shops nearby the port of NYC?

haras

Hi,

Cruising on the Carnival Legend in 11 days. Since we're taking a redeye out of LA and arriving early (around 6 am) into JFK on the day of embarkation, I need some advice on what we should do.

If we take a taxi or a private car to the port, does anyone know the price ( i remember that there's a flat fee from JFK into manhattan, does that include the port?) and if we decide on the private car, is there a convient shop to buy some wine and soda/bottled water.

I recall reading somewhere that we can drop off our bags to the porters. If this is true, is there somewhere within walking distance to pick up the beverages we want to buy?

On the day the cruise ends, we have a flight out the same evening. Any ideas on how to see a bit of manhattan with our bags? Is there a place we can possible store it and then come back to retrieve before heading to the airport?

And lastly, can I get a link to the preferred limo service? How much should I expect to pay for the ride from JFK to the port? I called one company and they quoted $100. It doesn't have to be a limo...a regular car would be okay too. Or is the taxi the cheapest way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah

Hi,

Cruising on the Carnival Legend in 11 days. Since we're taking a redeye out of LA and arriving early (around 6 am) into JFK on the day of embarkation, I need some advice on what we should do.

If we take a taxi or a private car to the port, does anyone know the price ( i remember that there's a flat fee from JFK into manhattan, does that include the port?)

The flat fee to Manhattan would cover the port if your port is in Manhattan. If your ship sails from Brooklyn, then, you're not in Manhattan so the flat fee would not apply.

The flat fee for a taxi from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $45.00+toll ($4.50)+tip (about $10).

A private car would cost more.

and if we decide on the private car, is there a convient shop to buy some wine and soda/bottled water.

Near the ship there are very few stores, depends on what street your pier is. There are probably some hot dog vendors and they sell bottled soda and bottled water.

I recall reading somewhere that we can drop off our bags to the porters. If this is true, is there somewhere within walking distance to pick up the beverages we want to buy?

Don't know about the bags but I can't see why not. So walk east from the pier, which is 12th Ave. (you can't walk west, you'd be in the water) to about 10th Ave and see if you see any grocery stores and some liquor stores. If not, walk to 9th Ave and I'm sure you'll spot some. The grocery stores open early, but probably many liquor stores don't open til noon.

On the day the cruise ends, we have a flight out the same evening. Any ideas on how to see a bit of manhattan with our bags? Is there a place we can possible store it and then come back to retrieve before heading to the airport?

And lastly, can I get a link to the preferred limo service? How much should I expect to pay for the ride from JFK to the port? I called one company and they quoted $100. It doesn't have to be a limo...a regular car would be okay too. Or is the taxi the cheapest way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah

Already answered the JFK to port question in first paragraph.

For post cruise, I'm sorry but I just don't know about anyplace to keep luggage. But if you hire a car service for all day then obviously you can keep your bags with you in the car.

Car Service Companies:

AllState - 212-333-3333

Dial 7 - 212-777-7777

Carmel - 212-666-6666

Promenade - 212-587-1616

If you have a snail mail address you can post on the board, I'll pop some discount coupons for these companies in the mail to you.

Or you can do a websearch for a NYC tour company.

If you head East, as Jane110 posted, (I think it was 52ndSt.) about two blocks from the West Side pier is a very good liquor store. It was on either 9th or 10th, about 1/2 way between 52nd and 53rd. You can see if from the corner, looking slightly left and across the street. Didn't notice sodas or water, but they had lots of booze. I'm sure there must be a grocery around there-lots of residential apts. in the area. I was looking for a bottle of Kahlua and noticed the store on my walk to 7th Ave. in January. The price wasn't too bad either.

Yes, you can leave your bags with the porters and go sightseeing pre cruise. The Intrepid and the Concorde are right next door to the West Side piers.

After your cruise, you will either have to hire a taxi or car service to keep your luggage so you can sightsee. Public luggage storage facilities went bye-bye after 911.

Archived