Dolphins, felt it was tourist trap

missmissypie068

Was it just us or did anyone else get SICK of being hit up for more money at Dolphin Discovery???? We did a package deal with Cozumel Insider that included the seals and the dolphins. The seal we enjoyed. It was a small group. The dolphin part was a rip. We spent HALF of our supposed dolphin time being hurded like cattle, fitted with gear, standing in lines on the dock. I think they booked WAY too many people for our time and were having trouble dividing people into groups and as a result we got a much shorter swim/snorkel. If we had kids I'm sure we would have purchased the video or a picture. But, their overly toursity tactics of shuttling all of us into a room lined with chairs to watch the video they wanted you to purchase at a high fee and then the photos at $28 a pop was a total rip. It took away from the fun of just being there and experiencing the dolphins and seals. I'll never book this again. I thought it was WAYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced for what we got and the sales people were pushier than the folks we experienced in Jamaica! I thought the stingrays in the Caymans ROCKED over this excursion. Way better deal for the money and you're in the open water with the rays, as opposed to closed in marine park. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority with my opinion because let's face it, who doesn't LOVE dolphins?!?!? I do!!! We had a blast for what SHORT amount of time we had. I just felt it was over-priced, touristy and we were short changed with the amount of time we had with the dolphin.

I'm curious: How long did you get to spend with the dolphins? The website at CozumelInsider.com states that the session is 1 hour long, with 30-35 minutes water time.

Also, they state that each platform is limited to 8 people. Did you have more than that on your platform with the dolphins?

As far as the 'overly touristy tactics'... I guess we come at this with different perspectives. I expect someone to try and sell me something. These places are in business to make money, after all. If I want what they have, I buy it, if I don't, well... I don't buy it. Seems simple enough to me. I can understand how some people feel 'pressured' by salespeople, but, having some experience in that business myself, I guess I look at it differently. No one can make me feel that I have to buy something (well...except my wife :) ) so when they try, I simply smile and say 'no thanks', however many times it takes.

But about the sea lions... You said that you enjoyed this part. Tell me more. I never would have thought about swimming with sea lions, until I had read about it here. That's something that I am very much looking forward too. Details, please!

We swam with the sea lions in May. Our first choice was swimming with the dolphins, but the only time slot that was opened was going to be too late to make our ships departure. We then opted for the sea lion swim and booked it through cozumelinsider.com. We got the package that included entrance to the park ($12) and the sea lion show. Everything was $56.00 and well worth it! Afterwards, we also went into the room to watch the video. The cost was $28.00, but I didn't think they were pushy at all with trying to sell it. I thought the photos were a little pricey at $19.00 each ( a little bigger than a 5 x 7 ), but they were very good and I bought some anyway!

Dannzzigg ~ The sea lion swim lasted about an hour. The group was small (only eight). First you stand on the platform, the sea lion comes out and you are introduced to it and learn all about it. Then you get in the water. It swims past you and you get to feel it. Then everyone individually gets to hold it and it kisses you! Then two people hold hands with stretched out arms, and it jumps over them, turns around and jumps over them again on it's way back. After everyone has a turn, you get back out of the water and the trainer explains how sea lions mimmick everything you do. If you danced ~ it danced. If you clapped ~ it clapped. If you turned around ~ it turned around ....... etc. Then everyone individually got to hug it good-bye. Any other questions .... feel free to ask!

Hi Again:)

Here's what happened......their website says 45 minute session. This is for the dolphin snorkel. We had a HUGE group signed up and they took forever putting us in groups of 8. Once we had our lifejackets on we walked out in a line in our groups and our group was one of the last groups of 8. Sooooooo, what seemed like a large portion of what should/could have been our water time, was spent standing in line and waiting. I would say our total time in the water was approximately 25 minutes.

As for touristy tactics, I agree they're there to make money. I expected the photos and all of that and maybe we just encounted super pushy sales folks, but I don't consider that a fun time. To each their own. No one made me FEEL I had to buy anything, it was just a nuisance.

As for enjoying the sea lions.......let me clarify, I enjoyed the dolphin, too, I just felt it was cut short and touristy. Check out the package deals on CozumelInsider for more info about the sea lions. You can book that alone or as part of a dolphin package. There was just one small group. You don't get to swim with the sea lions, but you get to do some tricks with them. Kids would love this one, for sure. Belle gave some great info on how the sea lion swim worked.

Also, let me clarify that after the sea lion show, no one was pushy at all. They were GREAT. With our experience, it was just after the dolphins. I know we weren't alone in our take on this as others were complaining about the same thing......high cost, waiting in line during what should have been our water time, etc.

I know others have had very different experiences and would go back in a heartbeat. I'm glad we experienced it, but wouldn't do it again based primarily on price.

Archived