other than risking it or cancelling it. Crystal has a shorter cruise at that same time and we have been thinking about trying them so maybe this is the time.

Thanks, Rebecca

Usually you can change names at no charge up until finnal payment. It's not clear in your post when you say case by case basis...are they saying it can't be done, or are they saying there will be a charge for the name change? Usually they will let you change the second name after fp, but you may get charged for it.

No charges were discussed at all. The answer was that after final payment was made any change at all in the passenger name (husband to sister) would be allowed on a case by case basis with no examples provided of when they say yes and when they say no. I would be feeling better if the answer had even been yes up to so many days prior maybe with a charge for the change but that was not the answer provided.

Hope this is a little clearer. I can ramble on sometimes. :)

Any advice or ideas you can help us with are appreciated. We booked a Feb cruise last Apr as soon as they became available. My husband is changing positions at his company and is not sure he will be able to go on the cruise. We had our TA contact Seabourn this morning to see when is the latest time to change the passenger as my sister would love to take his place if he can't go. Final payment is due in Nov and the answer the TA received was that up to final payment we can change but after that it is handled on a case by case basis. She spoke with several people including the supervisor and that was the same answer she was given by them all. She was told to call them back when the situation happened and they would decide then.

That then leaves us with the alternative to cancel and they don't seem to care. This would be our 3rd Seabourn cruise in less than 12 months (and we have 2 open bookings) but with them sailing so full and the cruise already mostly sold out it is easy to sell our cabin to someone else.

Any recourse you can suggest other than risking it or cancelling it. Crystal has a shorter cruise at that same time and we have been thinking about trying them so maybe this is the time.

Thanks, Rebecca

Since you are a a repeat costumer...I would call the Club Desk and ask for the supervisor. If your sister wants to go..it would seem reasonable to me that it would not be a problem even at the time of the final payment..but them I am a reasonable person..ha!

As a TA I can tell you the problem is the "theoretical" nature of the request. It is very difficult for Seabourn (or any line) to respond to a request may or may not happen sometime down the road. If they commit (or are perceived to commit) in September but nothing happens until November, either the passenger or Seabourn, or both, are going be in a bad way.

Seabourn can be quite accommodating, but if they start giving an "out" for passenger A and then passenger B wants the same thing, then the "out" becomes a policy and Seabourn starts losing money with numerous passengers trying to, in this instance, substitute out guests....first one to a suite and then both in a suite.

I am not sure how booking the Crystal cruise benefits you, because you would be in the same place unless you are talking about a last minute booking. So I would suggest you commit to not worrying about it until later and if the problem actually arises by the time of final payment. If it does, then you can speak with the right people at Seabourn and commit to a solution.

The problem also could be after FP how close to the cruise you are and if they had sent out final docs. Also if you have air thru them. DHS has some requirements I believe the they have to send out a list of names two weeks before their cruise (but I could be wrong on this) .. IMHO this all adds up to the case by case they gave your TA. ;)

Beargal,

If you have to cancel, do it at least 91 days before sailing to avoid cancellation penalties. Depending on when you cancel, the fees are on a upward scale from 25% to 100% of the total cruise cost as you approach the sailing date. This is fully explained in the Brochure.

If there is definitely a name change, I would get with Seabourn ASAP. Since many Port Authorities, especially US ports require the names, citizenship and passport numbers weeks in advance of the ship's arrival, a name change to the pasenger manifest might be problematic say within 60 days of sailing.

In any case, you have some tough decisions to make in the very near future.

I beg to differ on the timing. There is no 60 day window or anything like it. The days of booking a cruise the day of departure are gone, but you can most certainly book a cruise a week in advance.

The issue deals with revenue and opening doors to people just changing there minds, etc. while trying to get around the penalty provisions of the cruise contract. That is not to say there are not legitimate reasons to try, but not always.

I beg to differ on the timing. There is no 60 day window or anything like it. The days of booking a cruise the day of departure are gone, but you can most certainly book a cruise a week in advance.

