Highest soda card/specialty restaurants at sea?

flagger

Ok from all my research I have noticed that RCCL/X charge the highest fees in the industry for a soda card. Are they not paying the same price as everyone else for their Soda (apparently Coke and some variant)? I wish they would follow what I have read about Disney and just drop charges for soda all together. When you don't drink alcohol, you do drink lots and lots of soda.

And I noticed that the specialty restaurant is now $30. We are still wavering on that. $60 for a couple is quite a chunk of change when there is so much free food all over the ship. Maybe you are paying for the presentation, but it is all just food IMHO. I have seen the speciality restaurants charge as little as $15 on NCL POA to X's $30 fee.

Flagger, flagger, flagger:

A few days ago, I answered a post of yours about being seated in the kitchen of a restaurant. Now, you are questioning the upcharge for a specialty restaurant? Why? I know you like to stroke people on these boards. Are you being serious on this question?

Life is short. You only go around once. The kids grow up very fast. I am a bit over 65 so I am well into the final part of the voyage. Enjoy your cruise(s). Consider the total cost of transportation, cruise, land lodging, etc. and you will see the soda card and/or upscale restaurant costs won't kill you. Go with the flow.

I am not trying to be smarta** about this. I am very serious. We lost a member of our family very young in life. Since then, our attitude is "Live For Today." Do not worry about saving a few dollars that your grandchild will blow on a burger in fifteen or twenty years. Do your own thing and tomorrow will take care of itself.

Les

Having eaten in the Olympic dining room on the Millenium, I would gladly have paid twice the $30 and still considered it a bargain. The specialty restarurants are not a necessity to enjoying the cruise. The dining room's food and service is very very good. But for those that seek something even betteror more special, I'm all for personal choice options. As for RCL's soda card price, it includes OJ and I suspect that is because of some people wanting to get OJ all day to mix with their smuggled booze.

If you are upset about the price of the soda cards. Bring pop back on board a couple bottles at each port. We bring a 12 pack of Pepsi on board and keep it in the mini bar.

As to the specialy restaurants. They are more than worth it. The food is incredible, try the Goat Cheese Souffle it's to die for. If you think the food can't get any better than what is in the restaurant, wrong. I am switching to a C-class ship for my next trip and really wish they had their own Specialty.

Hi Everyone !

I totally agree with HD and others, about the 30.00 per person for Specialty Dining. I have tried this a few times, and it is WELL WORTH the 60.00 for 2. The food is outstanding and so is the service and ambiance.

If you would have a similar meal in a high end restaurant, it would easily cost 100-200 per person, maybe more.

Also, keep in mind that Celebrity says that they do not keep the 30.00 per person charged, and the money is a tip for the Restaurant personnel.

I think everyone should try this dining experience at least once.

Regards,

Andy

Yes I have priced a Disney cruise. Their prices have not suddenly gone up with their recent announcement of free soda on board.

I think you can cruise almost twice on X for what Disney charges for 1 cruise!

Flagger - As far as the soda card price from what I understand other cruise lines will open a can of soda and pour it in a cup for you leaving the other half of the can sitting and waiting for the next person who orders where as X will gives you soda out of a fountain spout. That could be why there is a price difference - simply put the equality on X is better and if that is the case I am fine with paying a few dollars more. Do you mind me asking what the price difference was? As far as the specialty restaurant goes I will try it once and see if in my opinion it is worth the money (I have a feeling it will be). It could be again that the quality is better on X and that again is why there is an increase.

Hi Everyone !

Also, keep in mind that Celebrity says that they do not keep the 30.00 per person charged, and the money is a tip for the Restaurant personnel.

Ahhh, therein lies the rub ... for the OP.

Flagger - As far as the soda card price from what I understand other cruise lines will open a can of soda and pour it in a cup for you leaving the other half of the can sitting and waiting for the next person who orders where as X will gives you soda out of a fountain spout. That could be why there is a price difference - simply put the equality on X is better and if that is the case I am fine with paying a few dollars more. Do you mind me asking what the price difference was?
I have seen reports of soda cards as low as $15 for a week on one line. From everything I can tell, it is only for fountain drinks on all lines, and the cans are extra. I know I have yet to cruise, but I am sure I am not the only one who thinks $42 for a week for soda is a bit steep.

As far as the speciality restaurant goes, it seems the menu has remained the same. I know food prices fluctuate, but considering the amount in bulk that X buys it would seem that $5 more per person is just pure profit. Also, no one can verify if the service charge is in fact going all to the wait staff in those restaurants as many people report leaving additional gratuities. I did notice on the dailys of another line, there was a line about the charge for the speciality restuarant included gratuities.

Good point about not knowing if the fee is 100% gratuity. I asked the question awhile back and did not get a response so I am assuming that is. If that is the case and the waiter(s) are getting $60 I do not see a reason to give an additional tip. I can't comment on if the experience is worth it or not because I have yet to experience it but I will definitely be trying it because we can afford to. However, if I was on a budget I would have to reevaluate if that is where I want that money to go and that is a decision only you and your wife can make.

I would bring plenty of soda on that way you won't have to purchase the soda card.

If you do not want to purchase a soda, feel free to indulge in the free drinks at the buffet. In the morning orange, apple, & grapefruit. In the afternoon, fruit punch, lemonade, & iced tea. At dinner iced tea is available at no charge. There is plenty to drink at no charge and if you must have a soda pick it up on shore.

As to comment on the specialty restaurants, it's rude to comment on things you don't know. The $30 charge does go to the wait staff of the restaurant as they do not get tips on the last day. We had dinner with some of the cruise staff and they were required to leave a tip at the end of the night. If you want average service, go on some of the other lines where they take the tip our of you room account and distribute it amoung the staff without you having a say as to who gets it. I prefer to have a say in who I tip. If you don't wish to pay the $30 charge don't go. There are plenty of us that will. You will be missing out on a grand dinning experience.

