can you carry on garment bags?

HarleyGirl

My DH and I plan to carry on everything we need in duffle bags that fit into the 24 x 16 category or smaller, as required for carry-on by Carnival. (yep, we travel light!) However, the garment bags that I've seen are all larger than that but we only have about three items that will have to be in one (my formal, his jacket and shirt) so I was just wondering if you can just roll it up smaller to stick it through the security machine or whatever it is that requires it to be 24 x 16 or smaller, just to get it through, and then unroll it. Is that crazy?

I was hoping to carry everything on and not have to worry about finding it at debarkation, having to put it outside the cabin early the night before and also we'd have everything we need at embarkation rather than having to possibly wait on it to arrive at our cabin. Any suggestions?

You know, I guess it's possible that if I couldn't do that, maybe I could leave room in the top of my duffle bag and carry my dress in the car hanging up and when we get to the port, carefully fold it and put in the duffle bag and then as soon as we're on the ship take it back out. I'm sure a FEW wrinkles can be expected on a cruise! And we have late dinner seating (at least we requested that but of course I know it's not guaranteed) so maybe everybody will be too drunk by then to notice my wrinkles. HAHA:p

The ship will absolutely let it through - as long as it fits through the big x-ray machine at the port. We always carry a jam packed garment bag plus my big duffel. On one cruise someone was bringing their full sized MICROWAVE on board - so with a garment bag, you should have no problems.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Any bags you carry on must fit through the scanner, it's about the size of what airlines use. So, if your garment bag fits through, it will be fine.

If you do carry on everything, don't embark until after 1 PM. You have to keep everything you carry on with you until the cabins are ready. We just turn our bags over to the porters, it is so much easier. No lugging things along, you can start enjoying the ship right away without being encumbered. The elevators are painfully slow, more so on the first and last day.

We did self help disembarkation once and will never do it again. I prefer the ease of just walking off the ship without feeling like a pack mule. You do not have to leave your bags out early in the evening, it's more like midnight. We just leave out a change of clothes and are in our jammies when we put our bags out, I think most people are.

You will be amazed at the crowds of people waiting on the stairwells, in the lobby, in the buffet area, with tons of luggage. There are so many more people wanting to self help disembark now, it really is making lines longer and jamming up the space. It can be difficult to get around the mess.

I'm sorry if I dissuade you, but life is just so much easier if you allow your bags to be handled by the porters and ship crew. Can it be done? Yes, but it's not real easy and it really doesn't do you much good or save much time. I guess I just prefer the easiest route.

Kathy,

We did self-disembarkation last cruise (last weekend) and it was the best choice we have ever made. For people who drive themselves to the port (like we do and the OP has indicated they are doing), self-disembarkation gets you off the ship HOURS earlier and gets you on your way home. The cruiseline normally gives last priority to those who drive, so you wind up standing around until 10:30 or 11 am ... with absolutely nothing to do. We were off the ship and home before 8:30 am.

Yes, you do have to haul your own stuff, but that makes you think before you pack and keeps the unnecessary items out of the bag. I look at it as my first post-cruise back-to-exercise weightlifting session ~ :)

I guess it depends. We didn't get off the ship any earlier. We had to battle through the hordes of people waiting in the lobby to disembark. The lines to get off were a mile long. The only people I saw having an easy time of it were a couple who had only a large rolling suitcase each, no carry ons, garment bags, camera cases or purses.

This was for a short cruise and one post day, so we did not have much luggage, only a rollaboard and a carry on tote each, plus my purse. It was too much trouble.

The garmet bag I own folds in half and you can hook it so it stays that way with a handle to carry. Once through the x-ray it can be unhooked so that the garmets hang the full length. Leaving it home next trip (10/28/06) and going to try and make it with just one suitcase.

Carol

Archived