1st Family Cruise on Fantasy/Need Tips?

dubmeister

We have 2-adults/3-children(12,10 and 7), going on Fantasy in October--staying in rather small, 4B interior. Have heard criticisms of smells, movements, food, embarkation, etc. Could really use some tips on: seasick preparedness for kids, tipping for service, when and where do we need to be early to sign up for something or get good seating, saving on excursions, other items to bring(e.g., walky-talkies), is there a basketball court, have the renovations made a difference, what to do on bad weather days, what extra charges surprised you, what does travel insurance cover? Sorry for the long list, but we're beginners and need you veterans to help. Thanks for your time.

http://home.g-net.net/~cbrock/

An excellent "packing list" can be found at the above site. Might help you with some items. The site also has information about programs expressly for your children. You say you bought "trip insurance". Different policies have different types of coverage. Which one did you buy.

For your first cruise, I'd suggest choosing a tour through Carnival rather than one booked through an outside vendor. While a bit more expensive, they are in charge of all preparations. You have no need to do anything...other than pay.

Enjoy.

I just posted an extensive review of the Fantasy sailing that we just took from 7/4 to 7/8. I would recommend it to all and the walkie talkies are a great idea. We have them that they not only have the primary band but sub bands as well this way you are less likely to get intereference from others. Here is the link to my review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=52486

I will help answer any questions you may have.

1. Tips are added to your sign and sail they are $10 per person for each day of the cruise. So the 4 night cruise it is $40 per person.

2. Surprise charges that you may see: all food services that you pay extra for soda, alcoholic drinks, milkshakes, cakes from the bistro have a 15% tip added automatically

3. We encountered no smells.

4. The interior cabins looked nice from what we seen and the ship is gorgeous.

5.. Seasickness--didn't really notice any motion on this ship but I recommend Seabands (available in CVS or Walgreens) they are put on the pressure points of your wrist and really do work or Bonine.

6. Early sign up for shore tours----call Carnival and have them send you the descriptions of the tours and get an idea of what you want to do or go to Carnival.com and look under shore excursions. They have the sign up on a first come first serve basis. You can sign up as soon as you board. The shore tour desk is open then. I describe the two tours we took in the review. I also have the price list and times from our cruise if you are interested.

7. Good seating would be necessary for the shows and I would recommend getting there at least 20 minutes early.

I am in the process of uploading my pictures and should have them completed in the next day or so. I will be posting the link to the pictures once they are up so you can look and see how beautiful the ship is. Hope this helps.

We stayed 5 to a cabin on the Sensation. Its gonna be tight but it really is do-able. The rollaway takes up too much room in a cabin.- can one of the kids double up with their sibling??

Take an over the door shoe holder to hang in the bathroom for all the little goodies that you will have for 5 people- toothbrushes, soaps deodarnts- hair products, hair dryers curling irons, sun screen and on and on. I have the 12 compartment case and it held everything and kept my counter top and desk top clutter free.

I have two kids that we always take with us on our cruises. And I swear by Emetrol for nausea and vomiting. You can buy it at Wal-Mart, but it's still not cheap compared to most kids medicines. I think it's around 6 or 7 dollars a bottle, but it's well worth it. It is the only medicine around that will make my kids stop vomiting. And believe me, I've tried everything! Even my husband and I use it. It has dosage charts on it for kids and adults. One other product everyone raves about here on the CC boards is bonine. You will notice it on most packing lists. You will also hear people talk about not leaving home without it. Bonine is for nausea and vomiting and can be purchased just about anywhere. I always bring bonine and emetrol when I cruise. My husband and I have never gotten seasick, but our daughter did once and we were glad we brought something along. If you do forget your seasickness meds. just go to the ships doctor and he'll give you something. The only thing the doctor won't give you are the patches for seasickness. They are by prescription only.

Our whole family of 4 stayed in an inside cabin and we had no problem. Even my husband who is 6'6' didn't complain. You really don't spend much time in your cabin because there is so much to do on the ship. There are trivia contests, pool parties, scavenger hunts, broadway shows, movies, and much much more. The ships staff tries very hard to keep you busy and happy. And don't worry about bad weather days. The only thing bad weather effects is laying out by the pool. All of the other activities are inside.

All I can say about food is be ready to be stuffed. I have never eaten so much in my life! In the main dining room they feed you a five course meal. And that doesn't include all of the pizza's, hamburgers, and junk food you eat all day long. Don't worry about your cruise. You will have a blast!

You will all likely have a blast! We are soon to go on our 3rd cruise and we're also a family of 5 with our kids being similar to your kids ages. (ages of ours are: close to 14, 10, and 7). So far, our kids have never gotten seasick. I'm the only one who suffers in that area, so I ALWAYS take Bonine (even for long car rides, plane rides, amusement parks, etc.) and it has worked wonderfully for me each time. I think kids in general have a much higher tolerance for vestibular disturbances, which is why they can go on those Tilt-A-Whirls forever without a problem!!!!!

So far we have always booked 2 inside rooms for our family and it has worked out well. I think you'll be fine with the one room, but you might check what a 2nd room would cost you just out of curiosity. Suprisingly, sometimes it doesn't come out to be very much more for the 2nd room~~this happened on our last cruise. Depending on how full the ship is, the 3rd, 4th, & 5th passenger rates may not be that much lower than the 1st 2 people in a room. We haven't ever tried the walkie-talkies but I've heard others say they were helpful. We are taking a baby monitor to put in the kids room at night so we can "listen in" and just feel better about being able to hear them if needed. (Got the monitor at a garage sale for about $5!)

Happy Cruising!

I've sailed on the Fantasy twice the interior was different the second time. The ship had been in dry dock. I really enjoyed my cruises on the Fantasy. There was a certain location on the ship that you could smell what smelled like sewage. I have been told it wasn't that it was something else. I did not notice this smell anywhere else in the ship.

Did you knoiw that soda is free in the dining room for kids under the age of 12.

Which can save you money on sida cards for the younger 2. Ice tea/Lemonade and fruit punch are free as Chocalate or white milk is also. At dinner that is what we drank---yummy---choc milk.

At night before bed..maybe order milk/cookies and brownies from room service. Im sure the kids will get a kick out of that.

Archived