Galaxy San Juan Embarkation

Rowtyd

Usually, there is the "official" boarding time that is printed on the documents but I have found they usually let you board 2-3 hours earlier. Is this true for Celebrity? What is the earliest anyone has got onboard for a 10:00pm departure?

In February we were on the Southern Carib. cruise from San Juan, which was leaving at 11pm. When I was making my flight reservations for some reason I thought that it was leaving at 5pm and thus I booked my flight very early in the morning. I ended up arriving in PR before noon and boarding the ship around noon. They did not give us any trouble about the early arrival. The only difference I found, was that there was no champagne upon arrival, and our luggage took a little time (about 1 hour) to come up to the stateroom, which was a little bit of a hassle since I was wearing very warm clothing (coming from Hartford CT, and about 20F) and it was 80F in San Juan.... With all that said, you should be able to board earlier....

The first night with late departure has open seating. It is determined by how early you get there. You are given an "early" or "late" ticket for the first night.

HINT: If you want the other seating, just let them know, and they will let you change.

Did they have open seating, or were you able to dine at your "normal" time and table that you'd have the remainder of the cruise?

No, there is open seating. You just show up and they seat you for dinner... My only complaint is that some times I really like the wait staff during this first night, and unfortunately I do not get to have them the rest of the trip...

Funny thing is, they don't yet tell us where we will be docking for embarkation. With the Empress in, will we be docking on OSJ? X doesn't know yet.

There's two spots at the Pan Am Pier so most likely you'll be there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Boarding would be the normal - check in open by 11:00am and boarding by about 11:30am.

You can get back off and taxi into old town from the pier area.

Walking my be a bit long at that point.

That's great to get on that early, but I didn't know you could get back off. So, is it the same as any other port then? There must be a separate entrance to get back on? Does anyone have any more information on this?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

What other first night activities are different for San Juan and the late departure? For example do they still have the muster drill just before the departure - in this case 10PM - or is it a different time due to the dinner schedule?

I'm curious as we'd like to figure out the best time for a sail-away gathering for our roll call. Most of our other cruises have been 5pm departures from Ft Lauderdale or L.A - so we've done them just after the muster drill.

Also - I just want to make sure I understand a couple of the earlier comments about dinner. Is this open seating anytime style on the first night - or open seating (based on cards passed out) but at the usual early and late dining times of 6PM and 8:30PM?

That's great to get on that early, but I didn't know you could get back off. So, is it the same as any other port then? There must be a separate entrance to get back on? Does anyone have any more information on this?

Thanks.

Yes you get off the ship and go thru and exit the cruise terminal using the same route as disembarkation. When you return you must go thru the embarkation entrance and security there. It is a very very long walk to OSJ from the Pan Am terminal so take a taxi. You could take a bus back from OSJ that drops you off at a bus stop on the expressway at the entrance road to Isla Grande. You can see the Pan Am terminal from that bus stop. To go into OSJ on a bus you would have to catch it on the other side of the exressway on Calle Ponce de Leon in Miramar section of SJ which is twice the distance to walk to.

On the Summit 11/25 Panama Canal cruise out of San Juan, departure was at 11PM however the dining room operated with standard seating (at your assigned time and table). I know this is different than what others have reported so it appears there is some leeway.

You should be able to board as early as noon. You can leave the ship and take a taxi into OSJ.

On the Summit 11/25 Panama Canal cruise out of San Juan, departure was at 11PM however the dining room operated with standard seating (at your assigned time and table). I know this is different than what others have reported so it appears there is some leeway.

You should be able to board as early as noon. You can leave the ship and take a taxi into OSJ.

When did they have the muster drill on the Summit?

I guess we'll find out more about the Galaxy as they start their San Juan Caribbean season in a few weeks.

Archived