South Shore Canopy Tour

THERAPYCRUISE

I am trying to find out about the canopy tours also, I know the southshore canopy is $35, The Palmetto one I think is called the jungle canopy is $45 & the newest one is called pirates of the caribbean which is by Fantasy Island, it is $45, it just opened this month according to Cinthia & Diana which we are doing our tour with. There is one more by tabayan beach that the cruise ship can only use for their tours. If I find out anymore I will post it & would appreciate it if you would do the same. We are leaving in 2 weeks & hope their is info before that.

I am trying to find out about the canopy tours also, I know the southshore canopy is $35, The Palmetto one I think is called the jungle canopy is $45 & the newest one is called pirates of the caribbean which is by Fantasy Island, it is $45, it just opened this month according to Cinthia & Diana which we are doing our tour with. There is one more by tabayan beach that the cruise ship can only use for their tours. If I find out anymore I will post it & would appreciate it if you would do the same. We are leaving in 2 weeks & hope their is info before that.

I also was told by cinthia and diana that we would be doing the pirates zip line. I e-mailed them back to get more info and was directed to the south shore canopy web site. So now I am really confused, is the south shore tour the same as the pirates tour? Let me know if you find anything else out about this and I will do the same.

• 1 month later...

If you want to go for the best go for the palmetto ziplines 13 zip lines 6 different bridges and a wall climbing. The pirate tour has the bridges too but the bridges are too long and take the fun away from the zipping, by the way the palmetto tour is putting in extra lines that way you will have the choice to do only zip lines or do both. check their web page or e-mail them www.roatanjungle.com roatanjungle@yahoo

Tabyana/Gumbalimba Canopy is located just by West Bay Beach, you will have to book this onboard as both Tabyana and Gumbalimba are shore excursion packages.

South Shore is just along the road and is a great location for hitting the beach before or after or popping into West End for a drink, food and some shopping. The West Side of the island is most popular with visitors.

The Jungle Canopy is located mid Island near Palmetto. It is a fun tour and good location for doing many things like the Iguana Farm, seeing all the island.

The Pirates (if I read is right) is located near Fantasy Island and is for the intermediate canopy tour fan or a fit person. I would suggest that if you choose this one and you want to hit the beach that you do it first and have your tour guide take you to the beach after. Be clear on your requirements of what you want to do. Also, if you're being directed to the South Shore canopy website then maybe they are owned by the same person... I don't know about that, but it would make sense.

Remember Roatan is approx 32 miles long and we travel at an average speed of 30 miles an hour. It can take a while getting on your journey due to congestion in the port area.

Whatever you choose to do I hope you have a great time.

A good thing to keep in mind is that the west end and west bay area are always full of traffic and large crowds witch dont make you enjoy the moment or the view. If you try the canopy at mid island you have the chance to go to turqouise bay beach, its a new location located 10 minutes top from the palmetto ziplines with a white sandy beach, all the water sports you want and a souvenir stop near by at the view. At the turqouise you can also eat one of the best lobster plate serve on the island roatanjungle@yahoo

• 4 weeks later...

Iam going December 26 on the Carnival Valor wondering if we can see the monkeys @ Cultural Village, The Orphanage, and The Palmetto Zips Lines all in one trip how close are these to each other, and what do you recomend for transport

Iam going December 26 on the Carnival Valor wondering if we can see the monkeys @ Cultural Village, The Orphanage, and The Palmetto Zips Lines all in one trip how close are these to each other, and what do you recomend for transport

we will be on the valor also. I thought we would be in Roatan on the 27th and belize on the 26th. We are also going to do al the things you are doing. We have booked with cynthia and diana. I don't know the cab company, but I know it is all over these boards. just do a search. Our tour guides have told me that if we get off the ship immediately, we will have time to do all.

• 2 weeks later...

Four of us are considering doing the South Shore Canopy ziplines--but we'd like to go to the beach afterwards. Are we close enough to walk? SSC quoted us $40 pp including pickup and return to the pier or $35 with our own transportation. So, a few questions:

1. How far is it from the pier to SSC?

2. Are taxis easily available at the pier/beach SSC, and what fares should we expect?

3. Should we consider doing ziplines in Puerta Limon or Colon instead, and just spend our Roatan day at the beach?

Thanks to all for your information and opinions. We're on Zenith Jan 26 in Honduras.

Four of us are considering doing the South Shore Canopy ziplines--but we'd like to go to the beach afterwards. Are we close enough to walk? SSC quoted us $40 pp including pickup and return to the pier or $35 with our own transportation. So, a few questions:

1. How far is it from the pier to SSC?

2. Are taxis easily available at the pier/beach SSC, and what fares should we expect?

3. Should we consider doing ziplines in Puerta Limon or Colon instead, and just spend our Roatan day at the beach?

Thanks to all for your information and opinions. We're on Zenith Jan 26 in Honduras.

We got a cab at the pier for $15@ (4 of us-$60 total plus tip) He took about 10-15 minutes to get to SSC. We dropped our kids off and our driver drove us around and showed us a couple of beaches we might want to go to later. We picked up kids and went to the beach. The driver hung around until we were ready to go back to the ship. He then gave another nice tour on the way back offering a shoppi ng stop if we wanted it. (We didn't).

There is definately enough time to do the zipline and beach with 2-3 hours to spare once you're back on the ship. BTW, my kids gave SSC very high reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the answers, CCers. After zipping at SSC we want to go to the Beach for a few hours--can we walk, or is there transportation available? I'm assuming there is transportation from the beach back to the pier, yes? Thanks--leaving in FIVE DAYS!

You cannot walk to the beach from South Shore Canopy Tour. You need to make all of your transportation arrangements to take you where you need to go as soon as you get off the ship. As you walk through the gate onto the street, you will have plenty to choose from.

Carnival Triumph 12/23/05

Carnival Valor 12/24/06

We went to the ziplining place Victor Bodden Tours recommended. Unfortunately I can not remember the name of it, but it is not near West End. It is closer to the iguana farm. I remember leaving the main road to go up a really steep dirt driveway to get there. It cost $45 per person and gave you 22 ziplines plus 6 bridges. VERY much better than what the cruise ship offers. If you go to www.boddentours.com you can ask Victor Bodden youself what the name of it is. It is definitely not the South Shore one.

Upon recommendations from several cruisecritic.com people, we prearranged an english speaking driver and a van for the day with Victor Bodden. Definitely a great idea (many thanks to those at cruisecritic who wrote me about him!!!!). His tour desk is located just outside of the port gates in Roatan. EVERYONE there knows him. Very trustworthy, friendly and reliable.

FYI- it was our first cruise and our first time to Roatan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
we are going to roatan in december and would like to stop at the orphanage a zip line and see some monkeys and of course do a beach can you suggest the best way to hit them all in one area? thank you

There are some excellant guides/drivers mentioned in this forum.

Most are $25 per person (+ tip) for the whole day.

Archived