QE2 in Newfoundland

Transatlantic Tom

It might be a traffic issue. I discovered the cruise ship list on the website for the Port of St. John's. The QE2 is not on the ships or dates listed on the main schedule but there is a blurb at the bottom that states the the QE2 will dock at Conception Bay on Sept 29. Thus it appears that the alternate dock was probably scheduled as such.

Conception Bay is within "minutes of St. John's" as their own website says.

David

I was in St. John's this summer and walked along the Narrows, about as dramatic an entrance to any harbor anywhere. So I naturally was looking forward to seeing the QE 2 "squeeze" through the 600 foot wide channel. When I logged onto the webcam site this afternoon and saw what obviously was a different setting, I was extremely disappointed. Should have looked at this thread first and saved a bit of confusion.

Hi from Newfoundland

According to the news here, the QE2 doesn't dock in St John's harbour because she is an older ship and doesn't have the side thrusters so would have to use tugboats to get her off from the dock. This would have made it a very expensive port. Instead they anchored off Conception Bay and tendered in to Foxtrap. It's not very far from there to St John's. They did the same thing last year. I watched her from my deck go out of the bay yesterday afternoon. I'm sure the passengers had a great day in town as the weather was just gorgeous.

Sarah

Archived