at NCLA training NOW some info

ohioNCLcruiser

I'm at piney point as we speak and thought I would shed some light. First I won't give out any of my info.

About 390 people here. Very diverse group and I can say yes prob half won't last....but the line is trying very hard and have excellent feelings for the future. Everyone here is very excited for the job but some lack experience.

One impressive thing is NCLA is VERY serious about their envirement stuff then other cruise lines.

And they also said if we mess up people will tell their friends....and online from cruise review websites.

Aloha

Ps feel free to ask me anything.

Good luck to you. Just one question for you, our those there for NCLA training trained separately from the other people there for training for cargo vessels when it comes to the safety classes you guys take?

Michael

Hagerstown, MD

That's kind of strict. I was in the navy and from what I read, Piney Pt is almost like boot camp and that is why some people probably don't make it. They don't realize the Merchant Marine is run a lot like the military and it's a surprise to them when they get down there and it's not a 3 week summer camp. You hang in there, I live in western Maryland and I haven't been down that way in over 6 years, even if they let you off campus, there's not much to do. Take care.

Michael

Hagerstown, MD

Good luck! and once on the ship do one thing above everything else -HAVE FUN !!!!!! :D If you love what you do you will do better at it and not notice the long hours. I think those that make will make more because of attitude than skills but of course it is best to both the skills and a good attitude.:)

About 390 people here. Very diverse group...

What would you say is the age range of the class?

I take it you're at the Paul Hall Center?

I notice there are a number of courses listed on the center's website, which courses are people in the class taking?

We are at that center but ncla has their own little thing going on. Its like a old hotel here. One thing that I'm impressed with is ncla staff here admit that ncla had a horrible start but I really think its the time for the company to shine. When you walk into the lobby there is a huge 15 foot model that's simular to the titanic...lights up. They also have a crew bar. That's all ncla people can do inside the building. They can go outside. The pool is closed.

Aloha

I went to a job fair in Detroit about 2 weeks ago and signed a contract for conditional employment as a bar waiter. I have passed my physical and drug test so I'm just waiting on my background check, and then I should be joining you.

I was just wondering if you could give me an in-depth preview of what life is like. My cousin has already completed his first contract onboard the Pride of Hawaii, and has told me some things, but it might be more fresh and easier to recall for you.

I want the bad and the good. Things like living arrangements and amenities (gym use?). I know the pay isn't the same as when you get on the ship, so what is that like? Is it enough? What are the people like? I know that there is some stuff we have to do to get our merchant mariners document as well as other stuff we must complete for our specific job, but you could probably give me the specifics. Also, what is your basic daily routine? And, if you know, what is required of a potential bar waiter, to get hired onboard a ship? I'd like to prep as much as possible, so anything you know and can answer is very much appreciated.

Archived