Celebrity is a cruiseline of better quality than the rest of the mass market lines out there. They do everything they can to keep the price competetive while producing a superior product. If i have to pay a little more for some of the extra, then so be it. I don't want Celebrity becoming a mass market cruiseline. The classic cruise experience is to important to me.

As to comment on the specialty restaurants, it's rude to comment on things you don't know. The $30 charge does go to the wait staff of the restaurant as they do not get tips on the last day.
To be fair, if you spend enough time researching these boards you can find all sorts of "information" about the service charge for the specialty restaurant as to how much goes to the servers. Frankly the menus posted have not impressed us, but we might just go for the ambiance which seems it is really what you are paying for.

Flagger,

To be honest with you, I had my doubts about the Normandie on the Summit. We had tried the steakhouse on the Brilliance and service was slow, 3 hours to eat in a mostly empty restaurant. The food in the Normandie was fantastic and the service was great. I had the goat cheese souffle and loved it. Had heard much about it and questioned what I had heard. Something about cheese from a goat. My wife and I share the chateau briand, sorry for the spelling, and it was mouth watering. Followed by cheese and crackers to cleanse the pallet before dessert. Four hours passed and I didn't want the night to end. The service was more attentive than anything you get in the main restaurant.

If my memory has not been too much affected yet by Alzheimer's, it seems that the $30 surcharge in the specialty restaurant was complained about previously by Flagger ad nauseam. It also seems that the consensus of responses was "if you think it's too much, don't do it and now stop whining".

I am retired and on social security, but when my lovely (and fortunately still-working) wife and I go on a cruise, we don't make ourselves miserable worrying about the price of every little niggling detail, and just let ourselves go with the flow and enjoy to the utmost every precious moment of our experience. Even if we have to scrimp some after we get back, or before we go, we want to deny ourselves nothing in the way of reveling in the joys of a Celebrity cruise. We went to the Normandie on Summit last fall and absolutely loved the dining experience. We will definitely go to the specialty restaurant on Constellation in a couple of weeks and might even go several times. It is superb food, superb service, a superb ambiance, and a superb experience. The $30 each is not much more than you would pay for a meal at TGIFridays or Hooters, and I guarantee you would not get the same quality or even quantity of food. Oops! I forgot that one of Flagger's original complaints was that it might be TOO much food.

Flagger.... if you think it's too much, don't do it. But, until you actually HAVE done it, you don't really have much of a right to have an opinion about the quality or cost-value of the experience. You originally, months ago, asked for our opinions, which we gave overwhelmingly saying it was worth the cost, yet you are still complaining. If you had a similar dining experience in a city in the U.S. large enough to even offer such an experience, your tip (unless you're one cheap guy) would probably come close to the cost your'e complaining about.

Now just hush and try to let yourself enjoy a wonderful cruising experience. I also agree with a previous post which said that he/she would rather have the option of choosing to utilize or turn down options, rather than have the price of the cruise raised to include such options or to offer them at a "bargain" price. You might find soda pop cheaper on Carnival, but you would ultimately be paying MORE money for a LESSER cruise experience.

Love ya, Flagger. Mean it.

Allen

I don't want Celebrity becoming a mass market cruiseline. The classic cruise experience is to important to me.

Chessbriar - it is too late for that it already has started leaning that way

As to comment on the specialty restaurants, it's rude to comment on things you don't know.

Chessbriar - the only person being rude here is you. Take a second and breath..... Flagger had a valid statement. This is a forum where people will discuss things including things they don't know everything about and it is certainly not rude!

Tuggers - if he does not want to tip then I would agree that the restaurant is probably not for him. However, that was not what he was commenting on. He was inquiring about the $5 price increase which is valid. I just don't understand being rude to him.

As some of these threads go, I don't think this one has been very rude. That's part of flagger's thing. He like to pick at something until he goads someone into saying something he (or someone like you) can pounce on and then it gets to be a BIG deal.

Chill. Half this stuff he doesn't even believe! :rolleyes:

This thread is not about tipping. It is just an observation that of the lines that sell soda cards and have upcharge specialty restaurants, Celebrity seems to charge the highest fees. It also looks like RCCL charges the same for their soda card.

If you think chessbriar wasn't rude then I guess there is no point in reasoning with you (but please go back and read his comment).

As a final thought on this my feeling is that if you see someone being rude then you should say something. In my opinion he was out of line so I said something just as I would if someone was using one of those treaded walkie talkies on the ship. They are rude and I would say something.

BB5953

Actually, Celebrity can't make up it's mind as to Premium or Mass Market. The want the people of a mass market and price themselves accordingly. They take a step toward mass market then one to set themselves ahead of the mass market. It's a tough line to walk, but by placing 7 ships in the top nine of Conde Nast Traveler annual poll. I'd have to say they are still ahead of the curve.

As to saying I'm rude for commenting on Flaggers comments. First off people on this board who have been there have said it's well worth the money. But still yet Flagger criticizes eventough he or she has not tried the product. Flagger is comparing Celebrity's specialty restuarant to those of other cruiselines. You can't do it, it's not the same thing. Having tried them on the other lines, it's like comparing for example an Outback to a Five Star Restaurant. That's why there is a price difference. Celebrity gives you Four Star dining in their normal restaurant so they have step it up for the extra charge.

I'd love to hear how great it is that RCL and X don't charge 3% for cash advances as the other lines do. Or how great it is that RCL and X don't automatically charge your room bill for tips for all the staff even if you never saw the people who end up with your money, like other lines do. The people who complain about a few extra dollars on the soda card and specialty restaurant apparently don't realize the other lines find other ways of getting your money.

Archived