The issue deals with revenue and opening doors to people just changing there minds, etc. while trying to get around the penalty provisions of the cruise contract. That is not to say there are not legitimate reasons to try, but not always.

Thanks for the information. I assumed that in the new world order, pasenger manifest changes near the sailing date would raise a flag or cause additional scruitiny. Maybe I am getting a little paranoid as I transition into emerging old geezership. :o

As always, I enjoy your insights, points of view and when you share some of your vast knowledge.

Might I also suggest trip insurance. Insurance comes in many many flavors, and is offered by Seabourn directly (that is the type I selected) or from third parties. There are some insurance policies that allow you to cancel for medical and familly reasons (some require no reason at all but those are quite expensive) and will refund. These policies are relatively expensive but still SIGNIFICANTLY less than the penalties for cancellation close to sailing. Talk to a good TA and tell them your situation and I will wager you could get a trip insurance package that would address your situation and put you at ease.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. I guess i muddled up the information when i first posted. ISSUE: Final payment due 7 Nov Cruise 5 Feb, my husband starting a new position and probably won't know till end of Dec if he can still go on the 3 week cruise. My sister is ready and willing to take his place so there would still be 2 of us cruising in the cabin. Crystal cruise is a 2 week versus the Seabourn 3 week so we may stand a better chance of my husband getting time off.

I guess I have until Nov to make our final decision because I don't think I want to risk the cruise fare if they won't let us change to my sister and we have to cancel after final payment has been made.

Thanks again

Why not give Seabourn a call and tell them that your sailing companion will either be your husband, or your sister, and give them both names as an either/or? Then it's not a surprise when you make your final decision. Their main concern is the occupancy of the cabin.

Denyse

My original posts still are my opinion, regardless of dates.

Another thought, if you want to be certain, book a triple and name both of them. Then take out third party insurance for your husband which may cover the event. If he can't go the penalty will be at the third person rate and you may well be able to obtain a reimbursement.

I would surmise it is better to book a single at 200%, and then add a name to convert to a double, rather than booking a triple, and having to deal with insurance reimbursement.

Denyse

Nope. Seabourn will usually charge for the second person as a new booking, so the first will go at 200% and the second will go as a double...at the prevailing rate. I've been down that road for some of my clients.

Yes, name changes are handled on a case by case basis depending upon when the name is changed... before.. or after docs are kitted and sent.

That is why, no definitive answer from the cruiseline.

However in today's business climate, I wonder how "smart" a 3 week vacation would be for a new hire??? Typically when one has a vacation planned before starting a new job, it is discussed after the offer has been tendered.

Your husband should feel out the the corporate culture keeping in mind that just because they say, "no problem".. that may not be the case at all.

FWIW, cancel for any reason insurance must be purchased within a set time frame from date of deposit. There is also a limit. The ones I've seen are set at $10,000.

Good luck.

I recently booked a SB cruise for December and purchased trip cancellation insurance. It includes a clause for full refund due to a "lay-off" if you've been with a firm for over three years. If your husband took a voluntary change, I would suggest you cancel your trip before the 90-day deadline and rebook when you are certain you will be able to make the trip. Although Seabourn cruises often sell out, there are many who cancel right before the penalties apply.

Why go through the worry about whether SB will offer you an exception? Others have given you good advice, but there is still an element of risk. SB is not a non-profit organization so they may refuse your request if it means an empty stateroom. Itineraries are posted for many months in advance so if you have to cancel this year's cruise, as disappointing as it will be, you will most likely have a similar opportunity in 2008.

Because of my job I don't have the luxury of booking my vacation six months in advance, yet I still find a fun trip and have a good time.

Regardless of our many and varied opinions, your best bet is to contact Seabourn now, let them know of your potential problem, and try to work out that case-by-case solution now, rather than later. As Seabourn is so small, it has the ability to respond in a less corporate manner than other lines, and you may be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't chance it otherwise. Good luck!

Denyse

Archived