On-line TA vs. RCI

FrogCruiser

I booked a cruise for my mother/sister...was surfing other cruise sites (this is addicting after all) - and came across a web based TA that offers free insurance ... and the cruise fares were lower than the posted RCI fares. I thought RCI did not allow this ... so, before I cancel the RCI reservation and rebook in a higher category for less money and free insurance - does anyone have any experience with these type of web-besed TA's?

thanks for any info..

Please aware that on many internet sites, the price listed does not include taxes and port fees, which can add up to quite a bit. Its very possible that the price listed that you saw isn't any different than the price you got through RCCL since the price you booked at includes these extra fees. Most internet sites have a 1 800 number. Call or email them to see what the price would be with port fees and taxes. It usually increases the price quite a bit.

Further if there has been a price drop which is why there is a difference, you can call RCCL and have them apply the price drop to your booking. You don't have to cancel you booking to neccesarily get a price change.

Then if the price is the same, you have to decide if the free insurance is something you want to make a change for.

Also, if you decide to change, you may be able to have you original booking transferred over, rather than having to cancel and start over.

Be careful when booking with online TA's. Some have their own cancellation penalties above those of the cruiseline. Some don't accept coupons or honor price reductions etc. Also trying to get a live customer service person on the phone can be probematic with some.

I suggest you book with a more traditional TA, one who has first hand experience with the cruiseline and ship etc and is available to you when you need them.

Thanks for all your suggestions...I double checked and for a D1 cabin on RCI it's 739.00 and for the on line agency I'm looking at (based in Danbury Ct.) it's 689.21 -- plus the insurance for the on line folks and RCI charges 118.00 for the insurance - so it's about a 217.50 cheaper on line if we are comparing apples to apples - and that is what I don't know yet -- I was aware that it isn't supposed to be less via a TA with RCI but somehow this seems to be...guess I'll give them a call.

Sounds like someone I used recently. The price was lower because they had a group rate for the cabins and a few were left over. i not only got free insurance, but when i saw a price drop we got that. They then had a happy hour for a superior ov. We started with a cat N inside on the EOS and wound up with a superior OV for about $10 less than when we started. Check it out. Mine was the initial place.

I used a online agency to book a cruise and the TA has changed 3 times. No One follows thru and they tell me it's my responcibility to call them and let them know final payment is due so they can bill it to my charge card. I gave up control of my reservation for $150 OBC but never again.

Called the on line agency - or rather one that looks like a sister to the original one... found out first that the price drop was because they now have a senior fare for certain state residents that either wasn't originally available or I didn't input the right data to find it... regardless, the on line agency can take a reservation transfer and offer free insurance or 7% of cruise value in shipboard credit. They do have a 75 dollar cancellation fee, unless the insurance would kick in - for health/death etc reasons..but even so, 75 dollars is less than the cost of the insurance so it looks like I'll transfer the reservation...Also, if price drops in the future they will get the credit for that also...

Thanks for all your help...

Frogcruiser...

just for future reference, buying insurance from the cruiseline is the most expensive way to purchase insurance. You can purchase insurance for a fraction of the cost from many of the very reputable travel insurance companies.

I have used http://www.insuremytrip.com for quotes on my last 2 cruises and ended up with the insurance by Travelex called travelite.

If fact you may want to go ahead and get a quote from them for this cruise and if its cheaper, take the shipboard credit instead. At least you may want to see which way would be the better deal.

Be careful when booking with online TA's. Some have their own cancellation penalties above those of the cruiseline. Some don't accept coupons or honor price reductions etc. Also trying to get a live customer service person on the phone can be probematic with some.

I suggest you book with a more traditional TA, one who has first hand experience with the cruiseline and ship etc and is available to you when you need them.

The online travel agent we formerly used would deduct a percentage of our platinum discount towards their commission. That was the last straw for us. Now we book all our cruises ourselves. It's great to have "total control" over our bookings and not rely on anyone else. :D

Frogcruiser...

just for future reference, buying insurance from the cruiseline is the most expensive way to purchase insurance. You can purchase insurance for a fraction of the cost from many of the very reputable travel insurance companies.

I have used http://www.insuremytrip.com for quotes on my last 2 cruises and ended up with the insurance by Travelex called travelite.

If fact you may want to go ahead and get a quote from them for this cruise and if its cheaper, take the shipboard credit instead. At least you may want to see which way would be the better deal.

Cruise line insurance is generally higher than getting it from a Travel Guard or the like. I must disagree that you can get it for a fraction of the cost of cruise line insurance. In my experience, it is 5%-10% less expensive.

I usually purchase cruise line insurance because in most instances there is a clause built in where you can recover 75% of the cruise fare for any reason. This refund comes in the form of a future cruise credit.

There may be policies which are very much cheaper than cruise line ins., I have a feeling those have a pretty slim benefit package.

Maybe its dependent on passenger age and cost of cruise, because the last 2 cruises that we purchased insurance using private companies, it was more than 50% cheaper than getting it through the cruise company.

It is true that the cruise company insurance will let you cancel for any reason and get a 75% credit toward a future cruise, but if that's not important to your personal circumstances, then it cheaper to go with a private company.

Just priced out the trip insurance from insuremytrip... it's about 2 - 3 times more expensive than the cruise line insurance... better check the limits on the policy on RCI's insurance, as I suspect the medical limits are higher from the insuremytrip plans..

Strongly suggest a comparison of *all* the terms. I seem to recall that the $ difference was negligible but you got so much more in benefits. We've gone independent last few times since they seem much more liberal as to what qualifies for a refund. (Specific example: not just limited to traveler or even immediate family illness - ilness of business partner also covered). I've seen postings here where people got a full refund because their childcare fell through at the last minute. Can't imagine RCCL would do that...

Archived