Cruise to Eleuthra Island

nuekruizer

I'm considering either the Memorial Day or the 4th of July sailing to Eleuthera. I love the QM2; & wanted a relaxing short voyage during the summer. Eleuthera is one of the few Bahamian Islands I have not had the chance to explore. But it's funny that you brought this question up. I had been on Princess Cay several years ago & had totally forgotten that it was a part of Eleuthera. Have you confirmed that QM2 is planning a "beach day" at Princess Cay instead of a port of call to Harbour Town, Eleuthera. If this is the case, I'm not as interested now. Bummer!

Hi Nuekruizer,

My wife and I are booked on this trip for our 10th anniversery. This will be our first cruise in 6 yrs and I am hoping the QM2 is as nice as I've read. We're looking forward to it. I haven't been able to find out much on Eleuthera other than it was a major pineapple producing island.

Re: Eleuthera. I think that's the point. I have a friend (who annually visits another friend on Eleuthera); & she tells me that's what she loves about the island. It's so unspoiled & relaxed. The shallows surrounded by their reef system look so beautiful from the aerial photos I've seen. It would make a nice escape for those who lead such busy lives. I decided to throw caution to the wind anyway & booked the Memorial Getaway.

Dear Liv4cruzin and LPM06, I'm so glad you are booked on this cruise. I just got back from my first ever cruise on the QM2 from the labor day trip to Nova Scotia. It was so FABULOUs that I couldnt wait to book again. Can only due a 4 day cruise with my job obligations. The cruise.com site shows a picture and short piece on princess cay. I think cunard bought 40 acres of land there. For just one day there, even a beach day sounds great!

The land on which Princess Cay stands was purchased (or possibly leased) by Princess Cruise Lines many years ago. They did so after both NCL & Royal Caribbean had experienced great success w/ their own "private islands". Then Disney Cruise Lines came long w/ theirs (Castaway Cay). Holland America has since built "Half Moon Cay" into one of the most beautiful P.I. Carnival (possibly standing on the principle of being a trendsetter rather than a follower) did not purchase their own "island" & continued to advertise their "fun day at sea". Since Carnival's acquisition of Cunard (& P&O Lines) they now have "access" to Princess Cay. I always felt that the private island experience was always a highlight of any cruise. And I have no beef w/ making a return visit to Princess Cay. However, the Cunard website promotes the itinerary for this 4-day "Getaway" as a visit to Eleuthera. That is misleading; & I, for one, am disappointed that this trip to Eleuthera will be restricted to their "private beach compound". :(

Dear liv4cruzin, thanks for your comments. i am unsure as to the shore itinerary we will have, but on my last trip to nova scotia, the shore time was so brief that you hardly got to see anything plus the weather was rainy and cloudy. However, the best part was my time aboard ship! Lets hope we have good weather!

• 1 year later...

My wife and I went on the Memorial Day trip last year. There were no jet skis. You could rent sailboats, and paddle water craft. It seems like they pulled some flost behind a boat also. I had a good time that day.

Archived