Cell phone reception

lydiagb

First let me say that I'm not a heavy cell phone user and I certainly won't be on my cruise. I respect that this is a vacation for everybody. But I will need to check in with my Mom who will be checking in with the boarding facilities that our favorite little monsters will be staying at while we are cruising. We have Verizon Wireless (but I don't know if that makes a difference) and I'm wondering if we will be in range either while we are at sea or in port. This is the schedule of our cruise:

Sun san francisco, california

Mon at sea * *

Tue victoria, british columbia

Wed at sea * *

Thu hubbard glacier (cruising)

Fri skagway, alaska

Sat juneau, alaska

Sun icy strait point, alaska

Mon sitka, alaska

Tue ketchikan, alaska

Wed at sea * *

Thu at sea * *

Fri san francisco, california

All information appreciated!

Thanks,

Lydia

Call Verizon and ask if your plan will be covered and if you will have reception. I called last week and was told that Verizon does not have their own cell towers in Alaska but they use others and call it extended coverage. The lady told me how to update my phone by dialing a number so that it would work there. She said that I would have coverage in all of my ports which are Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Anchorage, and they would all be covered under my nationwide minutes once I updated. It was very easy and only took a few minutes.

Your best bet is to call and ask.

Good luck!

We sailed the Inside Passage on the Sapphire last month. My Cingular service was hit or miss. It was no problem for me since I had no important calls to make or receive.

On our last day at sea a few hours prior to docking in Victoria we were sitting on the balcony enjoying the beautiful sunny day. Suddenly it became quite noisey and I looked around us only to see quite a few passengers using their cell phones. It was quite a scene and one of the memories I'll always have of this trip. Someone must have caught good reception and others followed.

"Guess where I'm calling you from"....

We got Verizon service in Anchorage, Juneau, Vancouver

No service in Denali and Talkeetna,Whittier, Ketchikan, and Skagway

I got Verizon service in Denali, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway as well as Fairbanks and Anchorage. You must have a cell phone that will take an analog signal, you must put 1's in front of the area codes and you may have to wait up to 2 minutes before the phone finds a signal and the call connects. If the call fails just try again. It is hit or miss. But you can make calls. You are not charged for the waiting time. Also, you may want to change your plan to the 'One rate national' plan so you will not be charged roaming fees. You can change it back after the trip (No fee)

Verizon customers should dial *228, then option 2, and simply follow the instructions. It takes a couple minutes to update your phone software for the local towers. If this does not work, you can't get service from your location. Good luck.;)

Verizon customers should dial *228, then option 2, and simply follow the instructions. It takes a couple minutes to update your phone software for the local towers. If this does not work, you can't get service from your location. Good luck.;)
*228 is to update your phone so that you MAY not have to pay roaming. If you have the "ONE RATE NATIONAL PLAN" *228 will not work. (I tried it) I was told the reason was because I had the One Rate Plan and as long as there was service it did not matter if it was Verizon - I would be able to use it and not get charged roaming.

As I said above, I got service at all the ports; Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway as well as Denali, Fairbanks and Anchorage.:D

Archived